Cusco LSD? Can anyone Confirm? Advice? Educate me :)

That is an lsd. Looking as if its cast not a billet makes me think it might be a trd item but cant be sure.

It will only fit a stock non lsd box. With the medium and long shafts pictured above.

That last picture you posted of the box in bits with the gears exposed is not his gearbox, Thats one of mine i took when either refurbing or fitting an lsd. if hes using that to sell you a rebuilt box be weary

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an lsd. Looking as if its cast not a billet makes me think it might be a trd item but cant be sure.

It will only fit a stock non lsd box. With the medium and long shafts pictured above.

Thinking about this I've never seen an oem lsd in bits. This could be one in which case, it will only fit in an Oem Lsd gearbox

Exactly pointing out your anal.

😂 How's it anal they are two completely different size shafts and how the hell would it be an oem lsd in a box that came with equal length shafts your talking nonsense and be petty Edited by Whitenoize

😂 How's it anal they are two completely different size shafts and how the hell would it be an oem lsd in a box that came with equal length shafts your talking nonsense and be petty

The oem lsd comes with closer to equal length than the open diff box, So people call them equal length even if they're not.

If this came with that setup i wouldnt be surprised if this is the oem lsd, just not in its casing.

Here is a pic of an OEM LSD box with the extra LSD casing removed and the diff still in.

98a8920ea1ef71be530368c11db6ea56_zpswnmf

Note the rod through the centre.

So going by that, im pretty sure the diff in the pics you posted Johnny is an aftermarket LSD, although unsure of make.

ok so maybe I'm confused here I've had oem lsd and non lsd boxes before the non lsd box shafts are roughly the same size and the lsd shafts are noticeably different in length so why are they called equal length? Genuine question I've never heard of lsd shafts being called equal length shafts

Edited by Whitenoize

Here is a pic of an OEM LSD box with the extra LSD casing removed and the diff still in.

98a8920ea1ef71be530368c11db6ea56_zpswnmf

Note the rod through the centre.

So going by that, im pretty sure the diff in the pics you posted Johnny is an aftermarket LSD, although unsure of make.

The bit removed is the lsd. That there is a standard open diff but somehow when combined with the extra housing with the lsd it works like a lsd disregarding the open diff part. Lol

ok so maybe I'm confused here I've had oem lsd and non lsd boxes before the non lsd box shafts are roughly the same size and the lsd shafts are noticeably different in length so why are they called equal length? Genuine question I've never heard of lsd shafts being called equal length shafts

I see where you are coming from, as looking at the picture the oem lsd does seem to have a greater difference than the non lsd.

In normal cases its beneficial to have equal length shafts on cars with lsds as it helps the diff distribute power evenly and helps reduce torque steer.

The ae111 levin bzr had it and honda have been putting on most of there sports models for years.

The bit removed is the lsd. That there is a standard open diff but somehow when combined with the extra housing with the lsd it works like a lsd disregarding the open diff part. Lol

Yeah i know man :)

exactly what I was thinking fucking stupid

Right juat had another look at everything lol.

Thats not the oem lsd out of the casing, as it has the planetary gear on it.

Sooo... it must be a aftermerket lsd. For a bog standard box.

With the equal length shafts being the stock non lsd shafts as they are closer to equal than the lsd ones 😂😂

Im too tired for this shit haha

Can i just delete this whole thread its so full of fail right now 😂😂

Dam it I left the party to early again, cheers for clearing that up Morgey. I have gathered up all the extra oem lsd parts and taken them up the garden to burn then so I can't be a part of it anymore.

Looks similar.

Edited by jamesglanza

You are being anal. Who gives a shite if I've never measured the length of an OEM Driveshafts before. Who gives a shite if you have and I can't remember reading the first post and one of the questions being what are the lengths of the drives shafts.

"Been offered a LSD, supposed to be a Cusco one that was removed from a Glanza Box with !!!!!EQUAL!!!! Driveshafts"

He called them equal I knew what he ment, I was responding to his question as he asked it. So yes your being anal.

Or what I should have done is pointed out first is how anal I am by saying that, Starlets don't come with equal length drive shaft. One is a few inches longer than the other on the OEM LSD than on none LSD one, they're totally different lengths and don't forget that not only are the shaft different length but different thicknesses as well as having different splines and different inner Cups and different CV bearing with different size inner CV boots.

lol_zps0nlv103y.jpg

some great info there few bits i didnt know there luke

so the lsd passenger side shaft inner cup wont fit in the Na box ??? think im fucked then and need to source another small shaft for the NA box ??

Edited by 5e colin

That last picture you posted of the box in bits with the gears exposed is not his gearbox, Thats one of mine i took when either refurbing or fitting an lsd. if hes using that to sell you a rebuilt box be weary

Cheers for the info. Weird, its the photos he sent me. He is on the island so will message him and see if he has the gearbox if came out of still.

Sorry for all the confusion calling them 'Equal length' Driveshalfs, look at the arguements i created! Im only going by the information I was given. Hence the thread :)

some great info there few bits i didnt know there luke

so the lsd passenger side shaft inner cup wont fit in the Na box ??? think im fucked then and need to source another small shaft for the NA box ??

The short shaft you have from the oem lsd will fit the na box.

Going by the photos its a clutch type LSD and as it has the internal cage it is probably a TRD unit although I have heard there are a number of LSD units made in the same factory and labeled as different brands. The cusco unit doesnt have the internal cage so the clutch plates are larger among other differences.

This is a TRD clutch type LSD with the older design ramps

30%20-%20LSD%20build.JPGdscn3435s.jpg

31%20-%20LSD%20building.JPG

This is a Cusco RS clutch type LSD.

img_3191as.jpg

There's probably more photos in my build thread.

And to confuse things there's also a TRD Helical unit like im currently running... :)

EDIT: Actually here's a photo of both

img_3194as.jpg

Edited by Stu
  • 4 years later...
On 4/1/2016 at 7:14 AM, Stu said:

Going by the photos its a clutch type LSD and as it has the internal cage it is probably a TRD unit although I have heard there are a number of LSD units made in the same factory and labeled as different brands. The cusco unit doesnt have the internal cage so the clutch plates are larger among other differences.

This is a TRD clutch type LSD with the older design ramps

30%20-%20LSD%20build.JPGdscn3435s.jpg

31%20-%20LSD%20building.JPG

This is a Cusco RS clutch type LSD.

img_3191as.jpg

There's probably more photos in my build thread.

And to confuse things there's also a TRD Helical unit like im currently running... :)

EDIT: Actually here's a photo of both

img_3194as.jpg

Can you shed some light please?

I own a 4efe corolla g6 6speed gearbox stock driveshafts1.3 lt, so can you please tell me which lsd fits just right in? Is it quaife for the starlet?

Preferably a helical one since it s for everyday use and little street racing and my little research came up that disc type lsd are little harder.

Thanks a lot for you time