yes yes yes yes YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!

love it this is an awesome update nose cone looks awesome and them pics of it with the headlight on makes it look like Demon Brum again :p

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Steve, yes got a bit of momentum to it now don't it.....

Well the F1 in spain was EPIC, had an awesome time and the race was great. Would have been nice to see Mclaren do a little better but still was great. Did pick up a little something for the buggy though........

2012-05-15190304.jpg

Anyway, got back early monday morning and spent the day cleaning out my garage ready for this weekend and the possibility of getting some fibreglass work done. Its getting there, moved alot of boxes and now i think there will be just enough room to get it in there. Aim is to get it fibreglassed as quick as possible and get it back to the workshop to crack on with other parts of it.

Well back to work on Tuesday and the 'drunken' ordering i did last week on ebay was shown to its extent, luckily i didn't have much money in paypoo so it wasn't too bad really.

Started with some nut covers and green bolt/screw caps.........

2012-05-15103412.jpg

next package contained a K&N oil filter, this is huge compaired to the standard filter and even has a nut attched on the end for easy fitting/removal.....

Standard size filter on the oil filter bracket.....

2012-05-15103421.jpg

and compared to the new FAT filter.......

2012-05-15103450.jpg

might need to tweak a small bit of the frame but will fit in the end.

Also had some Harley davidson Fork clamps. These are used to relocate the indicators to the front forks. Im planning on using these as mirror mounts, they said they where for 39mm forks and the frame is made from 38mm steel but im happy to report they fit perfectly. They have a great radius on all edges so should be IVA prrof but i may need to just cover the bolts slightly.

Fresh out of the pack........

2012-05-15103714.jpg

threaded the ends M10 x 1.25........

2012-05-16122624.jpg

and fitted to the frame roughly in place.....

2012-05-16124006.jpg

2012-05-16123952.jpg

I then roughly added the mirrors i have, would love to keep these mirrors but im going for slightly larger mirrors that are on order and should be here tomorrow. Will simply screw into place and should be IVA friendly....

2012-05-16124257.jpg

2012-05-16124312.jpg

2012-05-16124306.jpg

Got a few more things to sort tomorrow and friday and then fingers crossed a large update this weekend......... :D

Jason :D

lol thanks buddy. Yes fingers crossed. Will still be a while yet but its getting there. Another buggy went to IVA this week, same chassis as mine and it failed, but only on a few minor things which means a retest and all sorted. Made me feel a bit better about doing mine though and im not a million miles off......

Right well the last few days have been pretty manic, im shattered now and just want a couple of drinks and mong out......

Thursday the mirrors turned up, look pretty good actually and they simply just screw onto the clamps i have. Just adding a few little bits to the buggy makes it look so much more complete.

new mirrors.....

2012-05-17104921.jpg

on the buggy........

2012-05-17122520.jpg

2012-05-17122538.jpg

Also managed to get the Acewell speed sensor modified and its all ready to go, simply just fits into the speedo cable end and converts the mechanical movemement to a electrical pulse that will show the speed the buggy is doing.

2012-05-17073350.jpg

Also got a 50 Cal ammo box, i might use this in the compartment at the rear of the buggy as almost a lockable glove box, has a waterproof seal around the top, not sure yet though, its currently being used as a toolbox.

2012-05-17073256.jpg

Friday i got into work early and got the car cleaned down and stuff packaged ready to go today......

2012-05-18073444.jpg

2012-05-18073455.jpg

2012-05-18073505.jpg

Then today i have spent the day picking up the trailer, picking up buggy, driving to and from JDModified and finally dropping the trailer off and storing the buggy in my garage so i can start the fibreglassing. Its great watching peoples faces as they see the buggy on th trailer and i had quite a few people stop and stare at it as i drove past. :D

Im absolutely shattered but its been a very good day. I have to say a HUGE thankyou to Lee at JDModified who has been an absolute legend today. He knows his stuff when it comes to wiring Toyota engines and i couldn't have done it without him.

Got the buggy to JDModified at about 11am and about 2-3 hours later and a quick trip to the petrol station to fill up the jerry can...........

IT LIVES!!!!!

Yes thats right the engine got started up today, its actually alot louder than i thought it was going to be and i may have to get a cat fitted :(

First attempt..............

th_video-2012-05-19-14-16-27.jpg

Had a few minor things to sort, mainly lack of fuel and a few leaks, then second attempt.....

th_video-2012-05-19-14-18-21.jpg

Was running a bit poop, turned out to be air getting in around the throttle body and a port that wasn't blocked off on the inlet manifold. But then on the third attempt she started up and ran great. Now i did have a video of it running on the third attempt but i tried to upload it to Facebook and its now corupt the file on my phone! :(

But anyway, she runs and im over the moon. :D

Then there was just enough time to get it moved to my Garage ready for the fibreglass fest. Rolled it round the back with my bro, actually looks awesome when i rolled it off the trailer and just seeing it parked on the road makes it look so much more real.

2012-05-19174612.jpg

and all tucked up in its new home for the next week or so.....

2012-05-19175325.jpg

Well thats it for another day. With any luck it won't be long before i have the fibreglassing done and im moving it back to the workshop :D

Well yesterday was the day we decided to crack on with the fibreglassing. Paul from work came along and gave me a hand, complete legend, couldn't have done it without him.

Was like working in a oven and i was swaeting my ass off but got it mostly sorted and plan is to now get a few more layers on it tomorrow evening and then get it moved back to the workshop at some evening next week before the new director starts work. lol

starting to add some fibreglass......

2012-05-23184113.jpg

2012-05-23184106.jpg

2012-05-23184055.jpg

and with a even(ish) layer added all over......

2012-05-23194930.jpg

Didn't really care about getting the garage all mucky as its going to be torn down and rebuilt at some point so no need to clean up lol

Then today i went back to just clean up the sharp edges and get ready for tomorrow....

2012-05-24175047.jpg

After the fibreglass is removed from the front i can crack on with getting the wiring done back at the workshop and work on the nosecone at my garage seperately.

More updates coming soon :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a busy old week really. Work has been hectic but still found some time to sort out a few little bits :D

Friday i got back to the garage and got the next coat of fibreglass on the nosecone. Again a big thanks to Paul for working in the heat to help layer up the bumper and it was looking great.

Didn't get any time over the weekend to get any done as i was working on the house both days and i was shattered come monday. However monday i needed to look at moving the buggy back to the workshop so after work i rushed home just to load up the trailer and get back to work. Thanks to my bro for giving me a hand loading and unloading the trailer. Got the buggy back to work and the trailer back to JDModified.

Then Sarah ended up working late on tuesday and wednesday which meant i was forced to stay on and get on with the buggy, such a shame :D

started off like this.......

2012-05-29123730.jpg

2012-05-29123735.jpg

sort of bearded bumper, so trimmed the whiskers off........

2012-05-29130654.jpg

Then after a lot of pulling, some wooden wedges and a rubber mallet this happened.......

2012-05-29174616.jpg

2012-05-29174624.jpg

I did manage to crack the bumper at the sides as it really didn't want to come off but its easy enough to repair and re-enforce from the back.

2012-05-29174629.jpg

2012-05-29174645.jpg

Then removed all the stuck on foam/ply and filler.......

2012-05-29174656.jpg

2012-05-30164950.jpg

still got a little more to remove but its almost there. Got it on the scales and its currently 8kg for the whole thing. Pretty happy with that but it will go up slightly more with the gel coat layer.

Then started cleaning up the front and trimming to fit the buggy better.......

2012-05-30182736.jpg

2012-05-30182750.jpg

2012-05-31080051.jpg

2012-05-31080059.jpg

2012-05-31080113.jpg

Still need to trim it down to fit perfectly but its slowly getting there. Have taken some measurements and its all looking true and square, just a little bit of fetling on the top part. Then i can clean it up and start getting the gel coat layer on. Im still going to make a splitter that fixes to the bottom edge to make it look a little more meaner.

Then i thought i would test fit the front rad and i must say its PERFECT. looks so good and fitment is spot on, can't see any of the edge parts. Then added some mesh i have, to be honest i think it looks better without the mesh but i may leave it in for the extra protection it gives to the rad.

with rad and no mesh..........

2012-05-31125321.jpg

2012-05-31125258.jpg

2012-05-31125306.jpg

and then with the mesh roughly in place....

2012-05-31125500.jpg

2012-05-31125507.jpg

Think its starting to come along quite a bit now and looking a bit more complete.

Next plans are to continue with the bumper work and begin looking at the cooling pipes and the brake lines. Still in 2 minds if i should use copper pipes or braided lines throughout the buggy?!?!?

More to come soon,

I love how this is looking. Getting closer by the day !!

Looks miles better without mesh but like you said its alot safer with. Might be worth seeinf if theres a fines wired mesh or getting silver mesh and seeing if it looks any better ?

Thanks buddy, really trying to crack on with it and get as much done when i can as want it done so bad now.

Well after someone from another forum started talking about headlights and how i should get the projector headlights i started thinking what it would look like with the headlights fitted.

Today i had to go into work as usually when the weather is bad we are packed and they need a technician to carry out repairs to the exhibits and be there for general support. Even though the weather is gloomy the public have decided to stay at home and watch the Diamond Jubilee, thanks queeny ;D So as there wasn't many public in at work i got on with the buggy.

Got some light brackets made up. Needed to take a grinder to the chassis to modify the existing brackets slightly but nothing too bad really. Im going to need to space the lights out further to meet IVA regs but this is their final location when road legal me thinks. I have some indicators from a sym scooter that look amazing and they will be mounted on another bracket next to the lights, just need to fab something up this week.

I really like the look of it now, its amazing how adding a few little bits can really make it look so different.

2012-06-03135443.jpg

2012-06-03135409.jpg

2012-06-03135400.jpg

2012-06-03135426.jpg

As always comments welcome :D

Oh. My. God. This is getting even more fucking epic! I havent seen this thread in a long time and again, I find myself rubbing my eyes in disbelief!

So glad your sticking at it Jason, keep up the good work!!

Thanks guys, its comments like this that keep me motivated, must be doing something right i guess :D

Im currently at work at the moment but got my fingers crossed that not many people turn up, giving me time to just get stuck in on the buggy more :D

Edited by jason_l

Well while people where enjoying their extended weekend i was at work covering workshop duties again today. Luckily nothing really broke down and apart from sorting a few things out and a fire alarm going off and having to evacuate the building i was free to get on with the buggy.

Started by looking over the rear calipers i bought and it looks like they won't be any good. The part that the brake lines fix to is to near the driveshaft and the gaiter will foul on it and rip after a short use so going to have to change them for some golf mk2/3/4 calipers that have the fixings moved slightly. Hopefully already on the case with these :D

Anyway this sort of put a downer on the day as it means redoing parts i have already finished, or thought i had finished. I did however carry on with it and managed to get some bits done.

Got the horn fitted under the nosecone and started extending the wires to the acewell speed sensor located at the rear of the chassis and generally getting my head around the wiring. Going to take a little work to sort through this.

Then after a coffee break i thought i would look at the front indicators. I started off thinking that i would need to create some sort of bracket to fix them too and after a little play with some bits of steel etc i still wasn't happy with the way things where looking. So then i had a brainwave and thought why don't i just fix the indicaters directly to the headlights. Ok, sounds a bit crazy i know but im very happy with the outcome. Decided that the indicators would look great fixed to the side of the headlights and after a deep breath set to it.

Started by laser cutting a acrylic jig so i could get the same on both headlights and then dissmantled the headlights, one screw and they where apart......

2012-06-04123952.jpg

fixed the jig in place and marked the holes to be drilled..........

2012-06-04125056.jpg

Then it was time for the point of no return. Deep breath and got to it with a drill and needle file.......

2012-06-04130905.jpg

The indicators i have are a very similar shape and style to the headlights but there was just one thing bugging me. The 'E' marking on them would be sideways if i fixed them at the side. So i took them apart as well.....

2012-06-04124823.jpg

and just by shear luck i discovered that the internals could actually be rotated through 90 degrees and locked back into place. This meant that the marking would be the right way up. I know it doesn't matter really but it would have bugged me and im a bit of a perfectionist. So once rotated and put back together they looked like this.....

2012-06-04125041.jpg

Then fitted the indicator to the headlights and after trimming the thread down a couple of mm all was good.....

2012-06-04131017.jpg

Now i know at this point it looks like some sort of amputated mickey mouse head but once all back together will look loads better. Lens back on and ready to fit in place, look very neat if i do say so and almmost looks like they came like that as standard. Very happy with the outcome :D

2012-06-04131333.jpg

2012-06-04131345.jpg

Then the same procedure for the second unit and i ended up with it looking like this.......

2012-06-04134339.jpg

2012-06-04134400.jpg

2012-06-04134350.jpg

I think they look great but please let me know what you guys think, obviously there is no changing them now as i have drilled them up though lol

looks realy smart just shows the dedication to perfection that you cant even have the e mark on the lights not 100% lol .

one question tho were do you work think i need to get a job there :p

lol thanks buddy. Yes the E markings would have bugged me. There are a few things i need to sort all over the buggy that are small niggly things.

I work at INTECH science centre and planetarium as a technician. Basically make the exhibits and maintain the existing ones. Spend my days making weird and crazy exhibits. Sort of explains the buggy really lol