what can you beat at 300 bhp??

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine currently runs 300bhp mapped for low boost and and thought corners my friends 260bhp 4wd golf r32 just starts to pull away from me but on the roads even on the smallest straight I can just pull straight back to him so its swings and round abouts.When mines finished it will run 1.2bar low boost for Normal driving but have a high boost overtake function fitted to the steering wheel so I can have the car sitting at a power level were I can go flat out round a corner and not torque steer into a tree but still have a massive amount of power at the push of a button for the straights.

Think you need the best of both worlds the ct9 is good to a point but people going on about how its all about the spool and will beat higher power set ups Id love to actually see them Drive the car because it baffles me how they can fall out the power band of a td04 so much it becomes a problem. If I wanted a nice daily running a decent set up I'd go for a td04 decent externaly gated td04 kit with a good ebc and map on it and it would spank most things on the road. But mines just a weekend car and the B roads we use have there fair share of straights so letting my mates gain 6 car lengths hammer it thought a few sets of tight corners for me to blast past them at the first straight works perfect for me.

Having owned 5 starlets its safe to say I have a more than a soft spot for them but I'll be the first to admit there handling is shit when compared to the Honda boys. Between Marc's teg and a 300bhp starlet on the track I think it would be purely down the the actually track and the drivers as apposed to the cars

300bhp glanza will beat most things, mine runs 300 on hybrid td04 and it's insane, and very usable! Fair enough first gear is wheelspin as you can expect in any fwd car! Get into second and once your tyres are warm your looking at pretty much gripping! I've beaten m3's an r6 Porsches quite a lot to be honest so I would say go for 300bhp mines a daily and I wouldn't want any less!

lol lets be honest we all love starlets but they handle like shit even with coilovers haha torquesteer is crazy especially with big turbos like td04 or above you certainly cant get on the power out of a

corner as quickly as you would like to. i suppose it depends what kind of track you are on. if theres a lot of long straights and high speed sections then a 300bhp starlets gonna be very impressive.

but for literally anything else involving technical courses and corners forget a b18 civic or crx, i would even bet on a stock ep3 being quicker to be honest (my 2p).

for street use i would honestly back my old car against any 300+ starlet. if you are hooking up in 2nd in a 300+ starlet i wna know what diff and tyres you got cus they must be friggin awesome lol

Edited by richglanzav

I turn my car down to about 280bhp for Knockhill, I took my standard ep3 (lowering springs fitted) round Knockhill last month and I would say my glanza was a lot quicker, however I used to have a dc2 (only mod was tein coilovers) with I wished I took round Knockhill, I would say it would of been faster round Knockhill than my glanza as the handling was unreal, it stuck to the road like glue.

for people that don't know Knockhill, its a tight track with only a couple of straights, you don't need a lot of power to go fast round it. I think it would depends on what track/road you use, a lot of long straights and the glanza is gona beat a lot of things.

Good semi slicks. LSD. Coilovers and 4 wheel alignment. Good driver.

Power? Well it's all below your right foot If you've too much you maybe need stage boost. If it's too laggy you've maybe too big a turbo.

But you don't need much lag to hit 300hp

Vf35 or td05 14b will do it.

Still I agree 300 or there abouts is enough for most.

Phil

Everything😜. No sure why people think the handling is bad I've had no problem 2 times totb handling champion against Hondas etc, down to driver to work with what you've got.

For sure feel track is all down to driver. Yh an amazing suspention set up is key but the driver is the main component. Too much fun in a glanza feeling its good to get the a td04 setup and run lower boost on standard internal and see if its quick enough then save up for internals and a diff

I don't understand why people are saying they handle bad? Sure I think my EG handled better with the same mods but the GTs have never been bad and I've out handled some decent cars. As mad mike said, he's been the totb fwd best handling car for two years running in his GT. If you have torque steer out of corners and wheel spin all the time then to be honest you just can't drive haha :p. Can't just nail the throttle all the time and expect it to be spot on.

I don't understand why people are saying they handle bad? Sure I think my EG handled better with the same mods but the GTs have never been bad and I've out handled some decent cars. As mad mike said, he's been the totb fwd best handling car for two years running in his GT. If you have torque steer out of corners and wheel spin all the time then to be honest you just can't drive haha :p. Can't just nail the throttle all the time and expect it to be spot on.

well said dude :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

lol lets be honest we all love starlets but they handle like shit even with coilovers haha torquesteer is crazy especially with big turbos like td04 or above you certainly cant get on the power out of a

corner as quickly as you would like to. i suppose it depends what kind of track you are on. if theres a lot of long straights and high speed sections then a 300bhp starlets gonna be very impressive.

but for literally anything else involving technical courses and corners forget a b18 civic or crx, i would even bet on a stock ep3 being quicker to be honest (my 2p).

for street use i would honestly back my old car against any 300+ starlet. if you are hooking up in 2nd in a 300+ starlet i wna know what diff and tyres you got cus they must be friggin awesome lol

i think these comments are al over , tight corners my starlet is faster if you dare hit vtec in a sharp corner the dc2 will understeer like a bitch !!!! wile on the otherhand in my starlet i am starting to boost mid corner coming out and no understeer and thats on every corner on the street

how much would you spend on a glanza with 300bhp though? the car + all mods + all work involved, you are talking a lot.

just picked up a rs clio 182 and it's really fun, french yes, it may just blow up, but for the price you can get them it is good fun. anything over 250bhp isn't worth it for road use, it would just be a talking point.

how much would you spend on a glanza with 300bhp though? the car + all mods + all work involved, you are talking a lot.

just picked up a rs clio 182 and it's really fun, french yes, it may just blow up, but for the price you can get them it is good fun. anything over 250bhp isn't worth it for road use, it would just be a talking point.

Pretty much why im happy with my car at 180hp. Its great fun sounds awesome and its fine on the road. Bit of fine tweaking and ill be loving it.

Never been a fan of chasing power which is why i never went the turbo route as its aalways one more mod to get that little bit more.

Pretty much why im happy with my car at 180hp. Its great fun sounds awesome and its fine on the road. Bit of fine tweaking and ill be loving it.

Never been a fan of chasing power which is why i never went the turbo route as its aalways one more mod to get that little bit more.

I can understand this point of view.

for me it does depend on what you can achieve on a reasonable budget.

i should have a 300(or near it) EP built for not a whole lot.

buy something already forged and go from there.

Phil

im running td04 with @ .8 bar atm, tein coilovers, oem lsd and some parada spec2s.

i cant fault the handling. im happy with it and sure ill b even happier when I've had allignment done.

i dont loose much traction unless its damp.

must admit i drove my mates integra and it did impress me alot. but at end off the day

its down to driver abillitty as said above.

I've got everything ready for mapping now just saving. im aiming for 240-250 ill b happy at that.

cus i was playing with new rs focus this weekend and impressed myself how well i kept up at .8bar.

so i think ill b alot happier at 1.2 bar and still b usable.

luke go td04 u wont b dissapointed mate...

I will upload a video later when I get back of me in my dc2 at keevil aerodrome 3 weeks ago sporting 196bhp chasing down an evo with 378bhp he couldn't get away at all

Lot's of blokes who own Evo's can't drive for toffee, infact, lot's of people who go to track days can't drive for toffee.

I'd put me driving my ~ 180hp Starlet against most other cars at track days, it will only be the well driven cars that come past.

Lot's of blokes who own Evo's can't drive for toffee, infact, lot's of people who go to track days can't drive for toffee.

I'd put me driving my ~ 180hp Starlet against most other cars at track days, it will only be the well driven cars that come past.

Have I missed something here mate. Isn't the idea of track days to learn how your car handles and reacts to different inputs in the safe confines of a track environment.

Maybe these people in bigger powered cars are learning how they handle rather than having a go on the street and causing an accident.

Alot is down to the driver but have you ever considered on a track that our Starlets are worth quarter of the price of some of the cars on track and we therfore push them so much harder.

To be honest it shouldn't matter wether you are in a Starlet , Scoob , Evo , mobility scooter whatever, you should be able to have fun, share your experiences and advice / hints / tips with other track users.

This is the reason I far prefer track days on my bike as the atmosphere is far less testosterone filled and more about improvement and getting advice off of people and giving it out to others.

I'm not taking anything away from peoples ability to drive Marc and Tim I know you guys enjoy track time and both are experienced track drivers. Having experienced track time in both 4wd and fwd people believe that just because it's an evo it should be able to smash everything on track ...... Wrong.

Edited by Krissyb

Completely agree, Keevil wasn't a nice place last month at all, there was a lot of aggression and some of the first timers in their much faster cars were trying way way to hard to stay in front so that they wernt overtaken but the cars with a lot less power..they all eventually get blue flagged but as is said it's all about fun/setup, getting to know your lines and learning new things..

See I've never understood that, just because your in a big powered car and there's a teg / clio / starlet behind you you have to try hard to stay in front. Let him pass follow him for a bit. Then I'd pop back into the pits and have a chat ask a few questions maybe even ask for a passenger lap to see your lines and braking zones etc etc.

No one wants to go home on the bus ;-).

Edited by Krissyb

Krissyb- that is what a car fanatic sounds like and how it should be help each other out, have a good time, share the fun together and not see who has the best lap or the best car but meet new people who share the same interest. Most mods on my car are advise from people who have done it already and helping a fellow starlet member out and means alot :)

ok im putting it out there lol - if anyone on here has a 300odd bhp starlet that doesent try to break loose in any way or go straight ahead when you try to boost it hard through a low speed corner please hare your setup lol

its a pointless comparison anyways, i was just saying i think a decent civic or something would be faster when theres more bends etc than a big power big lag starlet. on a lighter note i drove an mx5 round a very tight little circuit and it was ace lol

Edited by richglanzav

Same ere as timd iss right look at jf2 this year ive only done 4 track days in my life but was passing a lot of cars ..... i was runnin 1.2 bar about 270 on the td300 hybrid but it was fine....i also have some video footage of me chasing a dc5 with coilies etc n was a good few laps but it cant have been standard as he was as fast on the straights too