Jim's second Starlet; ITB'd Blue Sol 8L5.

Are these running?

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOyYHSXUlTo

That they are! Lots of genius ideas from toffa and a few others to solve problems with recycled parts on a shoe string budget..

Currently driveable, bit hesitant and brake servo looses vaccuum quite quickly...which is erm...fun.. all these problems should be solved when my proper sized vacuum manifold arrives tomorrow and I get it plumbed in!

Seems you can also hear the exhaust burbling and popping from all the fuel been dumped in that video! Impressed with how the stock ECU is handling it so far if we can get it running smooth!

Edited by jimlols
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, What ITB's are they?

Get it on a dyno if you get it running good :D

Triumph TR600's I think, bought them off here! But aye thats the intention, get it running as well as possible for now which hopefully shouldn't take much more doing, then get a FPR and get it dyno'd / lightly tuned maybe, but for now is just about getting it running nice and smoothly. I'll get a video of them propely opened up and revving at somepoint, the throttlebodies plus the backbox make it far to loud to be doing in the middle of my street!... Might need to have to get a custom manifold made up at this rate to! :p

And a picture after pissing about today:

OnqBhMb.jpg

Edited by jimlols

Dat ass!! Looks good buddy!

Needs some spacers ideally to bring those wheels out with arches, looks sweet anyway mate! :)

Keep the updates coming :p

Ideally it does! but sadly with the wheels been 14's im struggling to find tyres in a acceptable price range that are gonna take the punishment I'm gonna give them, so migh thave to change to 15's anyway!

Update on the ITBs; Running much better today, got a bigger vaccuum mani in so I now have full use of my brakes again and switched the wires on the tps so it wasn't wired in reverse..whoops! Sometimes its a bit hesitant when first coming onto the throttle at low revs but no biggy atm, slowly getting there! Plus the noise, oh the noise is so good!

Edited by jimlols

Tidy work man and sounds sweet. If u ever take them off again Id suggest grinding down that lip inside the runners to more of a knife edge so the air flows better and use some sealer on the manifolds and silicone jointers. Wheres your map sensor connected to if u dont mind me askin

glad to see another ITB'd N/A :) keep it up. looks and sounds good

Awesome!

So much love for this...was already on the lookout for some bodies but this has cranked my want level up a notch! Good work :)

Cheers lads! And aye can be done quite cheap considering and its quite rewarding slowly getting it all running!

On which note, refreshed the dizzy cap, rotor arm etc and its running a million times better, the sound is ridiculous and it is starting to feel somewhat faster! Got some new plugs on the way and just ordered a AEM wideband, get that in and see whats going on and then sort it all out with the fpr I just ordered!

Tidy work man and sounds sweet. If u ever take them off again Id suggest grinding down that lip inside the runners to more of a knife edge so the air flows better and use some sealer on the manifolds and silicone jointers. Wheres your map sensor connected to if u dont mind me askin

I'll bare that in mind mate cheers! And the map sensor is just the standard map sensor and it goes straight to my vacuum manifold which can be seen zip tied(there's alot of zip ties currently...will get sorted eventually!) to the fuel rail here

CSlu46q.jpg?1

Edited by jimlols

So recently been to the exhaust place and got my wideband sensor fitted, then came home and fitted it.

XFwLKhw.jpg

Haven't really been posting many updates, because really there's not many updates worth posting atm! Alot of running problems were solved with a quick ignition overhaul but short time with the wideband has revealed that a bit of the low end hesitation was been caused by the car running far far far too lean and then slowly riching up back to 12/13's as the revs get higher, haven't pinpointed why this is happening yet but should hopefully be getting my FPR in tomorrow with a bit of help and then going from there, not sure if there's a vacuum leak or anything yet, time will see!

Edited by jimlols

Colour looks epic mate will look really nice if you do a glanza rep! I like what you have done with the itbs too I hope you get them running correctly :)

Cheers bud!

Unplug your lambda sensor and see what readings you get on your wideband then..

Just tried this helped a shit load, no where near as lean at all now, infact pretty useable in that respect, leans out a bit but NOTHING like it was before!... just obviously struggling with idle and cruising making it overfuel like a fuck whenever not on the throttle!

Gonna try sticking another one in tomorrow while sorting the FPR and things to see if it helps, cheers mate

How much did the wideband set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

I'll PM you in a sec :)

An adjustable FPR will only let you tune it so far, your best option would be a fuel controller, such as an Apexi.

Aye, being considering ECU options tbh due to maybe wanting more power and a turbo sometime (potentially far away depending how far this NA build goes) in the future so it may make it worth it to get one while running NA and get it all sorted anyway!

So yeah, in terms of another small update...as seen above; unplugging the lambda has caused the leaning out to stop considerably, I'd like to hope this would mean the lambda was just fucked and needs replacing, but I'd of thought the lambda output is supposed to be ignored when on the throttle so shall just have to see where it goes from here as I'll probably know the crack soonish! :D

Edited by jimlols

The ecu stops using the lambda reading in open loop. Open loop occurs at wot, at a certain map Voltage and when cold until it reaches a set temperature.

So you will only notice a difference at the points he mentioned where it's running too lean.

Basically your lambda cannot be reading right as the ecu isn't applying enough fuel trim to keep the afrs in check until open loop.

Seeing as you have an aem you can just tap the 0-1v emulation line into the lambda wore going into the ecu.. Your wideband will then act as your lambda

Could be the ecu. the younger model e series engines have more fuel saving features like lean burn mode etc. saw on another forum a guy having the same issues. larger injectors helped a bit but...I could be completely wrong because I thought the lean burn mode was on the distributorless models only but, who knows.

The ecu stops using the lambda reading in open loop. Open loop occurs at wot, at a certain map Voltage and when cold until it reaches a set temperature.

So you will only notice a difference at the points he mentioned where it's running too lean.

Basically your lambda cannot be reading right as the ecu isn't applying enough fuel trim to keep the afrs in check until open loop.

Seeing as you have an aem you can just tap the 0-1v emulation line into the lambda wore going into the ecu.. Your wideband will then act as your lambda

Ah, cheers for the info! I looked into wiring the AEM in but figured I'd just try it propely with a new lambda off a mate first, just letting it run rich atm, just costing a few pennies! Cheers for the help though!

Could be the ecu. the younger model e series engines have more fuel saving features like lean burn mode etc. saw on another forum a guy having the same issues. larger injectors helped a bit but...I could be completely wrong because I thought the lean burn mode was on the distributorless models only but, who knows.

I remember reading something like this somewhere, I'll look into more if the problem persists, cheers :)

So, for those of you whoa re interested, got a short video off a mate as I was leaving Malton Big breakfast today, imo you can't really hear the throttle bodies individually, but as a whole you can defo tell its not just a backbox on the car!

Exhaust system is completely standard other than the backbox though, still got a cat and the lot...needs a decat!

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6Bj-v0BOUs&feature=youtu.be

Only a short video but gets a decent idea of the general sound!

On another note; Also got some new wheels and a front bumper on the way! ;)

Edited by jimlols
  • 2 weeks later...

UPPDDDAATTESSSSSSSS.

Nothing on the mechanical side yet, still running on throttle bodies, really enjoying the sound but havent worked to set them up any better or done any supporting mods yet, deffo faster at the top end though!

But this update is a visual update!

New wheels

98 Spec front bumper + Lights + Indicators + Standard glanza bonnet!

Also turns out that as of next week it will be the 3 month marker since I decided to stick with this car and actually modify it, its gone along way!

fEnxsEU.pngnt8Cn1h.pngkT0Twf2.pngAnVQu1l.jpgjjZXV93.pngSfrJsAs.jpg

Edited by jimlols