• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dad sorted the loom yesterday, so got in plugged it into the car and went to start it and it cranked but wouldn't fire, didn't have the HKS ecu connected though so will try again sunday, if not, he thinks he knows which two wires are the wrong way round

So hopefully car will be firing and ready for mapping, well once I've done a compression test that is...

Refitted the loom with the ecu attached, it fired first time then stalled - so I'm thinking it's what you just suggested Sparky very happy to say the least

Got a mates comp tester at home just want to do that first before mapping because I still get the blue smoke after a run

Coming n nice si, when you say sps cams do you mean the speedvison as i didnt think dane ever made cams?? Cant wait to see what figures she pulls. I know we have had a fair few convos about cams so glad your happy with the pull :lol: i love my speedvision cams tbh!! Espesialy coupled with cruise springs :p

Did a compression test on the car yesterday, all 4 cylinders 130psi - is this a bit low?!

Also noticed car has too much oil, maybe this could contribute to the blue smoke

did you run the test when the engine was cold or at operating temps?

if it was cold, then no thats not a low result...

did you also have the throttle wide open when u performed the test?

Your looking for consistency with a compression test mainly... if there all 130 dead on your a lucky man!

headgasket would lower the compression ratio... but wouldnt lower the compression itself, so its still low...

id retest si tbh! wen its fully upto temp...

might be a leaky valve seat or summink cus it is low!? :) how much milage is on the bottom end?

headgasket would lower the compression ratio... but wouldnt lower the compression itself, so its still low...

id retest si tbh! wen its fully upto temp...

might be a leaky valve seat or summink cus it is low!? :) how much milage is on the bottom end?

Compression ratio and the measured cylinder compression are directly related so yes a thicker headgasket would lower both, there just isn't a way of working out one from the other.

If you increase the volume of the cylinder then you will reduce the pressure: P=F/A

Those cams would definitely lower your compression dude I looked into it before when I had a set also what size head gasket is on it and are you 100% the cams are dialed in? I remember doing a compression test on an engine with 2mm gasket and dished pistons it was 130psi across all 4 runs perfect bomb proof engine really its still running with no problems years later. Too much oil might be pushing some through the turbo seals is there an increase in pressure? Cool project dude nice work

I realised I had way too much oil like 15mm above the full line! So took some out and wanna check it after its been sitting all day today may need to take some more out, still some blue smoke, but not as dense thankfully - may need turbo oil seals replaced still tho if it proceeds

• 2 weeks later...

Lot less smoke now, could just need a long run to clear the pipes

One step forward two steps back tho lol, bought a pressure washer got the car all foamy, then when I washed it off with the Nilfisk it took a large section of paint off from under the rear driver's window, luckily just one layer, but that whole side needs work anyway so that will be done after JAE

did a lovely job on the arches lol, tbf tho the paint is 13 years old and it is that bit under the window where all the shit gathers n prob rots the top coat, not too worried tbh it'll get fixed along with the rusty arch and the scratched boot lid area - all that same panel thankfully

Things have progressed, changed the 13 year old track rod ends today and have changed to the white wheels, tomorrow tracking will be done and putting the JAM rear bumper back on and this time i'm gna put bumper supports on the bottom of it

Not a bad week so far lol