David Ashton's 98 Spec TD04 Glanza - Updated 02/04/2015

Glad it's treating you well mate. Yeah time goes fast!

Looks very smart with the rear lip, it's something I always wanted to do but was worried the paint may not match up exactly. You at Japfest this May? I'll have a peek for it if so :)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just a little update on this one.

Nothing major ever happens with it so I have been concentrating on keeping it clean, built up a nice little collection which keeps it in tip top condition. I did fully detail it a bit back but have yet to do a write up.

8689276361_bf16b53ca3_c.jpg

Random reflection shot on the door :)

8689213929_073494c340_c.jpg

and some cool bonnet / roof reflections

8690271530_126f814f69_c.jpg

It now running on its brand spanka new summer rims. Rota Slipstreams in 15 x 7 with Parada Spec 2's. It took an age for me to decide what alloys to run. I couldn't decide whether to go nice and lairy with some red GT3's or go slick and clean with the slips. In the end I went with the slips, now I like them but I am not 100% sold on them, I think it looks a bit boring now if I am honest, nothing particularly stands out anymore. Chances are I will just run these this summer then sell them on and get something else next summer season but here is how it stands with them.

8689147219_f091f446f0_c.jpg

8690258120_14856f20a4_c.jpg

8690231780_10d8e64edb_c.jpg

8689107271_572f3667a0_c.jpg

I did go with Neo Chrome extended wheel nut which I think look mint, would like some more Neo Chrome bits to be honest.

8689109303_18411f609a_c.jpg

Opinions welcome, it does feel very clinical and boring at the moment for myself and I am not sure what to do with it now to make it stand out now. Will have to see what happens and what comes available.

Edited by DavidAshton

enjoyed this read. lovely car mate. i have black slipsteams and have been thinking about going white for some time now. i think you may have just made my mind up :) i like them

there's one thing i would do extra but i wont let that out just yet.

top car mate, keep it up

Looking good Dave! Paintwork looks amazing and the new wheels suit it well!

Think I preferred the HM3's though, but it's a shame the polished/adonised Rota's corrode/peel

Lovely Motor Mr Ashton!

Was good to see you again at Japfest!

We shall have to have a catch up and lil photoshoot when mines running again!

Yeah sound I am always up for Starlet antics just drop us a line when you are up and running.

Looking good Dave! Paintwork looks amazing and the new wheels suit it well!

Think I preferred the HM3's though, but it's a shame the polished/adonised Rota's corrode/peel

Yes that's exactly why I didn't get any alloys with lips, although they look mint I cant justify spending all that money and they lasting a year and start peeling :sad:

I still cant find that something special for it, I was thinking maybe a carbon bonnet but for that kind of money I might as well upgrade the brakes for some decent one as its the only area that really lets this car down. I don't know I will keep looking.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on this one.

I did the unthinkable and sent £400 to James @ CJ Performace but luckily it all came good and I ended up with these!

8781781130_f1374b3f27_b.jpg

Never even thought about coilovers but when I see them brand new at £400 I just had to!

They look super smart in the arches now!

8865608283_94d31315b8_b.jpg

I did what I image most people do when the first get coilovers and lower them as much as possible!

So here I had the fronts as low as I could get them without scrubbing and the rears lower with plenty to go!

8866201460_861a7fe1de_b.jpg

8865591901_e31edeec7e_b.jpg

But I didn't like the rear that low as it looks like there is a fat person in the back or the car is broke. In the end I lifted the rear I think 40mm over what it is in that picture, I have a bit of forward rake which I suit my driving perfectly. A more recent pic with the final ride height is here.

9421083727_98d3ee9449_b.jpg

I was never fussed with coilovers in the past but now I don't think I would have a car without them. Absolutely transformed the car. I was expecting an improvement in the corners which obviously came but the biggest difference is how well it puts the power down now and accelerates and the same again with braking, improved massively. Well sold on them now.

No further updates or plans really just a few interior goodies to fit / change as my DEPO gauges were fucked.

Just read this whole thread, love the car mate! It's nice to see someone just keeping the car loved and enjoying it, rather than it just sitting off road and having thousands sunk into it.

Coilovers look mint mate, white slips suit it too. I can understand why you're toying with the idea of something louder though :)

Just read the whole thread mate stunning V :) i'm from rotherham too! I'v recently brought a glanza so i hope to see you soon if your ever down ship hill. My mate has a black glanza V you'v propz seen him around he's owned that for some time now

• 1 year later...

Been an absolute age since I last updated this, couldn't even find the thread at first! So here goes.

I removed the poor quality and not very accurate depo gauges and got myself a proper Japanese HKS mechanical boost gauge. I forgot the level of quality you get with the proper Japanese stuff, so much better than all this cheap made in china rubbish. So mounted this right hand side so I can actually look at it while driving.

14471877033_6f7ee13875_b.jpg

14449387724_92d1657656_b.jpg

I had also removed my depo water temp gauge, I liked being able to keep an eye on water temps but couldn't find a matching HKS gauge so I also made a digital water temp gauge to go in place of the defunct passenger seatbelt warning light in the centre console, I moved the rear window demister and mounted it driver side, looks very OEM is well out of the way unless you actually look for it, works really well just how i wanted it.

14451705155_49ce2b05d7_b.jpg

It was probably 2 years ago i changed those bits, how time flies!

After that I was looking it replacing the discs and pads for stock items when it became apparent you can put an much bigger and better kit together for much less money.

After a lot of messing about I ended up using a MK6 Celica caliper with a 256mm dics, this is the same diameter as a stock disc but much thicker and a much bigger caliper. They look a beast on the car!

14447140891_efaf44dcf9_b.jpg

So much bigger than standard setup!

14260204789_2809eeae80_b.jpg

And they fit perfectly behind the slips with just a few mm to spare.

14257985479_42d43cd4e4_b.jpg

Obviously the fluid was changed at the same time, went with ATE Super Racing Blue fluid and pulled all this ugly looking stuff out of the system. The brakes are now immense, massive impovement over stock and I can get them in that perfect zone where it just breaks traction before flicking the ABS on, they stop so hard and dont fade, winner and you can put this kit together for sub £100!

14449387844_0dd4cab642_b.jpg

After this I did the unthinkable and sorted out the engine bay! Rocker cover was leaking, spark plug seals were shot and everything was still filthy from when I blew oil all over the bay. So I set about replacing all the leaky seals and gave it a much deserved clean. I was really satisfied with the results to be fair.

16805261197_5a26ee07d0_b.jpg

This left me with the perfect setup to have a little track fun! So I ran at Japfest 2 in one of the short 20 minutes sessions. The car was an absolute pleasure to drive, it was my first track experience so I dint go balls out or anything just took it steady and enjoyed it. I was expecting the car to feel hammered when I had finished and a bit loose, but nothing of the sort it just seemed to take it all with no issues at all! Here are pics on the track!

16986682336_cf4afa99e9_b.jpg

16986675646_6ea557f8da_b.jpg

16392511373_24ff2cd139_b.jpg

16825131910_e83ae9dc34_b.jpg

16805245187_0e3c1f1543_b.jpg

After Japfest up to a few month ago the car was faultless and still my daily driver. I did put it up for sale at one point as I had just started a family and felt I needed to get rid but I soon realised it was too special to let go so I kept hold of it! Here are a few random phone pics I just like.

14542175185_66c7be841d_b.jpg

16825123860_f41d3bfeab_b.jpg

I just like the way the wheels come flush to the arches on this one.

17011243342_a1b829445b_b.jpg

It was used come rain or shine or even snow!

16390221384_d3613e3164_b.jpg

Then came a bit of trouble nothing major but enough to cause me to lose a bit of interest......

The input shart bearing on the gearbox failed which caused it to make an horrific noise and partial throttle. As the car was still a daily driver it made sorting the gearbox a bit of a challenge, I couldnt have it off road to get the gearbox rebuilt as I neede it to get to work so I had to go down the route of sourcing a second hand box and getting someone to fit it as I wasnt confident I could do it myself over just a weekend.

So, I sourced a supposably perfect box and got it fitted, now the replacement box whined much more than my original box which slowly drove me mad. So I then had to comtemplate getting the original box rebuilt and again getting it re-fitted. This was going to end up costing much more than I wanted to be sinking into this issue and I just got fed up of it all. The exhaust was also smashed in and rattled as the baffles in the mid box as my route to work involved speed bumps which gratually killed it.

So after much consideration a month ago I picked up a new daily.

16915195431_8088bbe922_b.jpg

And put the Glanza in the garage, still filthy as I had just got fed up of it. I know they were only small issues but it was enough having had the car for so long to warrant a bit of a change.

So that is that, the Glanza is now SORN and off the road! Now I have the daily driver it means I can actually get the Glanza sorted how I want it, run it as a weekend car and enjoy it again hopefully!

Nice shots there enjoy reading the updates, are these brakes a straight fit from the celica not modifying? Looks great glad you kept the faith :)

The calipers are direct fit the only thing you need to do is get a part of the disks machined. PM if you you want to know more.

Shame about the Glanza but get it fixed for the weekends! B)

How you liking Lift!?

Lift is rad, had no idea what to expect first time I drove it, was pleasantly surprised how much it actually kicks. Hard work to drive the Corolla fast though as the power is so far up the revs and the gears are so long.

To be honest I hardly drive it fast, it's just super nice and comfy compared to the Glanza, has the optional alcantara / leather interior which just makes it a real nice place to be.

Got the Glanza washed today! Really wanted to drive it to be fair but sorned it so couldn't. I already have a new exhaust for it so that's that but sorted. Needs a new gearbox mount so will do that same time as exhaust.

Hopefully I will have it back on the road for Japfest 2!