Toffs Forged 5E VF35 99Spec White V :(

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link mate, ordered a bulb. Gonna be able to see inside my car! FINALLY!!

Let me know when your ready to have the turbo done dude and I'll get it collected for you!

Cant believe you havent had one for that long!

And hopefully next week or so dude when the Billet wheel arrives, then you lot can work your magic.

Few more photos of said turbo anyway, Spent hours on this today cleaning up castings, Port matching the exhaust side and oversizing it so it should make more power. Knife edged and angled the inlet also and removed all excess material to create a cleaner entry for air onto the compressor wheel.

11Blade BILLET Wheel should arrive shortly then Midland can get it rebuilt for me!

20140201_173514_zpse5a2270d.jpg

20140201_173540_zps2a765f6c.jpg

20140201_173555_zps37f2ead5.jpg

20140201_173523_zps2059fbf8.jpg

Thanks for looking

You know your interior light? Does it light up when you unlock the car? And also does it come on with both doors and opening of the boot? Sure mines faulty. Chinese bag of shit :haha:

Wouldn't worry about cleaning the housings too much dude that's part of our service ;)

• 1 month later...

You know your interior light? Does it light up when you unlock the car? And also does it come on with both doors and opening of the boot? Sure mines faulty. Chinese bag of shit :haha:

Wouldn't worry about cleaning the housings too much dude that's part of our service ;)

Mine doesnt light up when i unlock it no, only comes on when i open the doors not the boot.

Never had a problem with it for ages and same in the N/A Lol! Sure your poppers on the door are okay?

Awesome update, great news with the turbo. I just had mine back from Liam it looked brand new after he finished with it

I Cant wait to get it back, looked epic in the photos he sent me and its here tommorow :D

Big update

As above the VF35 Is back from Liam D @ Midland Turbo tommorow, after its full rebuild

There was a slight problem when rebuilding however, the 11 Blade billet wheel i was provided was 4mm too big... This was at first a bit of a nightmare as they have a ceramic insert which is very hard naturally to hone out. Hours later liam managed it and i now have a 51mm Billet 11blade wheeled VF35 :D

Luckily i have removed a large amount of material from the exhaust side which should even out the A/R With the larger wheel. All being well this turbo should flow not far off 400hp! Hopefully the ported head can flow this much air lol but we will see.

To go with this lot also i ordered a few bits which should be here tommorow all being well!

• IHI Turbo blanket
  • VHT Ceramic paint for the Zisco manifold and downpipe
  • Magmawrap for the above
  • Tial V38 Vband wastegate
  • 38mm Stainless screamer piping

Will be fitted ASAP and tested before i source my ECU And arrange to get it mapped when i have the funds

Cant wait!

TT

Turns out I do have a fucked door sensor and that's throwing the light out haha!

Cheers for the business on the turbo mate :) hope you're happy with it. Get some pics up of it and keep me posted on what it makes!

Love your updates

Thanks mate and yours are epic also!

Turns out I do have a fucked door sensor and that's throwing the light out haha!

Cheers for the business on the turbo mate :) hope you're happy with it. Get some pics up of it and keep me posted on what it makes!

Hahaha i thought you would!

And pics below :D

Only just had a catch up on the build toffa, you have been damn busy! Good job!

Thanks sam, and yeh its been all go with this bit crackers really but oh well

Anywayyyyy heres a quick update, havent had time to fit it yet but will be going on this weekend

As you may know the VF35 Went to Midland Turbo for a rebuild, and i provided an 11Blade Billet wheel for him to fit. The wheel was 4mm too big and needed a lot of machining to make it fit and work correctly. Of course this was not a problem and all sorted, So while i waited the 2 DAYS (Thats it, 2 days!) For it to arrive a ordered the rest of my gear for the kit, wastegate, heatwrap, VHT Paint etc etc.

And then the turbo arrived, Oh my god i was impresssed, looks absolutely Spanking!

Anyway enough of that, heres a few photos. Got my mate to weld the VBand flanges on to the mani and stainless screamer, and VHT Ceramic coated the mani and downpipe, baked that then fitted my heatwrap

The Hybrid VF35

20140304_203635_zps48e427c1.jpg

20140303_201717_zps7a6e81b1.jpg

20140303_201725_zps753cf896.jpg

20140303_201730_zpsdb5aff9e.jpg

20140303_201801_zps3fb9137c.jpg

20140303_201741_zpsb397b9ba.jpg

Wastegate and the state of my bedroom floor lol

20140303_201710_zps4eaa3ea0.jpg

20140303_201703_zps13acb676.jpg

Mani and DP All coated and wrapped up

20140304_203614_zps33dbc28f.jpg

20140304_214714_zps2ea9ee3c.jpg

Hopefully have it fitted saturday ASAP And give it a service, good clean and check over etc

Thanks for looking!

TT

Wow that looks ace!! So what sort of boost we going to be seeing at say 4k?

Thanks as per usual mate! And im unsure to be honest. On an impreza from personal expierence it started spooling 300Rpm Later but felt like it came in faster (Better bearing design) And never stopped pulling to the redline. Alot of people say they spool just as well and its just they come in harder but i dont know

Dont know many people running them on starlets so cant compare there either!

Could be swings and roundabouts as the billet wheel is a hell of a lot lighter so should speed spool, however it is 4mm Bigger so unsure in which way this will affect it! Its also gasket matched on the exhaust side and polished, so its a larger A/R But has better flow/ie less turbulence which once again is supposed to help spool!

Only one way to find out lol

Sick!

Thanks man :)

Looking real good there Toff!

Cheers matt appreciated

Glad you're happy with the turbo mate, keep me posted on what power it makes ;) you know where I am if you need any more turbo related work :)

No problem Liam its spot on i cant wait to fit it:) And you will be first port of call definetely!

Awesome chris

Cheers daz

Might come have a visit tonight if your not away and working on it mate!

Hahaha surprisingly i wasnt!

Anyway to cut to the chase this is a pretty bad update, i have good and bad news but the bad news isnt great :/

Desert first i picked up a Cusco 6 Point dash dodger cage, for a steal of £350 Delivered also from Geo :)

20140308_212025_zps95ebd1bd.jpg

And down to the bad news, have been driving it like a grandad all week to see what sort of MPG I can get and also the fact its been wet. Came home from work the other night and thought i heard a tapping sound very slightly, but thought nothing of it as my manifold has a full circle crack round the collector so just thought it was this.

Fired it up the day after, listened for a few miles with no music and could hear nothing out of the ordinary, went to pull away from a junction and there was the tapping.... Spun it round after a 100metres or so, knocked it off and got it towed home. Managed to grab an hour or so today to have a look. Checked all minor things first then thought fuck it sump off, To find no problems whatsoever with the bearings, rods etc. I then drained the remainder of the oil from the sump, and found this....

20140309_152330_zps249faa96.jpg

The oil was still clean, no real metal filings it has literally just failed and cracked away, Engine still turns over and the tops off the pistons look A1 Through the spark plug holes.

Completely baffled on how this has happened, considering it was ran in consistently, had over 120Litres of oil through it, never been low on oil, never ran rich/lean or detonated either AFAIK.

All i can think is there has been a problem with the weisco piston.... Who knows

The engine builders are getting a call tommorow, see what they can do if they can help me out at all....

:(

TT

Oh shit bud, never seen rings been spat off before, what you planning on doing next, have you figured out witch piston is the culprit?

Neither have i mate. Especially after it being a forged engine of such low mileage. Im starting to think theres been a problem with the custom spec weisco pistons, But i will see what the machine shop say im wiping my hands of the build. They said they will sort me out if i ever need anything so we will see...

Also to add it had only covered around 3000Miles if that

Aw man that sucks :(

:( I know dude its crazy

Gutted to see that dude :( hope you get it sorted.

More gutted to the fact i cant fit my turbo kit! FFS

And to add more mystery to this by the way There is nothing in the exhaust/inlet ports like oil or bits of piston to show failure, engine still runs (Or did till i pulled bits off) It still has good compression, and there isnt a load of metal filings in the oil. Its like literally the bottom half off the piston has dropped off and laid itself in the sump.

All bearings and rods are mint also....

What the fuck has happened to my weisco piston????