Ridiculous Starlet Prices - Why?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of those are faster than a 5k starlet. (Or a 5k version of one of those)

Or what you could build for 5k.

I would beg to differ but im not going to argue when the market isnt there to prove it.

All of those can easily put down power to about 500bhp. A starlet struggles over 200.

Lets not leave the blinkers on mate I love these cars too but they are all faster possibly excluding the scooby and/or evo and far more car for your money.

Its a sad fact of life people will splash loads of cash on parts but won't pay them for cars, I would have only got a maximum of 5 or 6k for my old V, but stripped I sold it for 12.5k - it was sad to do it (it wasn't really) but its the only way to make your money back

I would beg to differ but im not going to argue when the market isnt there to prove it.

All of those can easily put down power to about 500bhp. A starlet struggles over 200.

Lets not leave the blinkers on mate I love these cars too but they are all faster possibly excluding the scooby and/or evo and far more car for your money.

For 5k

Youll get a standard (320bhp) E36 M3. that weighs 1400kg.

Giving a power to weight of 228bhp per tonne. 5.5 seconds to 60.

Evo wise, youll get yourself up to a 5, maybe, running around 350-390bhp

yeah its gonna be fast, but evos are awful, for maintence. engine oil/gearbox oil/transfer box/AYC fluid every 4 thousand miles. maintence is gonna rack up on that.

Scoobys are gay, why would you even buy one.

Skylines, your gonna get yourself a R33 GTST. Skylines also are mental prices for repairs, parts are expensive and hard to get hold of. PLus your only gonna get a 350bhp one for 5grand.

a starlet for 5k is gonna be 280bhp or more. probably weighing in at 800kg. I know which id rather have

still can get an s13 for £2000 or less and have £3000 to spend on it, making it easily quick enough for most cars on the road and track days

i know what id rather have for 5k

RWD so so so much more fun than FWD

it all depends what you want from your car really.

people will spend to mod because it makes it there own. I expect very very few people will buy and leave it as they bought it, which is why your mods are are worth more off the car than on. I know I'd rather spend as little money as poss on the car, then ill have more money to make it my car.

For 5k

yeah its gonna be fast, but evos are awful, for maintence. engine oil/gearbox oil/transfer box/AYC fluid every 4 thousand miles. maintence is gonna rack up on that.

Skylines, your gonna get yourself a R33 GTST. Skylines also are mental prices for repairs, parts are expensive and hard to get hold of. PLus your only gonna get a 350bhp one for 5grand.

a starlet for 5k is gonna be 280bhp or more. probably weighing in at 800kg. I know which id rather have

Skyline parts are cheaper than starlet parts they are also much more widely available as there are loads being broken in the uk. My flatmate has an R33 and its ridiculous the prices he gets things for compared to what I pay.

He can get coilovers for £200 2nd hand ofcourse. Ofcourse some parts will be more expensive as they are bigger due to there being 6 cylinders but on the whole he pays far less than me.

He paid £2500 for his which is 380 bhp and pisses all over my starlet. Fair enough mine isnt high spec but its miles apart.

Regardless for 5k they are all far faster, have alot more equipment are bigger comfier. The question was power for purchase price not running costs therefore they are all faster. Like I said I have a starlet because I love starlets but I dont let the rose tinted specs effect my judgement.

280bhp is all good and well but in a 800kg its not going to put it down untill about 3rd gear.

Where as they will.

Edited by StuDoc 72

For 5k

5k wouldnt get you 280brake

Say 2k on the car itself

If you want that kind of power youll be going forged 2-2.5k

Brakes £500?

You wont be on standard suspension with that power i doubt so coilovers £300-£800 depending wether you buy new

Management - say emb as its cheap £200 plus mapping is another £250

And then youve got manifold, decat, exhaust, fmic, wastegate if you go down external route which i imagine you would, and turbo itself

Starts adding up fast when you actually think about what you spend

Skyline parts are cheaper than starlet parts they are also much more widely available as there are loads being broken in the uk. My flatmate has an R33 and its ridiculous the prices he gets things for compared to what I pay.

He can get coilovers for £200 2nd hand ofcourse. Ofcourse some parts will be more expensive as they are bigger due to there being 6 cylinders.

He paid £2500 for his which is 380 bhp and pisses all over my starlet. Fair enough mine isnt high spec but its miles apart.

Regardless for 5k they are all far faster, have alot more equipment are bigger comfier. The question was power for purchase price not running costs therefore they are all faster. Like I said I have a starlet because I love starlets but I dnt let the rose tinted specs effect my judgement.

280bhp is all good and well but in a 800kg its not going to put it down untill about 3rd gear.

Where as they will.

See i disagree.

I have a mate with a R33 GTST and his running costs have been mad. Clutches, Coilpacks etc all very expensive

Dont get me wrong you get more car, but i dont agree that itll be miles faster, if faster at all.

Say 2k on the car itself

Brakes £500?

You wont be on standard suspension with that power i doubt so coilovers £300-£800 depending wether you buy new

And then youve got manifold, decat, exhaust, fmic, wastegate if you go down external route which i imagine you would, and turbo itself

A car for 2k will have coils already, brakes you dont worry about those.

2k for the car

1.8k for a forge

600 on a second hand TD04 kit

550 for emange supplied, fitted and mapped

Exactly what his is also. The only price hes come across that has been massive have been as you say the coilpacks cost an arm and a leg and they are a neccessity unfortunately as nissan used 1s that cant even cope with the standard power for some reason.But ive seen him on his forum buyin allsorts for his at ridiculously cheap prices. Ofcourse things will vary with each car and what they are things that are cylinder realted are more expensive as are wheels and brakes due to sheer size but things like interior he bought a full pretty much minted 1 for £40.

We will just have to agree to disagree lol. Either way im keeping my starlet.

WTFFFFFFF^^^^^^ I give up my pc in work is shit lol.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Name a few cars that are a 'SHIT LOAD' faster for 5k... Im struggling to think of many without modifying them heavily..

Yeah for 5k your going to get a well spec'd fairly high powered starlet tbf, but you can buy quite a few boosted other cars for that including modified ones!

Evo's and scoobs vxr's etc theres quite a few, you could prob get an old m3 or mk1 rs focus? Not necessary quicker but more maximum potential and better equipped with more room

Infact its almost getting to the point you could buy a ep3 N whack a supercharger on it for that amount of money and k20's can handle plenty of abuse reliably :/

Its a case of someone wanting one at the end of the day, someone who had one as a first car and never had there fix of a boosted ep might come back and buy one!

Maybe saying shit load faster was wrong, the bit in bold highlights my point better.

Would you spend 5k on a tiny hatchback car, that will rattle to bits or buy a newer, better specced new car or a cheaper older car with more tuning potential.

The M3 example above, all the toys 300+ hp, fantastic chassis and brakes....

Or 200sx for 2k, spend about £1500 on some 2nd hand parts and you have 350hp...

Its not always about the power to weight... factors like practicality and equipment drive many people and for 5k there is alot out there.

Edited by Rubix_Cube

U can buy alot of car for 5k all depends on personal preference and what the owner is looking for a I personally love evo's but i would want a well spec'd one as they can cost a fortune to mod so therefore 5 k wouldn't get me what I was looking for and forget the fun factor with a quick starlet the looks on people faces are priceless

I paid £4.5k for my starlet nearly 3 years ago, was a fresh import with 45k and almost standard.

Now its probably worth £2.5k at most. Still 2k isnt alot over 3 years and totally worth it for the enjoyment i still get from my car every day.

Hopefully they'll appreciate but i doubt it tbh! People want newer cars now, and with finance deals etc getting more affordable its making older cars cheaper imo.

If you wanted a newer more equiped car, why would you even be looking at a starlet? A starlet is just a tin can, track/drag toy that will beat most. A £5k starlet would kill an Evo/Skyline/Scooby of similar price at track or strip.

The fact is FWD is more predictable than RWD or 4WD, therefore makes it faster. Even in the paws of your dog.

If you wanted a newer more equiped car, why would you even be looking at a starlet? A starlet is just a tin can, track/drag toy that will beat most. A £5k starlet would kill an Evo/Skyline/Scooby of similar price at track or strip.

The fact is FWD is more predictable than RWD or 4WD, therefore makes it faster. Even in the paws of your dog.

That is the most innaccurate statement ive ever heard.

A FWD is the worst way to apply power.

RWD for acceleration 4WD for handling.

If FWD is faster then why are all supercars 4WD or RWD.

FWD is more predicatble and easier to manage then RWD that is the only reason for its popularity. It cant handle more than 200 without super fancy diffs!!!

Edited by StuDoc 72

In terms of giving a driver confidence I think you'll find FWD is faster. Unless your experienced enough or a racing driver and know how to handle a RWD setup, the average Joe going on a track day will prefer FWD.

Putting power down is all dependent on chassis setup.

Edited by AdamB

Average joe will prefer 4wd as its least likely to let go of all 3.

Only thing that makes FWD better is that its cheaper and lighter, it has no other benefits over the other 2.

4wd is safer and better handling. RWD is faster and better handling if you are experienced.

Edited by StuDoc 72

Say 2k on the car itself

Brakes £500?

You've overestimated a lot of those costs.

My GT cost me less than £1k on the road, and I know several other people who have picked them up for the same price.

GT4 brakes are good enough for 300bhp IMO, mine stop on a dime and cost £250. Also forging needn't cost that much.

You can easily get 280bhp for £5k

Skyline, Supra, M3, Subaru, Evo......Is that enough??

I agree with Trisk on this one.

Your not going to get much of a skyline for 5k, and at that they are big buses!

Supra is again a complete bus, and you'll need to buy one for about 8k to be quicker.

M3, again heavy things, but are quick when modified. But if you go down to your local circuit, 106 gti's are doing these on track!

Subaru, horrible car. And slow... until modified heavily.

Evo, nice car, but running costs are hugeeee.

I don't consider many cars to be an upgrade from a well specced starlet. There have been lots of people that have sold up their starlet and gone for a 200sx or something, and regretted selling up!

Although i can understand people preferring rwd for the fun factor but you'll soon get bored of buying new tyres :p

Edited by smobey_sutton2

A 5k well put together starlet would not break a sweat keeping up with any of the above on a dry track day imho!

As for the op's question it pisses me off aswell because as has been said its due to the chav's that put chrome 17" wheels, ridiculous bodykits and drive like wee fannys that the value of starlets especially glanza's are dropping! BUT i know for a fact that once mine is ready to sell she will be a lovely example so im going to stick to what ever price i decide to sell for and once the ruined examples fade out they will defiantly rise in value again aslong as enthusiast clubs like this keep going.

My scoob has had double that spent on it running 380/390 and i have to say its not much more fun or satisfying to drive than my glanza running 260hp :unknw:

Oh but i suppose the glanza prob had 5.5-6.5k spent all in.

Edited by td04 glanza