• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hummm hta :)

Can't go wrong can ya! That's why I asked you the other day mate if you had these so called "WRC bearings" on your core, been told this has some sort of uprated race bearings but will find out when it goes to Owens :)

Should turn to be an interesting build, look forward to seeing the updates!

Cheers mate, hopefully have plenty of updates soon once I get my exams over and done with in a little over a weeks time!

Great turbo

Ta buddy, you know it's not what I originally had planned but I got it for such a steal, and the fact I haven't been able to sell my mani + downpipe setup I thought I might as well use it. Then this little puppy popped up and I just had to have it :D

Ta buddy, you know it's not what I originally had planned but I got it for such a steal, and the fact I haven't been able to sell my mani + downpipe setup I thought I might as well use it. Then this little puppy popped up and I just had to have it :D

Yea i no its not the 1 you planned to run but it will do its job lol makes sence put that money in the engine now :)

They didn't say any thing about up rated bearing when I had mine. They did say do I want the updated metal bearing cage and heat shield as stock are plastic. They said my turbo had been working fine without it so I didn't bother with the extra 150 plus vat. Wanted to keep it just over the 1k mark lol

Ah that might be what it is then, just checked and this is what was listed from the lad I got it from "Metal caged uprated race bearings". Well will find out exactly what its got when I go to Owens next week :)

Well I took the turbo down to Owens yesterday (Tuesday) at 3pm, and got it back today at 3pm with everything I had asked for! Cracking service and I can't fault them at all.

I had the Tial .64 AR V-band turbine housing put on with Owens own 360 degree thrust clamps as they told me the Tial ones are prone to coming loose. They also rotated the turbo for me and I grabbed a Tial MVS 38mm wastegate whilst I was there also.

Anyway some pics :)

TurbowithTial_zps980d65e7.jpg

TialVband_zps3357a302.jpg

TialVbandinlet_zpsf11ad97b.jpg

Here's the 360 degree thrust clamp set

360degthrustclamp_zps27e19375.jpg

TialMVS_zps3b6d1be6.jpg

TialMVStop_zps6d2550ce.jpg

TialMVSside_zps8ce8ae0d.jpg

Tials_zpsc0a96596.jpg

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/BoobZ18/media/Toyota%20Starlet%205E%20Build/TialTogether_zpsb1f649eb.jpg.html'>TialTogether_zpsb1f649eb.jpg

Edited by AdamB

Sweet mate, A very similar looking turbo to the one I have :)

The tial housing will hopefully stay rust free :D

You got a 28 mate? Thought you went 30, must have another read of your build thread lol.

Am sure it will stay rust free, mine won't be driven in shit weather anyway, and will try wrap it as much as I can.

Lovely bit of kit mate :)

Cheers Todd, appreciate it :)

Bloody hell that's nice!!!

Ta fella, still got plenty more goodies up my sleeve yet :p

Well I took the turbo down to Owens yesterday (Tuesday) at 3pm, and got it back today at 3pm with everything I had asked for! Cracking service and I can't fault them at all.I had the Tial .64 AR V-band turbine housing put on with Owens own 360 degree thrust clamps as they told me the Tial ones are prone to coming loose. They also rotated the turbo for me and I grabbed a Tial MVS 38mm wastegate whilst I was there also. Anyway some pics :)TurbowithTial_zps980d65e7.jpgTialVband_zps3357a302.jpgTialVbandinlet_zpsf11ad97b.jpg Here's the 360 degree thrust clamp set 360degthrustclamp_zps27e19375.jpgTialMVS_zps3b6d1be6.jpgTialMVStop_zps6d2550ce.jpgTialMVSside_zps8ce8ae0d.jpgTials_zpsc0a96596.jpgTialTogether_zpsb1f649eb.jpg

Well I took the turbo down to Owens yesterday (Tuesday) at 3pm, and got it back today at 3pm with everything I had asked for! Cracking service and I can't fault them at all.

I had the Tial .64 AR V-band turbine housing put on with Owens own 360 degree thrust clamps as they told me the Tial ones are prone to coming loose. They also rotated the turbo for me and I grabbed a Tial MVS 38mm wastegate whilst I was there also.

Anyway some pics :)

TurbowithTial_zps980d65e7.jpg

TialVband_zps3357a302.jpg

TialVbandinlet_zpsf11ad97b.jpg

Here's the 360 degree thrust clamp set

360degthrustclamp_zps27e19375.jpg

TialMVS_zps3b6d1be6.jpg

TialMVStop_zps6d2550ce.jpg

TialMVSside_zps8ce8ae0d.jpg

Tials_zpsc0a96596.jpg

TialTogether_zpsb1f649eb.jpg

Sweet mate, A very similar looking turbo to the one I have :)

The tial housing will hopefully stay rust free :D

Very similar to mine aswell, we have a few interesting builds between us here but who will make the most bhp ;)

I'm not after huge HP, if I was I would have just slapped a GT35 or T4 on there lol. My aim is to kinda build the ultimate street machine mainly based around circuit, but still have an edge at drag as well. I'll be happy if I make 350hp, not looking to run this turbo at its max, but looking to run it in its max efficiency zone so I don't put stress on the engine during circuit racing. Although I may have a map setup for like 2+ bar for when the odd Lambo, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston owner fancies a play :p

Looks much better now with that new housing glad the build is moving on now , When you building up the engine buddy ?

I'll build the engine when I'm happy with the shell really mate. No point building an engine thats just gonna sit on a stand for 6 months. I finished uni for the summer now, got 2 exams next week so as soon as they are finished I'll be cracking on the with shell, hopefully be all ready by September/October time to accept the engine 8)

looks good! a few quids worth i bet!!

Well over 2 grands worth sat there mate!

Looking good Adam, good luck with the seam welding, some work involved to do it properly ;)

Cheers mate, gonna be a bit of a pain in the shitter to do, but might as well do it now and do it properly whilst the car is stripped to bare bones lol.

Edited by AdamB

Their never easy to build mate, always test your patients.

Erm I might come to japfest 2, maybe even japshow/japshow finale as well. What are you going to this year pal?

• 5 weeks later...

Well not updated this for a while but I have been working on the car behind the scenes. Been cracking on with preparing the shell for seam welding, where the rear has been painted with a paint brush and is fairly uneven all the way around its taken a bit of time to get it done. But it's nearly there now and I can't move onto the front.

I can't believe how weak, flimsey and the gap between the panels actually is, its hard to see with paint and the seam sealer in the way, but after removing most of the sealant I was amazed at how little effort you have to put in to move the panels.

This is how it started out

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/BoobZ18/media/Toyota%20Starlet%205E%20Build/Start_zps559d8630.jpg.html'>Start_zps559d8630.jpg

Excuse the dust in the rest of the pics, I need to get the hoover in there but it started raining :(

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/BoobZ18/media/Toyota%20Starlet%205E%20Build/Total_zpscb696cc1.jpg.html'>Total_zpscb696cc1.jpg

Suspension strut seam with all paint and sealant removed

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/BoobZ18/media/Toyota%20Starlet%205E%20Build/Strutseam2_zps2c7edad3.jpg.html'>Strutseam2_zps2c7edad3.jpg

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/BoobZ18/media/Toyota%20Starlet%205E%20Build/Strutseam_zps257d64ed.jpg.html'>Strutseam_zps257d64ed.jpg

Boot seam where the floor pan meets the boot, you can still see some of the sealant on the left side

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/BoobZ18/media/Toyota%20Starlet%205E%20Build/Bootfloorseam_zps796c2190.jpg.html'>Bootfloorseam_zps796c2190.jpg

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/BoobZ18/media/Toyota%20Starlet%205E%20Build/Bootfloorseam2_zps394fe5c6.jpg.html'>Bootfloorseam2_zps394fe5c6.jpg

This is under the rear light, you can see all the sealant I've picked out

http://s164.photobucket.com/user/BoobZ18/media/Toyota%20Starlet%205E%20Build/Rearlightseam_zps620cad3a.jpg.html'>Rearlightseam_zps620cad3a.jpg

Thats all the pics I have as I didn't think anyone would just want to see a car with less paint lol.

It has been pretty time consuming doing it, but after seeing what I've seen its deffo gonna be worth it.

The tools I used were a drill, wire drill bits, punch, chisel, hammer, stanley knife.

Used the drill with the wire bits to remove the paint and remove as much of the sealant around the seams as possible, then using the stanley knife cut a long the seam sealant and use the chisel/punch to pull it up.

Hoping to have the rear completely finished tomorrow, I've only got the offside rear seat well to finish off, which won't take 5 mins as the paint is very thin there. Then it will just be a case of going round and pulling out the rest of the sealant.

I'll be removing the dash and getting that flocked a long with the A pillar plastics, not sure if I should go all black or have the dial surround and stereo surround in white to match the car? Think it might look a bit tacky. When the dash is out I'll be looking to remove any wires that aren't needed just to clean it up, any wires that will potentially be on show will be covered in braided sleeving and shrink heated.