• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Its the great comments i get from you lot that keeps me going on it. On day it will be done. I keep saying 2014 but it wont take long and it will come round. I will just keep chipping away at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thats over 1000 posts now, so that means i have been building this for FLIPPIN AGES!!!!!!!

Well not really a big update but an update none the less!

Last weekend me and Sarah went up to Autosport International and had a fantastic time, so much stuff on show and some amazing cars. Always good to look around these sort of shows as it always gives me idea's for parts and ways of doing things.

Also while i was there i picked up some parts. Got all the brake unions i need (all in brass not the cheaper alloy ones) and a new roll of copper brake line as the stuff i have has seen better days. Also got a few fuel washers and other random bits.
2013-01-13105600.jpg

I also managed to pick up a few more random carbon fibre Formula 1 parts. There was a guy selling all sorts of Formula 1 stuff and he had some good stuff. I had to really stop myself from buying one of the wheels. I don't need it for anything but i just want one! Anyway i got a few more little parts. These are good to cut up and use as small mounting brackets and as they are carbon they are mega light.
2013-01-13105722.jpg
2013-01-13105733.jpg

Been looking at continuing with the brake lines and coolant pipes and i have started to solder the coolant pipes together.
2013-01-10125846.jpg

Had a little test to see if the brake line clips fix ok to ABS plastic sheet and they seem to fix ok and are pretty secure.
2013-01-16130343.jpg

Think im going to run the brake lines along the top of the drivers side frame bar. I wanted to run them down the middle but its going to get tight with the coolant lines down the middle and is easier to look for another route. They will then be covered with a plastic tube along each side that will hide the wiring, brake lines etc. I had a go with taking a template for the front brake line but it didn't go to plan. Bit of a nightmare, i may have to remove the wiring loom and front panel so i can get better access as its a bit restrictive. Will have another go at some point, when i find time.

I also added a small piece of fibreglass along the top of the nosecone piece. Looks ok and it means the wiring is now a little more protected, just need to spend AGES sanding the nosecone now and getting it all smooth and then look at fixing it to the car.
2013-01-15075028.jpg
2013-01-15075123.jpg

Been dying to do more this week but its just been manic at work and i haven't wanted to stay late either. Im not really sure what to do with the buggy now. The workshop is getting very tight for space and im getting little done on my lunch breaks. I spend more time faffing about moving stuff and working out where to start than actually working on it so im considering moving the thing back to my parents house. Problem with that is i need to clean out the garage as its messy as anything and also im not sure how happy my brother is going to be with me as his jetski is in the garage as well and i know he won't be keen to share the space. My thoughts are that i will get more done with it at home as i can crack on in the evenings and if i need to take parts to work i can take individual parts in when i need to. Although it may be better leaving it at work, i just don't know?!?!?

This snow is stopping me do anything on it now but not really much i can do about that, but i will crack on as usual when i can.

Jason :)

Ha. Thanks.

Sometimes i think i should just get it built as quick as possible just to get it finished but i just cant resist doing stuff over the top. Too much of a perfectionist. Not always a good thing i guess, always takes twice as long, or in my case about 20 times longer

Another manic week at work, however i have stayed late a few nights so there is an update. :)

Decided this week to crack on with the brake lines. After getting the new brake line and fittings at Autosport International and finding the time to get to my mates house to collect the brake falring tool and bender i had a few tests and got to it. This is the first time i have done brake lines with copper so was a bit slow at first but soon got the hang of it and now have some very nice brake lines sorted.

Decided to start with the front lines first as these where quite straight forward, First thing to do was get the wiring front panel, suspension, radiator and fan removed. Everything seems to be in the way now so always takes longer than it should.
2013-01-20101143.jpg

I decided to use the old copper pipe i had from way back as a template and bent them up by hand to a rough shape and use the new stuff to make the proper lines. This seemed the most logical way to do it and actually apart from a few little tweeks here and there has resulted in some very good brake lines.

roughly bent the front lines to shape.....
2013-01-20104732.jpg

Then following this as a guide i transfered it to the new copper lines, added the fittings and flared the end....
2013-01-20105212.jpg

and the new line next to the template version....
2013-01-20112939.jpg

and fitted to the buggy......
2013-01-20104712.jpg

Then was time to start the rear lines. Decided to mount the brake bias valve behind the drivers seat. Its still accessible from the seat but is out of the way enough that it can't accidentally be changed. Will eventually box it in i think to make it look alot neater.

2013-01-20125504.jpg

was just clamped in place for the moment but i will weld the bracket on later when i strip the frame back down for powdercoating.
2013-01-20125511.jpg

Decided to run the rear brake lines along the drivers side chassis rail rather than down the middle of the buggy. The coolant lines take up most of the room down the middle so was best running them another way. Looks like its in the way but all will be explained later.

So firstly made a rough template again, this time alot longer than the fronts....
2013-01-20131156.jpg

Then made the proper line....
2013-01-20135506.jpg
2013-01-20135458.jpg
2013-01-20135449.jpg
all held in place with automec brake pipe clips....
2013-01-20153919.jpg

and then from the bias valve to the T piece....
2013-01-20153910.jpg

and then each side on the rear. Bit fiddly doing the lines from the T piece to the rear calipers but got there in the end.
2013-01-23122840.jpg
2013-01-23122845.jpg
2013-01-23170407.jpg
2013-01-23170423.jpg

The lines are set slightly in from the edge of the rear compartment as im adding some large air ducts to the side so the brake lines will be sectioned off from this later. Very happy with the brake lines though and now all i have to do is finish off painting the rear caliper on the left and put that on and once bled i have brakes :)

Then started looking at covering the brake lines and wiring along the chassis rail. I know some people have had problems with radius edges along the top of the chassis as well so made sense to house it all in. So went to screwfix and got a 3m length of abs waste pipe. Cut a small section out to allow it to fit over the chassis rail and did a little test to see how it will work. Looks good i think....
2013-01-20153935.jpg

So then went for the full length. I used a Japanese pull saw and it was actually very easy and the results are spot on. After a quick scrape along the cut edge its actually finished really well.
So started by masking up the section i want to cut out.....
2013-01-23185350.jpg
Then literally just carefully followed the line and removed the small section with the saw....
2013-01-23190209.jpg
and the other one.....
2013-01-23195630.jpg

I have shaped the ends so they run the full length of the chassis rails and the fit is very good. Still need to make some small end caps but its getting there. Its amazing how a small part can clean up the look of the buggy so much.
2013-01-25071600.jpg
2013-01-25071607.jpg
2013-01-25071621.jpg

Will keep all the wiring protected and will actually hide the fixings along the frame when i add the sides. Im thinking im going to make the sides from ABS plastic as its alot cheaper than carbon fibre and its going to be plastered with vinyl anyway so doesn't really matter.

I only have a small piece of ABS but you get the idea of how it will go....
2013-01-25071817.jpg
2013-01-25071829.jpg

I then also removed a small section at the front to allow the nosecone to slot into it. Thinking i can hide the fixings for the nosecone under the tube as well.
2013-01-25073920.jpg
2013-01-25074000.jpg

Paul (Legend) from work has also helped a bit this week to sand the nosecone down some more and we couldn't resist seeing what the green looks like that the body parts will be sprayed in.
2013-01-23183030.jpg

Still a long way to go on the nosecone but its a start.

Well as you can see its been a busy week, hopefully going to try and continue at this pace as its houldn't be long and after cleaning up the wiring a little, adding the driveshafts and sorting the coolant lines i won' t be far off of a few video'sof it driving around the carpark at work :)

Jason :D

Its so close to a test drive now its getting serious, all i can think of is driving it out those doors for the first time! Not going to give it death. Just going to try and keep it simple. Start up, little drive around to make sure everything is as it should be. Test lights, brakes, gear linkages etc. Its going to be hard not to just floor it from the get go. Need to be carefull though as hubs etc all need checking etc before i give it beans. Couple more weeks of work and i reckon i might have a few video's to share :D

power to weight ratio haha must be mental!!!

Yes shouldn't be too shabby. Aiming for 220bhp to begin with and i reckon should be below 600kg. I can pick the front up off the ground by myself and im not exactly strong so it should be ok. More and more i think about it the more i reckon it will need a wheelie bar :ph34r:

I would like to achieve 500hp/ton but im not sure if im ever going to need that much power, just be nice to have it i guess lol 5E, hmmmmmm......

Thanks Buddy.

Well its time for another update.

Really been cracking on with it now as its really starting to come together and the thought of driving it around the carpark at work is getting very close. Not going to give it death on its first drive but just check brakes, oil etc and just make sure everything works as it should.

As the weather has been sort of hit or miss this week I have had limited jobs I could do on the house so I have had a few days of work on the buggy. My main job this week was to try and get the coolant lines as complete as possible…..

Started by removing the front radiator and drilling 2 large holes in the front chassis roughly where the coolant lines will be going. Used a 43mm hole saw to start with…..

2013-02-03130205_zpse00acf84.jpg

Then filled out to match and added some trim. Later had to go back and open it up some more as the hoses are at a funny angle but it will work.

2013-02-03131030_zps06be3c7a.jpg

2013-02-03131507_zps7e44891b.jpg

Im going to add some extra bracing here later as the frame will have weakened from the large cutout and having the hubs near it I don’t want it twisting.

Then using the 2 civic top radiator hoses I have I roughly marked the location for the holes on the bottom of the main cabin and again with the 43mm hole cutter made some holes….

2013-02-05114623_zps22c02358.jpg

2013-02-05114615_zps3fcbf6da.jpg

Which meant the hoses fitted like this….

Front…..

2013-02-05114947_zps97fe79b4.jpg

In between chassis….

2013-02-05115007_zpscbfe969a.jpg

And inside the cabin….

2013-02-05114938_zps30ab6262.jpg

Also while I was drilling the holes it meant I could see roughly what it will look like when I pull away at the lights and the thing launches into the air. Haha

2013-02-05112053_zps0223dc90.jpg

You can see how the coolant lines will go and means they are mainly housed in and not left open to the elements or running under the buggy as I don’t want them getting damaged by speeding bumps etc.

Then refitted the radiator and continued with the front joins. Fitted a takeoff adaptor near the radiator, its perfectly located to run a short cable straight to the dash for the water temp gauge…

Refitted radiator..

2013-02-05151911_zpsec520443.jpg

Added the front hoses…

2013-02-05151955_zpsd64830c8.jpg

You can see that space is tight here but this has since been open up slightly and is a better fit and shape.

Then continued with running the coolant lines down the inside of the buggy. Have finished soldering the copper pipes. Im still in 2 minds if I should use them or get them remade in alloy. Im sure copper will be fine but a part of me won’t be happy until they are remade in alloy. I guess I could send off the copper lines and get someone to remake them in alloy using the existing ones as templates, or am I going to be fine with the copper lines? What do people think?

Anyway, got some 28mm pipe clips to hold the pipes in place and after a little test it was clear I was going to need a spacer to lift them up slightly. Laser cut some 10mm white acrylic spacers and then cut out some rubber spacers as well, these will help with vibration and also spaces it up the correct amount.

2013-02-06074500_zps88f46d24.jpg

So got the buggy jacked up, holes drilled and the clips all fitted in place…

2013-02-06190613_zpsd79692c5.jpg

Then after smashing my knuckles up a lot I got the copper pipes in…

2013-02-06193851_zpse4432cf7.jpg

And added the silicone hose to join the 2 parts together…

2013-02-06193842_zpsda13cc48.jpg

Its very close to the battery and also the clutch pedal but as long as the cover I make is very low down I don’t think it will effect the clutch and my foot..

2013-02-06193920_zps26811b25.jpg

I also had some heat protective covering arrive from Merlin Motorsport. I ordered the 50mm stuff as I thought it would be like heatshrink and be measured in its flat form but its not so its huge, however its still useable. Plan is to wrap the coolant lines to prevent heat transfer.

Slightly too big….

2013-02-06194608_zps7830024d.jpg

But can be wrapped up nicely…

2013-02-06194620_zps518bdce2.jpg

Did consider sticking both coolant lines in one covering but I want to ideally keep the two lines separate as one will be, or should, be cooler than the other.

I’m close to finishing off the coolant lines, I’m just waiting on a load of clips, connectors etc to finish it all off and then add the coolant.

As you can see I have put a few hours in this week and plan is to do as much as I can over the next few weeks. Its coming up to half term so its going to be mental at work and we are down 1 man for the next few weeks but will try and get a few more updates soon. Its very close now to a test drive, just need to fit driveshafts and connect everything up and then add fluids and its on!

Already working on the next update as we speak, postman ain’t going to be happy with me with all these parts on the way.

As always comments very welcome J

• 2 weeks later...

Right well I guess its time for another update then.

Really been putting in the hours this week, its half term next week and work will go crazy but I have managed to do a few late nights and some extended lunch breaks to get more done. Plan is to try and have it driving around the carpark on Thursday morning, its my 30th birthday so its sort of like a present to myself. Not sure if it will happen as I have a mountain of jobs to do before it can drive.

So first things first I got the exhaust removed so I could gain access to the clutch slave cylinder. The bleed nipple is very close to the exhaust so had to remove it and I managed to get another slightly shorter one bought. I still need to remove the exhaust to bleed the system but its not like it’s a huge system and only takes like 10 minutes to get the exhaust off.

2013-02-11074259_zps228844d4.jpg

Got the clutch line all bled up with my new easy bleed kit and I have to say its so easy to use and can be done with one person. Now I have a full working clutch.

Then I got the coolant system all put together, im still waiting on another 10 stainless jubilee clips but the coolant system is all now done and when the clips arrive I can get them installed and add the coolant.

Parts delivered….

2013-02-11080003_zps5e778513.jpg

2013-02-12134851_zps6ed0c270.jpg

2013-02-12134901_zps563d0870.jpg

2013-02-12134910_zps1dd2f1bb.jpg

The front left side brake line is very close to the coolant pipe but its not a problem and I reckon I can twist the brake clip slightly to give a little more room.

2013-02-12134951_zps423d45d0.jpg

Then checked the fuel lines going into the fuel regulator, there is a small leak coming from one of the joins, not sure which one but added new seals to them all and some ptfe tape to be sure. Still don’t know if I have resolved the leak but fingers crossed.

Then looked at one of the larger jobs on the list, driveshafts! Had these made up a while ago now and have been meaning to at least get them test fitted to make sure they are the right length but never got round to it. Finally got them in and can say they are perfect. Was a complete workup to get them in and then I forgot a clip on one of them so had to redo it but they are now in. Just have to rebuild one of the hubs when I get in tomorrow.

All the parts awaiting fitment….

2013-02-13170426_zpsda874472.jpg

One put together…..

2013-02-13190603_zpsafbeb2a1.jpg

And the left side in…..

2013-02-13195107_zpsb34f79b6.jpg

Right side put together….

2013-02-15130706_zpse8b065e2.jpg

Then the right side in, just need to put it all back together again…….

2013-02-15165820_zps0eeae912.jpg

2013-02-15173111_zps866726c2.jpg

Plan is to hopefully stay late a few nights this week to get it ready to drive on Thursday but I really don’t know if I will get time. The list is quite big, rebuild hub, bleed brakes, refit exhaust, fit actuator, re-do some wiring, fit seats and harness, add coolant clips and coolant, fit handbrake cable are just some of the things I have on the list still to do.

With any luck I will be updating the thread with good news on Friday and maybe even a video or two. Fingers crossed! :D

Jason

Thanks Iddy, You and me both mate, just having it running around the carpark it will really get me motivated to crack on with it. Im not going to give it death, just a gentle run to check it all works as should. :D

Sorry i didn't update this sooner but i got side tracked yesterday with the help of a bottle of Rum! But now the rum is all gone so its time to update this, although just typing this is giving me a headache (huge hangover!!!!)

This week has been hectic, ended up staying late monday, tuesday and wednesday in the vain attempt to get the buggy ready to drive on Thursday morning and it was looking like a no go!

Everything was going great until i started filling it with coolant at 8:30pm Tuesday evening and it was gushing out the back of the engine. At first i thought it was a hose that wasn't connected properly but after removing the inlet manifold it was clear that i had a NA inlet gasket fitted and one of the water channels that should be blocked on the race tech manifold was not sealed.
Water way can be seen here.....
2013-02-19200336_zpsf5813817.jpg

There was no way i was going to get a new gasket before thursday so at the moment the inlet is sealed with hylomar but a new gasket is on order and is on its way from Japan as we speak.
After a few more problems, including the fact i can't get the rear brakes to bleed i left work very late Tuesday evening with the thought that it just wouldn't get done for Thursday!!!!!

Then after a early start wednesday and a late finish all had changed, or so i thought! We rolled the buggy out of the workshop and tried to start it up. Not good news, sounded like this......

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/demon_buggy/video-2013-02-20-17-43-44_zps6d179a46.mp4'>th_video-2013-02-20-17-43-44_zps6d179a46

Was revving up without me touching the throttle, we tried franticly to fix it but ran out of light, so it was rolled back into the workshop.

Then came Thursday and after my alarm clock went off i thought about going in early to try and fix the problem or just admitting defeat. Decided to go in early and try in a vain attempt to get it fixed. To be honest i thought it was pointless as it just wasn't going to happen. However after fiddling about with the throttle cable a little and the TPS i tried one last time to start it and it and i couldn't believe it! IT WAS ALIVE!!!!!
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/demon_buggy/video-2013-02-21-07-30-04_zps8edb901d.mp4'>th_video-2013-02-21-07-30-04_zps8edb901d
Happy can not even describe how i felt, really wanted to get it working for my 30th birthday and i had finally done it, so again it was wheeled out and started it up, sounds a little better now....
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/demon_buggy/video-2013-02-21-07-35-30_zps28133390.mp4'>th_video-2013-02-21-07-35-30_zps28133390

Took a few pictures of it outside, always looks so much better when its outside the workshop and on the road....
2013-02-21080636_zps74a62e21.jpg
2013-02-21080646_zps6e875693.jpg
2013-02-21080709_zpsf1a03bdb.jpg
2013-02-21080721_zps7e0d0352.jpg

And then a little drive, nothing too fast as it was the first time its ever moved around and just wanted to check everything works. Plus i only have front brakes so can't really go too crazy.
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/demon_buggy/video-2013-02-21-08-18-15_zpsac0cec8f.mp4'>th_video-2013-02-21-08-18-15_zpsac0cec8f

Looks so mean with the staggered fittment of the wheels and im actually really happy the back got widened now :D
There is a knock coming from somewhere, its not engine related as if its out of gear and i rev it then its fine! Might be clunky cv or something but im not too fussed as i will get to the bottom of it. Its also leaking slightly on the clutch master cylinder, has a small coolant leak on the back of the water pump and there is alot of oil leaking out the side of the cambelt cover but again these will be resolved when the engine comes out and the frame goes to the powder coaters.
and a little inside footage, sounds like the devil's tractor....
http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/demon_buggy/video-2013-02-21-08-19-26_zps52e90c28.mp4'>th_video-2013-02-21-08-19-26_zps52e90c28

This just made my birthday! Finally i feel like im getting somewhere, i know its only a little closer but it just feels more real now. After nearly 6 years of building it finally its been driven :D

Girlfriend is taking me away for the weekend now just for a break but i will be back on with it next week.

Any comments welcome :D

woop! you finally made it!

the light is at the end of the tunnel!

i can remember looking at this build when i first got a starlet 4 years ago and i was like this is the most mental thing i have ever seen! its only got more mental along the way!

cant wait to see it with the bodywork on ;)

oh and happy birthday!