• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have some good news and some bad news.

Good news the shedlet passed its MOT yesterday. Headlamp aim was out but I said I would sort it while it was still on the ramp. It drove well, gearbox was sound, engine was good also.

Now to the bad point.

The car refused to boost past 0.2bar. Not good.

I got the starlet back to the unit and had a good look around. No boost leaks, clips were tight and the shaft of the turbo spun freely. I decided to remove the turbo from the car.

I then checked the turbo and found the shaft on the impeller side has been bent. The impeller blades were fubar and I needed another turbo. Going to the scooby breakers on Tuesday/wednesday.

Cheers for the comments. Yea MOT went better than expected. I'll get some pics of the turbo up when I strip it down. Hopefully have the car rebuilt with new (or replacement) turbo on weds.

Well I got another turbo from the breakers yard for exchange of the old td04l. Took it to work, stripped and cleaned both housings and rotated them to suit the starlet. Fitted the new turbo and it ran fine. Took it down the road and found to be now boosting 0.6bar. Spot on.

Then I left the car idling outside my unit. Came back outside and blue smoke from the exhaust. Not excessive though. Now I know the engine is good ( did another compression test just to be sure ) so that means the turbo seals have gone. So I'm thinking of having it rebuilt. New seals, bearings and thrust plate.

Next question, where is best to get it rebuilt? I've heared AET turbos are good in wakefield. Any feedback from them?

Mate your not having much luck with these tdo4's at the moment but at least if it's only a little puff off smoke mate it will be fine for a while till u get funds to re-build glad all is running ok now mate

Cheers for the link john. I'll get a quote from them and see what they van offer me.

Yea not having too much luck with these td04 turbos at the moment Adam. On the upside though it now boosts up mint and goes like a bullet. Hopefully getting it insured this weekend.

Well the saga continues. Turbo number 2 has blown its oil seals as above. So I've rang around a few conpanys and I've had quotes around 200 to repair my turbo. Thing is I can get a new cartridge for 180 delivered to my house. That's a new core, bearings, shaft, oil seals and impellar. The unit is fully balanced and ready to go. So its a wait until pay day now till I can get a new cartridge and actually get the car taxed and insured.

Its first show should be japfest 2 all being well. :(

Yea kinda bit far for us really and charl was working. Fingers crossed will all be done for japfest 2. Plus its only at donnington. :) can't wait to actually get it mapped and stuff

Hey Adam, yea she runs well now although I think the oil seals have gone in the turbo. As above I'm waiting for pay day to sort out a new/recon unit. I may have come across another problem now though. The drive shaft oil seal on the passenger side has failed and is leaking oil pretty bad. So I'm going to get one from camskill soon.

Also a question if any one can answer it for me.

The banjo bolt for the oil on top of the turbo, am I correct in saying it should only have a small hole in it for the oil? One small single hole about 1.5mm in diameter? If so I think my turbo may be fine as I have a banjo with two holes and about 3mm diameter at the moment. Oops.