What is the difference between a Starlet GT & a Glanza?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is hardly any difference from what I've heard, other than the name, exterior and age. The only other differences are that the GT is lighter than the Glanza, but the heavier Glanza has an extra blade on the turbo to make up for it in torque. Heard some people say that the suspension is slightly updated on the Glanza, what with it being newer, but I'm uncertain about that.

It's a matter of personal preference really. They're the exact same performance stats, it's just a matter of what you like the look of the most. The only other thing is that the Glanza seems to have more aftermarket exterior bits, but thats it really.

lol good example there^^^^ep82's are for average people unlike glanza owners who try to impress girls who have their fannys out 24/7

LoL... GT's are a raw to drive compared to ep91's and imo look alot nicer and also a lot cheaper to buy/maintain

Other than the already mentioned the exhaust mountings differ slightly, GT seats are nicer IMO quite abit deeper so better hold. but again other than these few bits.... Not alot!

Suspension wise i'm unsure as i'm yet to have EP91 and EP82 setups side by side to compare although companies such as Tein List parts for both cars with identical part numbers.

However, because they were designed around the EP91 they cannot guarantee fitment for EP82's although i know a number of GT's running Glanza spec Coilies and the fitment has been spot on with absolutely NO running/setup issues.

GT's up to 1992 have a centre Hub diameter of 54mm where as 1992 onwards EP82 & EP91's all have a Hub centre of 55mm.

I could get more anal but i think i'll stop there! haha

The Glanza has a CT-9B which has an extra blade on the compressor housing to take up the 80Kg difference or whatever. Thats it. Everything else is identical.

People say the GT is lighter, and thus better. It is personal prefrence. I prefer the Glanza styling.

Its on the turbine side the extra blade.:(

I agree its mostly down to personal preference, however the Glanza is more expensive to insure, in my case by 1/3, this is becuase the data for the glanza has to be inputted manually as its not on the insurers database.

The glanza's overall structure is stronger, theres a much bigger front impact bar and additional chassis bracing, stock for stock the glanza is quicker round a track but marginally slower in acceleration.

I agree the seats in the GT are much better too.

in the BM link they talk a lot about ABS, well its the only thing i could understand, do all Glanza's have ABS standard?

No mate, only the late ones. ABS on the Starlets is cave like better without when running huge power. If stock for stock then it will be slightly better.

I'm sure Toyota slipped them a twenty to let it come out on top, they wouldn't want the old model to beat the new one would they think about it :(

You can tell how the GT driver is driving very wet like. Regardless same car just one looks like a Micra and one looks agressive. Don't get me wrong love them both, have both :(

(Runs to the woods again this time not coming back)

Its on the turbine side the extra blade. :(

I agree its mostly down to personal preference, however the Glanza is more expensive to insure, in my case by 1/3, this is becuase the data for the glanza has to be inputted manually as its not on the insurers database.

The glanza's overall structure is stronger, theres a much bigger front impact bar and additional chassis bracing, stock for stock the glanza is quicker round a track but marginally slower in acceleration.

I agree the seats in the GT are much better too.

Agreed.. although.. 98/99 spec facelift seats are the best in my opinion, nothing like the 96 spec glanza ones :(