pretty good with the little paint touch ups mate, never really gave exterior touch ups a go but wouldnt mind a pop at it, looks good mate

It's about confidence really, if you treat it like its a really important part you'll most likely cock it up, treat it like any other part, and spend good time preparing it, you should get a half decent finish.

Ive been looking for roof bars to fit a starlet for ages! How hard was it to modify them to fit?

Oh and i saw you in hitchin the other day, was in my sisters scoob though

Oh hai! I see, I do keep an eye out for you're 'let as I go through Regis every few weeks, but I never see it!

Modifying the bars was easy, officially you need a set with a SRA (short roof adaptor) that clamps the rear one under the door but extends rearward,but as my budget didn't allow for this I took a punt of some under door clamping ones. I had the cut the rear clamps down about 15-20mm otherwise they would have stuck out, you'll also need to push the rear window rubber back to allow the clamp to seat properly, I also cut the bars down as they were about a good 10 inches too long.

It's tough to explain, but when I remove them next I'll take a pic for you mate.

Glanza Kit with roof racks... sorry, in my opinion that ruins the look of the car. Maybe would be better with NA Kit. Glanza Kit (especially spoiler) always looks like "go fast" but roofracks look like "slow". And that combination... I'd never do it.

Please either remove roof rack or Glanza Kit. At least the spoiler :(

Thanks for the imput, but I think you misunderstand the reasoning for the bars, if I didn't need to carry my bike on the roof, I wouldn't have bought roof bars. It's as simple as that, and as this is my daily and was bought with the Glanza body conversion already fitted I have no interest in changing it back purely because it makes no difference to me, if I'm totally honest, I wish this was a stock sr (the car is an sr underneath) but the amount of time and effort that would be required to convert it back to sr spec wouldn't outweigh the benefits.

And I will most likely remove the bars when not using them when I have fitted my roof carriers.

Edited by scutch0
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this is full of so much win!

really liking the roof bars bud! good call!

Phil.

Cheers buddy :)

"I hate cars with roof racks. That looks rubbish, doesn't suit a glanza etc etc"

He goes out for one trip cycling with my car with the rack on and next thing I know he's gone euro ha.

I hope a trend hasn't been started...

Haha funnyman! Well even though I mocked it I must admit, it was so much easier getting the bike on the roof than dropping the rear seat and trying to squeeze it into the car!

Looks good mate, get it clean though! :)

Mate, you should see it now. It is a dirty slut now. Pure filth.

I'm gonna have to wipe the numberplate sooner or later :S

I read you have a reason and it's legitimate. But your bars seemed to be put on to stay forever. Don't get me wring, I've seen starlets with roofracks and liked em, I just don't like the combination with the Glanza kit ;)

by the way I know that bike problems. Only one bike fitted completely in my starlet with me nearly stuck behind the steering wheel. Was an old blue motorized Hercules, nearly exactly the same blue as my cars. Was a nightmare of a drive because I had no space. Would at that time have loved to have a rack or an ... (well, what is the thing called you can pull with your car to put stuff in? Sorry, I really don't know)

I read you have a reason and it's legitimate. But your bars seemed to be put on to stay forever. Don't get me wring, I've seen starlets with roofracks and liked em, I just don't like the combination with the Glanza kit ;)

by the way I know that bike problems. Only one bike fitted completely in my starlet with me nearly stuck behind the steering wheel. Was an old blue motorized Hercules, nearly exactly the same blue as my cars. Was a nightmare of a drive because I had no space. Would at that time have loved to have a rack or an ... (well, what is the thing called you can pull with your car to put stuff in? Sorry, I really don't know)

Yeah fair enough, the only reason it's still on the car is because I haven't got the bike carriers yet, it took a fair amount of time to get it set up on the car, so as soon as I have the carriers on the bars it will hold them in position, so I can remove them as one, it will also make refitting them a lot easier.

Haha, probably because i'm in welwyn garden city 6 days a week!

Look forward to seeing about the roof rack, my rear seats are ruined, even got holes in em from chucking my bmx in there!

Ah I see that'd be why! Bad times mate, yeah it really is a pain in the arse throwing the nike in the back!

A woman? :)

Lol
  • 4 months later...

Decided to give tank a bath today, thought I'd celebrate this by taking a few pics tonight with a pals yaris, here are the results.

splash1.jpg

splash3.jpg

splash2.jpg

yoshi1-1.jpg

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

Other than that, nothing to report. Fitted some 96 spec rear lenses, think they look much tidier than my 98's.

I had my first part failure last month too, the washer pump, the first part failure on any of my ep's after over 10 years of owning them. Got a new one off eBay, blew the lines out, fitted it, job done. Wouldn't mind doing something else to him, but I'm spending too much time getting the supra ready for summer, so tank will have to wait.

Rich.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking good and have you got a build thread for your old starley ??

Yeah I'm sure it's still on here somewhere, I'll have a look and post it on here if I can find it.

Alright dude good to see you still loving the starlets. Glad you kept the supra though. Was mint last time i saw ya.

Yeah still in a starlet, it's just annoying having something that looks the part but is shit slow lol, yeah still got the supr, it's still eating my bank account lol it's been one thing after another lately lol

is that peachyboi's yaris? seen it on YCUK, set of JBW's on it now?? loved the little green touches on that.

yours looks mint, love the wheel colour. looking lovely

That is indeed peach's yoshi, yeah, it's such a mint little car.

thanks bud, wheels will be changing soon, as the tires have had it on these now, so new ones required.

Wow seams weird to see the car. Seams so long since I built it. Looks good tho buddy. Glad to see its being looked after

It's nice to finally talk to someone who remembers it, yeah it's still going strong, it's more of a shopping cart now though as I just use it as a commuter now, very rarely do I give it some stick now lol
  • 3 weeks later...

Got some new wheels for tank, as the tires on the impuls were shot, also gave him a bath...

DSCF2022.jpg

DSCF2023.jpg

DSCF2026.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

DSCF2028.jpg

DSCF2030.jpg

DSCF2031.jpg

DSCF2034.jpg

DSCF2035.jpg

DSCF2036.jpg

They're 15's this time, and offset is lower and gives it a much better stance I think.