• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another little update, and it may be one of the last now for a while :lol:

Looks like we are exchanging on the house on the 24th of this month so the buggy will pretty much stop after that date as i will be mainly beavering away on the house to try and get it in a state where we can move in, probably about 4-5 months work! ^_^ will try and get a few things done here and there but the house is the priority at the moment.

Well the HUGE tub of bodyfiller arrived last week and me and Paul (Mainly Paul to be honest) started to add the filler to the nosecone. Now comes some sanding and more filling.............

DSC02368.jpg

starting to add it.........

DSC02373.jpg

DSC02377.jpg

DSC02379.jpg

Still need to build the shape up around the front area and ignore the shape at the top of the nosecone near the passenger compartment as that will be trimmed to shape after the fibreglass stage.

Also had a few more little parts arrive, black end caps for the front top arms, clips for the coolant lines and a piece of fuel hose for the fuel pressure valve that mounted on the fuel cell.

DSC02372.jpg

Started looking at the wiring also this week while Paul was mainly working away on the nosecone. The injector wiring was my first job as i needed to extend the wiring as they where a bit stretched.

this is how it looked before.........

DSC02370.jpg

and after.............

DSC02376.jpg

Then continued working around the engine cleaning up parts and lengthening/shortening certain wires so they suit the buggy better.

Then came a package from James at CJPerformance. Thermostat housing as the one on the engine has seen better days. and the ECU connection bloack that i have been after now for nearly a year! Finally i can now finish off the engine loom and hopefully start the wiring for the lights,indicators etc.....

DSC02380.jpg

The wires on the connection block where really short so first job was to extend them all so i have something to work with...........

DSC02383.jpg

Will try this week to crack on with the wiring but probably won't have the time as i have other jobs that need my attention.

Another job i started to do was to get the driveshafts measured up and get them ready to send off. Cleaned and prepped the mini ones with no problems and then did the starlet ones. Thats where i had a problem. Went to test fit the driveshafts into the gearbox and guess what! Yep they don't fit! Turns out there are 2 different types of starlet driveshafts and when i changed the gearbox over for a LSD version i didn't get the driveshafts and the ones i have are the wrong type. Managed to drain the gearbox oil and remove the driveshaft cups to count the splines. Found out i need a set of 23 spline shafts and after lots of searching and messaging people i have 1 on the way and maybe the second as well.

Already confirmed with the guy who is going to do the work that he can do them and he is currently patiently waiting for them.

Few more little updates soon and then will be on hold for a while as the house takes over my life......LOL

Jason :)

• 1 month later...

*** Mini Update ***

Well as most of you now know i have a house and most of my time and money is currently being spent on that. I have managed to do a few little things on the buggy though and will continue to get a few little bits done, whenever i get time, so not that often then! The house has needed a lot more work then we ever thought and is going to be a real big project and although the buggy is taking a back burner it won't get left or sold! I can promise that :)

Anyway, back to the update.

Got a length of 28mm copper pipe delivered and some bends/joiners with it. This will be forming the coolant lines that run down the centre of the buggy. They are the perfect size and the joiners can be cut in half and soldered on so that they create a better fit for the silicone hose to join to, as shown here...........

DSC02396.jpg

just need to work out routing the pipes and hopefully get to it. Going to be tight with everything running down the centre but will keep it tidy if i can pull it off.

Also managed to pick up a connector for the fan switch, comes straight from a fiat cinqy but plugs striaght into the switch mounted to the side of the rad.

DSC02401.jpg

Also been looking at the steering wheel, needs to have a radiused edge but its not very IVA friendly so i have started to make a pad piece that will make it meet the regs. Ignore the blue colour at the moment as its going to get trimmed in black when i get some material.

DSC02402.jpg

After IVA i will be switching to a removable go-kart steering wheel so it gives more room, will be terrible at speed but should be ok for corners and most normal speeds.

Also finally got the driveshafts sorted via my contact on 16v mini forum. Guy named Adam who is a complete legend. Sent him both shafts and gave him the desired lengths i needed. He cut, sleeved them and welded them up. He has done shafts for honda engined mini's and starbo engined mini's so these should be all good. Was going to get them cryo treated but at £160 for the 2 i think i might just run the risk. Can get them remade for less than that anyway.

stripping down the starbo shafts.........

DSC02400.jpg

and the finished Demon shafts ready to assemble and fit.........

DSC02410.jpg

Paul has also managed to add more body filler to the nosecone and its really starting to take shape now, hopefully won't be long and i can move the buggy to my garage and start taking a mould from it.

DSC02408.jpg

DSC02407.jpg

DSC02406.jpg

Sort of a weird update as i have been working on lots of little things but i only get like 20 minutes here or 15 minutes there to do work. Just thought you all should know that i haven't given up on this :)

Jason :)

just found this project and read through it and........................................omfg this will be a flying machine, i wish i had the funds to do a project like this. I've always wanted to get a bike enginge in the back of a fiat 126, anyway good luck with the project mate and i'll be keeping an eye on this.

Steve

Thanks for the replies guys :D Always makes me feel good all the posative comments.

Crazy eyes, you don't need a HUGE budget to do something like this. I have been spending bits here and there but i reckon i have spent about 8k total. maybe a little more. Seems like a lot of money but there are people that spend way more on their cars. If you spend a little each month it soon gets done.

Jason :D

• 1 month later...

Yes the car is getting very dusty indeed, even with the dustsheet thrown over it :)

I haven't touched the thing now for months, and its just been sat there and left. I have added a little bit of body filler here and there as we use it at work and i make a point of always mixing up too much so that when i have some left i just lift the cover and add a little more to the nosecone. :)

The house we bought still needs a lot of work and i have been spending all my time and money on that. Plus my Roadster died in a big way a month or so back and i have been busting my balls trying to earn more money to pay for that. Im now going to be on my third engine in 4 weeks :p

Anyway, the Demon will not be getting sold as i just love it to bits and WILL have it done at some point. I know many kitcars get left and then people loose interest and then just sell it down the line but i promise that won't happen as i really do want it done. Just give me time, lots of time but i will have it finished :)

Jason

glad to hear you arnt guna sell as this will be full on win when its done!

even if it takes a week or 10 years im looking forward to seeing it complete :p

Yes more like 10 years than a week i think.......... :)

Anyway, the Demon will not be getting sold as i just love it to bits and WILL have it done at some point. I know many kitcars get left and then people loose interest and then just sell it down the line but i promise that won't happen as i really do want it done. Just give me time, lots of time but i will have it finished :)

That's what we like to hear! All the best with the house :p

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a little update.

The buggy is still here and i haven't really had any time to do anything on it recently with work being so busy and also trying to sort out the house. The buggy is still under a cover and gathering dust. However i did manage to go to Autosport International at the NEC on sunday and i really am wanting this thing built. Seing all the awesome cars has made me just want this thing built. I did manage to buy a few little parts for the car that i have had trouble finding and i have loads to get on with now.

My current workload is crazy but will ease up around mid march time so the plan is when there is more room in the workshop i can roll the beast forward and get cracking. Don't worry guys and gals.............one day she will see the light of day.

Thats it for now,

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to give you a poke to make sure you hadnt forgotten about us, really find this build interesting. So what have you got on your to do list to get it running and more importantly how much money do you reckon its gonna cost you to get there.

I wish i lived closer i would love to help out with this thing :)

Don't worry i haven't forgotten about you guys. I actually need very few parts to complete the project. The main expensive parts i need are some road legal tyres, probably be R888's and a hybrid CT9. Everything else i need is just little things here and there. I just need time more than enything to complete it. and thats something i have none of at the moment. However having said that there is nothing i can do on the house this weekend so i have saturday and sunday to crack on with it. :D

Thanks for the comments guys :D really makes me want to get it done even more.

@Taggy, this aint for show's mate, of course i will take it to every show i can but it aint going to win any show and shine prizes. Its purely built to be driven hard and try and shut down some supercars. and oh yes track use! :D

Right then..................

Think its that time, finally.

*** Update Time ***

Well with all my time being spent on sorting the house i have had very little free time, and with work being really busy as well i just haven't had the chance to get the buggy out and get any work done on it. The workshop is rammed and there is currently no room to get to the buggy to do any work so its just been sat under the dust sheet for the last 5-6 months.

Well today Sarah was dragged into work for the day and its too cold here (-8) to do any brickwork today so i had the day to myself. Rather than just loaf out for the day i decided to go into work with Sarah and get some work done on the buggy. Really glad i did as i managed to geta few bits done and had a good day of just cracking on with it.

First thing to do was get the workshop cleared and get the buggy out and see what was what......

how it started off the day...............

2012-02-11075742.jpg

2012-02-11075749.jpg

2012-02-11075828.jpg

2012-02-11075817.jpg

2012-02-11075844.jpg

2012-02-11075833.jpg

A few weeks back i managed to find 5 minutes to cover the steering wheel centre in foam and then suede so now hopefully its a bit more IVA friendly.

2012-02-11075905.jpg

First thing to do today was get everything sorted out as i have loads of bits just everywhere in the workshop, under my desk, in box's on the buggy etc.....

2012-02-11101137.jpg

also picked these rather nice zip on coilover covers from Autosport International a few weeks back, will keep the rear coilovers all clean and scum free....

2012-02-11083154.jpg

now im all organised and everything is easy to find when i need it.

Then i started by getting the new rear painted calipers fitted.....

2012-02-11075803.jpg

Then got the lime green gear gaiter glued to the surround and on the car.............

2012-02-11134316.jpg

Started making up the compensator for the handbrake and i think i have now sorted it. Will find out hopefully soon when i find time to fit it and trial it out.....

2012-02-11131737.jpg

Got the front nosecone filled with a bit more filler and then gave it a quick sand with the orbital and just sprayed a quick coat of primer to see the rough finish. Obviously it needs a lot more work but its getting there slowly.....

2012-02-11120327.jpg

2012-02-11120333.jpg

2012-02-11120341.jpg

While sorting out the parts under my desk i found the clear cam cover that i bought a while back. Had a little think about this as it doesn't fit on the engine with my non stop tunning adjustable cam. Decided to try and cut the standard cover up to create a spacer piece and it worked a treat. Was a bit fiddly cutting it up and sanding it smooth but im glad i spent the time. It looks spot on and you wouldn't think it was the old cover cut down. It also now means that the new cam cover has retained the rubber gasket around the edge so its sealed properly around it....

before.....

2012-02-11082611.jpg

cut up, this is the remains of the old cover......

2012-02-11101012.jpg

and the finished article, looks so good in the flesh.....

2012-02-11100857.jpg

2012-02-11100823.jpg

Really happy with the finish and its another part fitted that i had lying about.

Then got the rear plate brackets welded to the rear bar.....

2012-02-11130643.jpg

2012-02-11130634.jpg

and while i had the welder out i knocked up a quick bracket for the rear tow eye and got that welded to the rear bar as well. This will be fitted after the dreaded IVA test of course.....

2012-02-11133847.jpg

2012-02-11134145.jpg

2012-02-11134200.jpg

Well that was today :D Sort of worked on a bit of everything really but was good to get some work done on the buggy and get a few parts out of their box's and fitted. Doubt i will get any time to do much work on it now till after march when work is back to normal and im not working stupid hours.

Comments welcome as always people :D