(UPDATE 02/04/14)Rear Brakes&Cleandown Chris's 98 Spec Glanza V

Finally managed to get this all typed up after a good while at it searching for pictures and trying to remember in as much detil as I can my journey with my starlet, good and bad.
I suppose I better to back to where it all started...
About 3 and a half years ago I had been driving around about a year maybe just over a year infact, driving around in a little corsa c sri when i got speaking to a few people
withing the "modifying" scene when i got chatting to a lad called logan who had a little Starlet GT Turbo. At the time i didnt really know what it was i had just heard
it was pretty quick. Soon after we ended up becoming good mates and i had been pestering him for a while to take me a run in this Gt Turbo of his, after a while we
managed to get some spare time for a quick blast in it. It was around february time it was a nice night the sort of night where the sun sits very low just as its getting
dark when i heard a deep drone coming from a short distance away soon after i heard this little thing turn into my street it was infact the Starlet making all the noise
with the help of a Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust and a small whoosh noise coming from under the bonnet. I left the house and climbed into what seemed like a shoe box
with a steering wheel the rear of the car was stripped and this was the first thing i noticed after the noise of the exhaust. We sat outside mine and had a quick chat
about where we would go for a run and if anyone else was out that we knew. We decided to head into glasgow for a little run around the town and then head home.
After buckeling up we pulled off slowly i had no idea what to expect was it as quick as everyone made out or was it just a bit faster than everyone elses car,
all these things were going through my head. I remember the sound of all the stones and grit hitting the underside of the car as we crept out my street and at the time
Stero Love was on the radio just enough to hear what song it was over the sound of the car. Logan knew i had never really had a boost hit as such and kept the car
crawling in 2nd gear all the way down to the slip road to go on to the mate motorway heading for glasgow. After being caught at the front of the lights with no cars behind us
the lights turned to green and again we pulled of slowly as there is a small roundabout before you hit the main slip road, after taking the round about nice and slow in
2nd he lined the car up at about 20mph on the slip road planted the foot...I was hooked.
y7jx.jpg
So the seach began for a starlet of my own and for no particular reason i decided it was to be a Glanza. Endless seaching through the usual pistonheads, autotrader and starlet
forums proved to be dissapointing as nothing really caught my eye at the time and then about a week later i saw one that looked clean enough for my taste. The car was located
in Ayrshire, Scotland which isnt to far from Glasgow. Got on the phone to the guy who had it and had a good chat with him and turned out he imported the car himself as he did
it for a bit of money on the side aswell as his 9-5 job. I was happy to know i would be the first UK owner as the car had literally just came off the boat with no plates or UK
documents yet. I went to view the car with my mate logan who i mentioned before and we had a good look over the car and came to a good deal to secure the car. I had to wait
around 2 weeks for the car to be registered and get my V5 and the rest through to go and get my plates made up and tax and insure the car etc. So after about three weeks later
the documents finally came through and i recieved a phone call that it was ready to be picked up but as i hadnt had time to get my plates made up and put on the car it was brought
to my house on trade plates and sat in my driveway untill I got the plates made and on the car as there was a delay with the proof of registration document so it sat in my drive teasing
me.
The spec of the car when i bought the car was standard pretty much as i wanted to take it from standard to how it is today and further when i can ! Its nowhere near finished
1998 Glanza V
White
Manual
60k Miles
Apexi Filter
Kakimoto exhaust
RSR Shocks and springs
14" Toms new action wheels wraped in bridgestone rubber
HKS turbo timer
and all the usual electric windows, mirrors, central locking.
starlet111.jpg

glanza222.jpg

glanza333.jpg
I drove her about for a while enjoying it untill the bug bit and i went for a new set of wheels. I opted for gt3's over grids which in the end turned out to cost me more as you
will find out later on, the wheels came rapped in Falken ze912's which for the money and the power i was running found them to be a really good tyre :) here is how she sat.
epqe.jpg
u5si.JPG
Soon after i wanted a change of tune and decided to sell the kakimoto system and replace it with a Buddyclub spec 2 which i have never looked back on untill now and again you will
find out why :)
kagx.jpg
Again i was pretty happy with the setup drove about for a good few months like this. During this time i was in the forces and undertook an 8 month deployment down to the falklands
which as you can imagine gave me alot of time to think about the car and where i really wanted to go with it and write a shortlist of parts out about a million times and when i came
home i contacted sacha at wepr to price up his new tdo4 hybrid kit and after a few delays i had mine ready to be fitted.
jqve.jpg
y6wp.jpg
The car was handed over to Iain at CRD as he was local to me and knew his stuff when it came to starlets we arranged for the kit to be fitted so i took the hours drive up
had a bit of a chat with him and his dad who is equally as nice a guy and then headed home knowing the V was in good hands. One thing i liked about Iain was the constant
updates and pictures of his quick progress with the car and also good prices !
A Short time later I went back to pick her up with the new kit fiited and a few little extras i had put on myself like rocker cover and catch can felt like forever as it was
my first experience of tuning a car. So i got her back better than ever enjoying a bit more boost than usual she was running .7 bar wastegate spring pressure as i didnt want to
go any higher without a map which in the end prooved to be disasterous.
sf8y.jpg
rp55.png
f582.JPG
I didnt like the look of the plastic type tubes running into the catch can so a look in the for sale section for a rocker with braided lines was in order. Came across one being sold
by a boy by the name of Martin Brown so we got chatting and managed to come to a deal so a trip to fife was on the cards to collect it. Met martin and
his brother that night both great lads and me and martin have became good mates always getting out doing something car related when we can even though we are a fair bit away
from each other, he has also helped alot with parts with the rest of my build as you will read about :)
i0ia.jpg
vflj.jpg
The rocker was a little rough so had it painted in a candy purple as the lad who paints my rockers had no candy red left to go with the wastegate
0dp7.jpg
9ipg.jpg
I had read that a few people had refurbed their headlights with sand paper so i read the tutorial and thought i would give it a go, but me being an idiot messed it up and ended
up having to get new headlights but that said im on the mindset try it yourself once ! Managed to get a set of 2/3 year old lights of Lee G through in kilmarnock so another short
trip was made to pick them up and the next day they where fitted
rrbi.jpg
I pottered around like this for the time being not getting the chance to drive the car much as i was always away with the forces so trying to get everything done on time was a
nightmare so I decided to leave it alone untill i was based nearer home.
September 2012 I was sent on another deployment this time to protect cargo ships off the coast of Somalia, just before i had left the starlet had been playing up, after a few
tests i had decided it was the headgasket and went ahead and gave it a go from a tutorial over on TGGT managed to do it but it didnt cure anything :(
I decided it was time to take the plunge and had been speaking with Mike at Tuning Developments via email whilst i was away and it was sorted that the car would be picked up
when possible to go in for a stage 2 forged engine, run in and a remap with supporting mods for fueling etc, whilst i was away i had started collecting a few parts. Picked up a nice
Emanage Ultimate with a Greddy 3 Bar map sensor from martin and had my Mum post it down to Mike.
Upon stripping the car it was worse than we though the crank had been knocking and contaminated the oil resulting in this oil passing through the turbo and knackering a pretty new
WEPR turbo with a few thousand miles on it so after a few emails with Mike we came to a deal to go for his new billet 300 tdo4.
I decided i wanted a few more things whilst the car was down there bearing in mind it only went in for a forged lump, run in and a map, it left with a few more bits than planned
Mike helped with sorting me out a few deals on some parts the car left Tuning developments with the following:
TD Stage 2 Forged Engine
Run In
TD 225LPH Uprated Fuel Pump
TD Fpr Kit
Denso 430 CC Injectors
Emu Fitted and mapped
TD Tripple core rad and slimline fan
Td low temp thermostat
Exhaust fully heat wrapped
Bc Coilovers
Ksport big brake kit with super blue fluid
Spec 6 clutch and flywheel combo
New battery
Fast Road GEO setup
Rota Grids 15x7
Advan AD08 tyres
2 new cv joints
Polybushed Gearbox mount
Braided water lines
Greddy Profec B Spec II Boost Controller
TD ABS removal kit
H&R hubcentril wheel spacers 20mm

k376.jpg
fcc9.jpg
0l7g.JPG
2r19.jpg
5t2h.jpg
6url.jpg
pcz.JPG67mi.png
jpbp.jpg
The car made 280.3 bhp, mike had mentioned that the exhaust being a 2.25 system and the IC pipes being 2" choked the power up a bit but
Like i mentioned we didnt plan on it going this far but it did and im happy that it did, i mentioned before that the wheels cost me in the long run, this is as you have probably guessed
the Ksports wouldnt fit hence the Rota Grids and Hubcentric Spacer Combo.
Here is how she sits atm:
Winter was approaching so i put the car in for a fresh underseal and i was told it was silly clean underneath which is always nice to hear, even the painters next door were in having
a good look at it so as you can imagine i was happy with that
I have been enjoying the car up untill now, but she is now off the road for winter as there will be alot of work being done, im hoping to get the following done
before the car comes back out after winter
Td fuel rail with braided lines
Racetech Race Spec inlet manifold that i got at a steal and its never been fitted to a car
Defi Guages to be fitted
Fit Wind Deflectors
3" exhaust system
New Intercooler
AFR Setup to be fitted
Repaint interior
Roll Cage
Zisco Front Strut
Custom Catch/Washer/Overflow Bottle
Brides
Engine out and gearbox repainted
Engine bay welded up, Painted and big wire tuck
Full Respray
Bearing Cartrige Upgrated to run 1.8
Correct supporting mods
Fresh Map

Current Spec List:

Engine:

TD Stage 2 Forged Engine
Wossner 74.5mm Low Compression Piston Kit with Rings and Pins
Scat 4EFTE Forged Conrod Kit with ARP Rod Bolts
Athena 1.2mm Uprated Metal Headgasket
ARP 2000 Uprated Headbolt Kit inc New Washers
Genuine Toyota Full Gasket Kit
Genuine Toyota Oil Pump Kit
OEM Water Pump Kit
OEM Cambelt Kit inc Idler & Tensioner
ACL Main Bearing Kit
ACL Big End Bearing Kit
ACL Thrust Washer Kit
Fully Machined and Polished 4EFTE Bottom End
Fully Stripped, Cleaned and Rebuilt 4EFTE Cylinder Head, Rebuilt To Standard Spec
Block, Head and Rocker Cover Cleaned and Painted

Tuning Developments Billet 300 TDO4 Hybrid Turbo
Wepr SS Equal Length Ramhorn Manifold
Tial MVS V-Band 38mm External Wastegate
Wepr Braced Downpipe
Wastegate Dump/Screamer Pipe
Wepr Race Spec Front Mount Intercooler
BuddyClub Spec II Exhaust System Fully Heat Wrapped
Magnecore 8mm HT Leads
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

TMDevelopements Race Spec Cam Cover With Braided Lines
Oil Catch Tank
TD Tripple Core Half Size Radiator
Polybushed Gearbox Mount
Magnetic Sump Plug
Aircon Removed

Fueling:

Denso 430cc Injectors
Tuning Developments 225 LPH Uprated Fuel Pump
Tuning Developments Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator

Engine Management:

Greddy 3bar Map Sensor
Running 1.4 Bar On Greddy Emanage Ultimate With Launch Control Feature Enabled

Brakes:

KSport Big Brake Kit
KSport 6pot Calipers
KSport Grooved and Vented 286mm Disks
KSport Braided Brake Lines
EBC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads
Super Blue Raceing Brake Fluid
ABS Removal Kit

Suspension:

Bc Raceing BR Series Coilovers
Fast Road Geometry Setup
Oem Front Strut Brace

Wheels & Tyres:

Rota Grid's 15x7 Et40 In Bronze
Advan AD08 Semi Slick Tyres
H&R 25mm Hubcentric Spacers All Round

Exterior:

Oem Headlights Replaced
Genuine Toyota Wind Deflectors
Rear Windows Tinted
Fully Undersealed

Interior:

Rear Stripped And Painted

Transmition:

Oem Non Lsd Gearbox
Spec 6 Paddle Clutch & Lightened Flywheel Combo

Electronics:

Greddy Profec B Spec 2 Boost Controller
HKS Turbo Timer
Apexi 52mm Boost Guage
Brand New Battery Fitted

Security:

Proguard Alarm System

Ive shortened the story alot because im lazy and ill never get round to doing this if i dont so ill keep you guys posted with the progress over the next few months :) Ill start to keep it up to date now as ive done loads of stuff that hasnt been documented with
pictures like fully painting the interior of the car etc etc
Chris.

xyp0.jpg

Summer 2014...Ill be back !

UPDATE 6/11/13

Have had these under my bed for a while, when i get the chance they will be going on, most likely after paint if I can manage to squeeze paint in among my other things i want to do.

Genuine Toyota Wind Deflectors & Clips :)

3wr1.jpg
nsn0.jpg

They are actually in really good nik, minted infact just dusty from being under my bed :p

Also had these delivered yesterday from Ryan, Defi Racer guages, Boost, Oil Temp & Oil Pressure
Just need a Water Temp one and an AFR Setup and that will be it for guages.

kuv1.jpg
wojy.jpg

More parts in the post, Inlet should be here soon and waiting to pay for my TD fuel rail :)

Update 9/11/13

Due to the car coming off the road this weekend i had her booked in at Automek to let Andrew take care of the final oil & filter change
before the car came of the road yesterday, I would highly recommend Andrew and the team at Automek they take care of both my cars and I absolutely cannot fault them.

Oil was changed with Millers 5w-40 fully synth and OEM filter.

On the ramp.

b7a1.jpg

After getting her home that day i decided to see what i had let myself in for with regards to taking out the sound deadning and smoothing the edges of the seams/welds i used a drill with a wire attachment on it to take away the rubber/silicone type stuff around the welds to reveal two sort of overlapping thin bits of metal and im pretty sure that is why that stuff is there to take the bad look away from it, but when its painted it will be smooth between the seams, still unsure if i should use a filler or not as it may crack and ruin all the paint when its finished so i might just leave it, either that or use a silicone stuff to smooth it with, but put it on properly and not just slapped on. The plan is to get all this and the sound deadning stuff off and sand her all down 2 coats of etching primer on the bare metal 2 coats of normal primer 2 coats of super white and 2 coats of laquer. This is purely for looks and not performance orientated atol. I will update it when its prepped and ready for the first coat of etching primer.

wp7.JPG
0w2k.jpg
sx9y.jpg

If you look closely you can see the two thin bits of metal overlapping, if anyone knows a filler/cat alloy type stuff to use that wont crack, im all ears :p

Update 11/11/13

Came home from work today to find this in my room...

5awf.jpg

I knew what was in it but upon opening i was greeted with this :) ...

sbe.JPG
Big thanks to Mikey B for the quick delivery and good price on an item worth well more than what he let it go for !

Thats all for now but hopefully ill have some more updates in the form of the progress with the rear and maybe my TD fuel rail.

UPDATE 23/2/14

Decided it was time to invest in a larger intercooler as mike @ TD had advised me that my pipes were quite thin on my old setup so i went all out and bought a whole new JPerformance kit to help freshen the front up also.

nqvc.jpg

32hl.jpg

Custom hot side pipe will be made soon also.

One of my back calipers seized on so just went ahead and ordered new rear discs/hubs pads, wheel bearings and some new calipers, ill have these painted along with my carriers and fitted then its onto the underside clean down, regrease coilovers, wheels removed and cleaned, and then continue with stripping the interior, ill keep you all posted when the brakes etc arrive :)

Update 02/04/14

As i mentioned before one of my rear calipers jammed on due to sitting in the garage over winter with the handbrake cable on so i got a set of good condition calipers from Browner (spot on trader) and ordered new standard discs/pads and wheel bearings :)

1.jpg

New rear brakes were painted then fitted and the underside was given a clean down.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Ksports were given a good clean aswell and topped up with Fk1000P :)

6.jpg

Due to the caliper jamming on some of the metal flakes had became hot and bonded to the wheel, these were then removed with Iron X and a Claybar, all four wheels were deep cleaned and machine polished :)

DSC_0084.jpg

The car was then washed and returned to the garage.

DSC_0062.jpg

The car hasnt moved since it was put away apart from one oil change midway through winter to keep it fresh and give the car a run, however it has developed a small problem and mike@TD has been on hand to help out and will be fixing the car in the coming weeks :)

Once this problem is resolved it will be on with my new inlet and Td's fuel rail/Braided line and a fresh map, defis will also be fitted aswell :) Not much has really happened and i havent done what i would have liked to over winter, however me and a mate have our own unit which we have spent most of our time painting/kitting out and can now work on the cars constantly in there irrelevant of what the weather is like.

Plan is to get the few bits i mentioned done, enjoy the car this summer, and then build a monster after summer with a big turbo upgrade, paint/aero, seats and weld in cage :) cheers for looking, comments welcome :)

Stay Tuned...

Chris

Edited by Chris_GlanzaV98

About time u got a build thread up chris lol.

I rememer when u first got this an u and logan came down to mines when i was fitting some parts to scotts gt! I still have a video ill need to dig out my old fone.

I know mate haha i remember that day aswell was an actuator if my memory serves me :)

Nice!! Looks mint mate!

Cheers mate probs see you around summer time if we get a meet done lol

Looks awesome mate fair play to you :)

Thanks chris :)

Quality write up Chris and thanks for the share

John

Thanks john keep on the look out for more updates v.soon :)

Nice documentation and great build :)

Thanks rob :

)

seen this when I was at TD bro

looks mint! bet it sounds savage! no short cuts at all

hope all is well!

Thanks ash, she sounds good mate love it :) such a shame yours is away :( loved that car, im of the mindset do it once do it right mate, sometimes doesnt always work that way

Thanks for the comments so far lads !