Ridiculous Starlet Prices - Why?

Just so shocked lately at the prices of EP82's and EP91's especially Glanza's. Why have they gone so cheap? Only like a few years ago they were fetching between 4 and 5k now you can pick a bargain under a grand?

These cars should be appreciating not depreciating? Any opinions as to why?

Cheers guys.

Edited by Ep'd
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know where your coming from but like ep3 civics type r's were fetching just over 2k now they are back over 3k for just a 51 plate. Also Mazda 323 gtr's have not devalued etc. for such a small car that runs economically and is cheap on tax starlets should be fetching much more!

Edited by Ep'd

^^ This

There are alot of these in the country now. Probably more than there ever has been as they are all being shipped out of japan and when something becomes more easy available prices go down.

But as people break them and write them off those who care for theirs will see the values rise again.

As you said they are cheap to fuel and cheap to tax its only a matter of time before they become in high demand because of the good mileage and tax compared to other small hot hatches which are quite poor even now.

Yes it is quite heartbreaking as I paid 3k for mine not including modifications and factory options that I have brought and I would be lucky to even get 1500 for my Glanza :(

Yes I agree. I used to have a renault 5 turbo that I sold 2 years ago I got 1400 for it and now it was on pistonheads a week ago it sold for 3500... Hopefully that will happen with the gt and Glanzas :)

As a daily runner I cannot think of such a more reliable and spot on car to run

ALSO just to mention due to curiosity what prices are Glanzas fetching in Ireland hey ???

Edited by Ep'd

why would they be appreciating?

they are old, little boy racer cars now. lets not hide from the fact.

they are as you say, economical, but also cheap and fast. every teenager wants one to replace his crusty sock for thrills

thats why the price is coming down

If you look through the really old for sale threads on TGTT you'll see awesome specd starlets up for like 8 grand and people actually buying them. I bet 95% of members on here wouldn't dream of spending that on a starlet.

There was a Glanza up for sale last year on here, pretty big spec gt35 etc. And nobody bought it so it got broken, fair enough. Simon on here sold his in parts, 100% correct decision, could you put a price on that ? Then wait around for nobody to buy it.

Its a buyers market right now but in 5 or so years Glanzas and GTs will be rarer than ever.

If you want a cheap one have a look on donedeal, they are mostly less than 1500.

£8k for a well spec'd starlet is a fair price imo, after spending nearly £8k on my own car and its not even anywhere near built yet, £8k for a full spec machine is a bargain. The problem is that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, and in this day and age people expect things for nothing. It's only the true enthusiasts that understand and realise what these cars are worth and they are the only people likely to spend such amounts. Someone whos just looking to buy a GT/Glanza when they have seen other shit bags for sale for 1500 they are going to expect the same.

The car market is on its arse. I paid 5750 for my Glanza in 2004. I couldnt sell it 2 years later for 4k....

Glanzas and GT's will go down lower, then creep back up....

The problem with big high spec cars going for 5K plus is you are looking for a very specific buyer and you can get a SHIT LOAD more car for 5k. By that I mean faster, bigger and the same fun factor.

The car market is on its arse. I paid 5750 for my Glanza in 2004. I couldnt sell it 2 years later for 4k....

Glanzas and GT's will go down lower, then creep back up....

The problem with big high spec cars going for 5K plus is you are looking for a very specific buyer and you can get a SHIT LOAD more car for 5k. By that I mean faster, bigger and the same fun factor.

Name a few cars that are a 'SHIT LOAD' faster for 5k... Im struggling to think of many without modifying them heavily..

Yeah for 5k your going to get a well spec'd fairly high powered starlet tbf, but you can buy quite a few boosted other cars for that including modified ones!

Evo's and scoobs vxr's etc theres quite a few, you could prob get an old m3 or mk1 rs focus? Not necessary quicker but more maximum potential and better equipped with more room

Infact its almost getting to the point you could buy a ep3 N whack a supercharger on it for that amount of money and k20's can handle plenty of abuse reliably :/

Its a case of someone wanting one at the end of the day, someone who had one as a first car and never had there fix of a boosted ep might come back and buy one!