Skimmys 285bhp Forged TD04 glanza !!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's shitty news mate :(. Who built the engine out of curiosity? Wasn't a company or anything? Tolerances or torque settings probably wrong or something foreign internally for it to break something that early... I don't think I'd ever buy a car with a newly built engine unless it came with a warranty from a company. Could have been built by some pikey in a caravan using his teeth to tighten everything up.

I'd just slap a standard engine in there for now. If you're running under 250bhp it'll probably be fine for years anyway, especially if you're a steady driver.

I do like to boot it occasionally, and it was a boy luke that built it seemingly ?

I don't know if I should go with the stage 1 forged package from tuning developments and that means if I decide to up the power I don't need to strip the engine again etc etc

Life goes on I suppose eh ! Wee all make mistakes

Yea but then I have the issue of trusting it again man, I would rather just get my one built then I know what it's been through etc

Yea but then I have the issue of trusting it again man, I would rather just get my one built then I know what it's been through etc

How much power do you want to run? I've been running 240+ on a standard engine mapped by Racetech for ages now and I honestly kick its head in every day. If by the time I get to my destination and my boost controller doesn't say that my best rpm was 7500 and best boost was at least 1.2 then I'd assume it wasn't working properly lol.

Get a standard engine that hasn't been "rebuilt" by my nan's mate, get it mapped by someone with a good knowledge (personally I recommend either racetech from experience or a guy called Lee that I've heard does nothing but precision work with attention to every detail) and you won't have a problem.

You can get second hand engines for less than £500 and sometimes as cheap as £300 (like I did) and also just to mention that a forged engine does NOT mean that it won't have problems. I know of a handful of people on here that have had a forged engine build and it pop less than 10k miles down the line.

Weigh up what you want. If it's a daily driver, is more than 250bhp really going to be any use? How much money do you have to spend? Can you go without the car for months because engine builds seem to take that long sometimes?

My advice is stick a stock engine in, get it mapped reliably to 220-250, drive it, enjoy it, maintain it and no stress.

^^^^ wish I had done that now instead of going forged I spent about 4k+ biggest waste of money ever!!

my white 219bhp was good enough with a healthy good engine and its still going minus the turbo LOL!

need to remember all the little bits and bobs if needed like dizzy cap and rotor arm,fuel filter just all these LITTLE bits add up....

Yea I know what you mean, but If I'm doing anything I will either be buying a forged engine... That has got proof of Milage, built etc etc

Or getting my engine rebuilt !

I'm not buying a standard replacement unit as I can't take the gamble of it going again!

You'll always be taking a gamble mate.

The point of buying an untouched engine is that it hasn't been in bits and the fact it has done say 70k miles means that it is reliable. Probably a little worn yeah, but it can obviously take some shit lol.

If you get an engine built, it's not been tested at all, it's never been ran, never had its head kicked in or been boosted from cold or overheated a little. You have no idea what will happen. Sure it will have a warranty but if you have any problems chances are it will be in a garage for 3 months again.

Also, you could get through 4-6 engines before you've spent anywhere near what you will on a forged build lol.... Just think it over and remember that a well maintained engine with right supporting mods will handle 240bhp everyday. You don't need to spend 2k+ on an engine.

(providing you're happy with 250 or less that is?)

Edited by aaddzz123

Car looks mint mate! Love the red don't see many around tbf and them yellow wheels looks mint with the red, wouldn't have guessed it would look that nice without seeing it done :p

Haha thanks mate ! Means a lot. I done that to my old starlet aswel. It's my calling card lol

To run a forged engine you have to service them alot warm them up and cool them down properly to so none of this turn the key and drive as normall have to keep them under 3k untill fully warm and done a few miles, i service mine every 1500 miles, granted its no even done that since run in but serviced before it went away for winter and will be a major service before it comes back out

Do you really beed a forged engine, for

Daily driving i would say a standard lump would be more cost effective not to mention runnin it in oil, filters etc or paying the tuner to do it on the dyno is around 500 quid so theres 2800 before its even mapped

Going forged is expensive so be prepared if you do, not to mention forged parts are more expensive if they break yes warrenty is included but youll be without your car for a couple months having the work done and no doubt youll leave with loads more parts than you went in for

Its not just the price of the engine its the maintanence costs aswell, services are more frequent, whats the point in going

Forged if your going to stay on ct9 turbo ? Thats 400 quid wasted already you know what im saying ? Me personally i would buy a second hand engine for 500 quid you can blow nearly five up before it costs you the price of a forged one, and i doubt your going to pop five, buy one of someone who is breaking on here and who is a trusted seller among the lads

This is just my opinion though, it is your car after all