• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well, with it being my birthday last week i managed to get a 'Hall Pass' from the girlfriend and for my birthday i was allowed to spend some cash on the buggy. Go figure, its my birthday and that means i can spend my own money on me for a change lol

Anyway, managed to get a few things bought before the pass expired........

Mikalor clamps for the intercooler pipework.......

2012-02-16102124.jpg

green alloy valve caps......

2012-02-21095447.jpg

and some small headlights, only 105mm across the lens and they are very light, but are built really well and even have sidelights, dipped and main beam all in one unit. They will look awesome when i finally get them fitted..........

2012-02-22122820.jpg

2012-02-22122842.jpg

2012-02-22122832.jpg

Not many more parts i actually need now. However money or parts are not the problem, the ONLY problem is finding time to actually finish the thing and just put the parts together. Hopefully work will ease off soon and with the house ticking over i can get a few days in on the buggy :D

As always the comments are greatly recieved......... :D

Jason :D

• 3 weeks later...

Small update.

I found about 20 minutes free this week so got a few more parts ordered and managed to make a new spoiler :D

Got these flick switches in green, not sure what i will use them for yet but will match with the rest of the green theme.

2012-03-17115241.jpg

Then i managed to find a little free time and some 10mm acrylic we had lying about. Decided to make a clear acrylic spoiler for the buggy, looks pretty good if you ask me and not too bad for a quick job. I haven't taken the backing off of most of it yet (just one end piece). Might sticker it up or do something with it??? not too sure, just need to router the edges so they have a nice radius and its all good.

Luckily we have a huge laser cutter at work so spent my lunch break sorting this out.....

being cut on the laser..........

2012-03-04153822.jpg

2012-03-04153857.jpg

Pieces cut out......

2012-03-06125252.jpg

and then all bolted together in place......

2012-03-17165124.jpg

2012-03-17165130.jpg

2012-03-17165136.jpg

2012-03-17165144.jpg

Would love to know what you guys think? :D

My big work deadline is this week and next week i can finally start taking holiday again (now have 7 weeks in total to use this year) so next week im off to find some sun but then when i return i can crack back on with the buggy finally :D

• 1 month later...

Think its that time again :)

Well after the Stoneleigh kit car show and having a spin in Steves MGF engined buggy i was blown away. That thing goes like a rocket and it has really got me wanting mine done now. I think Steve said his was about 125bhp and that was more than enough power! However i am still keen to eventually aim for about the 200 mark. Obviously i just need to get it done first!

Well Monday was raining which meant i couldn't work on the house so decided to go into work and get some done, shame that. lol Aiming to have this built for next year in May so i can get to the show. I probably won't make it but going to try my hardest and really try to get it done.

Anyway, pictures are what people want.......

Back to sanding down, filling, sanding the nosecone.....

2012-05-03182829.jpg

2012-05-03192745.jpg

I think thats probably about as smooth as im going to get it before i add the fibreglass as there is no point getting it uber smooth just to have to spend ages on the fibreglass doing the same thing. Got a little primer on it just to see it a bit better and have to say i really do like the nosecone. I think im just going to go up the sides to where the primer stops as i think the extra bit doesn't really add much to the design.

2012-05-03195405.jpg

2012-05-03205857.jpg

2012-05-03205906.jpg

2012-05-03205850.jpg

Then started looking at mounting the headlights, only made one bracket so far but i now have the template for the second one so won't take long. Still not sure if the headlight location will pass IVA as it states they need to be max of 400mm from the edge of the car but the rear is wider than the front so unsure but if it fails i will extend them out on stalks for the retest and then put them back after the test.....

one bracket......

2012-05-07143455.jpg

clamped in place, going to grind the original bracket down slightly and weld it on.

2012-05-07143048.jpg

Makes the front look a little more complete now.....

2012-05-07143057.jpg

2012-05-07143128.jpg

2012-05-07143101.jpg

and just a random shot off the deep dish wheels with the slicks.....

2012-05-03210031.jpg

Also been working on adapting the acewell speed sensor to fit to the toyota speedo cable and im almost there with it. This means i will have a better more reliable solution for the speedo. Will get pictures next time im working on it.

Would love to get on with it some more this weekend but in a few hours im flying out to Barcelona :) Me and Sarah are going to watch the spanish F1, got a full weekend pass so should be awesome. Sarah is nuts about F1 so its more for her than me lol

And then the following weekend is when it starts to pick up some more. Have the buggy booked in with JDModified to have the engine wiring finally finished off. Hopefully this means when the key is turned the thing will actually start up. Really looking forward to this and fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. Then the plan is to shortly after this get it moved to my garage to quickly get the fibreglassing underway for the nosecone. Watch this space for more updates soon......

Edited by jason_l

Thanks for the comments guys :D

Don't worry Socks i will happily take people for a spin in it. I went in a MGF 1.8 engined version on the weekend, exactly same buggy as mine although looks alot different but same chassis underneath, slightly different wheel base and mines wider at the rear. His has 125bhp and it went like a rocket!!!!! Felt more like a rollercoaster than a car if im honest so i can only image how mental mine will be. Really want this built so bad now.............