Chinese eBay Forged Conrods

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/for-Toyota-Starlet-GT-Turbo-4EFTE-1-3L-Connecting-Rod-4340-H-Beam-Con-Rod-Conrod-/141012734352?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20d5039190

Anyone else seen these? Seem Cheap...

Keep an eye on ebay.... cus there listing other forged parts at 99p auctions...

Not sure what there going to be like tho...

Do seem cheap, but everyone had to start somewhere right?

The thing that gets me though is that they haven't stated if they have gone through any hardening processes or have been shot peened, which for me is essential.

they used to be much cheaper, 180posted.

same origin as maxspeedingrods, they can still be bought for 190ish posted if you just find maxspeedingrods and keep asking.

they do 5e ones too.

ive used them and seen them used to good effect.

get them balanced and checked by an engineer and your sorted.

Plenty of bad stories too id guess, what with anyone who sells anything disliking an undercutter, and anyone who overpays begrudging a bargain hunter you can see where they stories come from.

this thread for example started in a reasonable fashion, but in wadded the jokers and what not (and rightly so, im one of you) but have you all had a chinese rod come through a block? maybe one? maybe none>?

arrow/eagle/scat/PEC all look to similar to me, and beware of the naysayers who claim something was definitely manufactured in america/germany/japan or britian, many times companies can claim that because they simply check/test the products they buy in within developed countries borders.

You think that HKS/pauter/other big manufactuers dont subcontract there work out? and then quadriple the price before checking it, stamping it and sending it out?

dont get me wrong, the quality control isnt so high with these ebay rods,

(though it clearly exists just look at the price they are charging you could pay a chinaman to check a hundred rods everytime he sells one set)

but that is primarily what you pay for with big brands, quality assurance.

nothing wrong with those appreciate good quality control, but to the gamblers out there, give them a try i dare you :)

Phil

Edited by Philm

Its quite a risk to run something like this imo, if they made other stuff that is less of a crucial component that people had been using for some time then i'd consider it.

But if a rod breaks. Worst case senario is new head, block, valves, crank, piston and rod.... Basically a new engine.

Personally i would rather run a tried and tested item on a part like this.

Well unless i had money to throw around the place that is.

Supposed to be very good strong rods these. If you do a bit of research into maxspeeding rods i bet you wont find one thread with a failure in it! All the maltese seem to use them also and even some of the jamaican threads about them. Only problem i saw which wasnt even a problem was maching on the caps for a rover 1.8t engine, a trader bought a load to test and said everything was perfect, balanced etc but he wanted the cap design changing, sent it back and got them all changed and now sells them with his own name on

If you message maxspeeding and ask about the rover rods they give you the details of the changes and who put the idea across from the uk.

Look at the feedback also not one bad one about the rods!

Im certainly buying some, they also stamp anything you want on them if you buy in bulk.... Cough PEC Eagle Spool etc!

Arp bolts as standard and a couple of quid to upgrade to L19s also

Its quite a risk to run something like this imo, if they made other stuff that is less of a crucial component that people had been using for some time then i'd consider it.

But if a rod breaks. Worst case senario is new head, block, valves, crank, piston and rod.... Basically a new engine.

Personally i would rather run a tried and tested item on a part like this.

Well unless i had money to throw around the place that is.

I've ran them, no issues.

260hp+ for quite some time, 1bar td04.

Phil