ahh man its a completely different car to drive now. I've probably covered more miles in the last 2 weeks in it than the previous 6 months nearly!

and whilst im at it, obligatory dyno video...

>http://youtu.be/KdfyIScp9c0

not that you can hear it but somewhere in the middle of that im shouting to a friend in the booth at the same time!

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

right so the cars currently out of MOT... again!

So whilst its off the road im going to be changing a few little bits.

First thing is im going to fit a Toyota MR-S speed variable electric powersteering pump.

This is the guide ill be using - http://www.mazdaspeedy.com/2011/11/toyota-mr-s-electric-power-steering.html

pretty straight forward so hopefully the install goes the same :)

next is find some lube for the sliders on the rear calipers that doesn't act like glue.

I've got 4 spare rear calipers and a rebuild kit for a pair but contrary to belief the sliders don't bind in the caliper, its the slider gripping in the rubber gaitor that locks them up. so im currently experimenting with a variety of oils and grease to see if any stay free after about 30 mins. thinking i need some sort of teflon grease or some shit but we will see.

might also whip the suspension off and give it a good clean up and regrease. check out the ball joints and track rods. replace any that seem worn.

more updates to follow

Cheers dude. It still makes me grin every time I squeeze the loud pedal :D

Carbon Bonnets going today unfortunately, Probably some other bits as well. All helps fund the starlet so can't be a bad thing!

Currently trying to find somewhere cheap to sandblast my speedlines so I can get them all painted up ready for show season :)

hopefully sorted the brake situation once and for all now. feel like a bit of a tit for not knowing/realizing but it turns out the rubbers react and degrade with normal greases (petroleum based products) google to the rescue, Silicone or synthetic grease was the answer!

so now i know whats going on it was straight forward! Turn bedroom in to a micro workshop again!

20140323_163826.jpg

Replace slider boots with new ones, as the old ones had absorbed the old grease and now would always bind. luckily i had a spare rebuild kit laying around. then its just a case of cleaning all the old grease out, applying some new silicone based stuff, winding the caliper back in, new pads and as there was a set up for sale new discs.

If any ones had the same issues get some of this stuff!

20140323_163851.jpg

in the mean time, had my front shocks off to clean, plastic arch liner out and replaced, cleaned, wire brushed and waxoyled areas that needed it. Will be doing the rears when im refiting the rear brakes when the discs and pads turn up. :)

Ah mate I must have miss read! I thought that figure was with the emb fitted. You should be talking mid 190s with that? I'm ready for them now mate so I'll send a pm :)

Naa not yet, will be soon hopefully, depends on how different the manual and auto ecu plugs are. maybe a bit of rewiring involved! power wise, id like to see 185-190hp, this is n/a tuning at the end of the day so gains are a lot smaller. Oh and the speedlines are getting a refurb for show season ;)

Love this motor! Top work mate :)

cheers dude :)

Lovely Car Morg!

What you expecting to see from EMB fitment and a map?

Will allow you to make the most of those cams for sure!

Loving it buddy!

Cheers socks.

I'd like to see a bit better mid to low range make it a bit more drivable. The cams were meant to give more mid range but in reality they did sod all in that region so I'd like to think the Emb could help there. Top end power is fine but obviously gains are always a bonus.

Going to give it a service and fresh plugs. Might get a few runs done without the filter on. Have seen a few Dynos done with and without and it's been 5+ whp difference.

Googled the ecu pin outs and would appear that the manual and auto ecu's use the same plugs so I can just plug it in and go which is a bonus and saves me having to get a different emb loom.

Rear pads and discs also went in the post today so will be with me in the next day or 2 :)

More updates to follow!

couple of packages arrived today. a pair of genuine toyota rear discs from Jamie_VF22. Cheers dude :)

second is a set of mintex oem spec rear pads.

20140325_200729.jpg

will hopefully get these fitted on the weekend along with the refreshed calipers which will also get a lick of paint. Also spoke to keri at WMS to get some info on grooving my front discs, which i can do at work so i might rip them off one evening so i can get them done to reduce the squeal that they have. Then ill get the system bled all around, might even try adjust the peddle to take up any slack to give a nice firm feel.

That should be the car ready for MOT i think.

only other thing will be to get my speedlines dropped off at the sandblasters, just got to decide what colour to do them but thats a little way off just yet.

peace!

Sorry dude I haven't read it your whole thread but are you running a TRD head gasket? Could look at shaving a touch off the head to raise the compression, especially if your going to run an aftermarket ecu?

Edited by Stu

Sorry dude I haven't read it your whole thread but are you running a TRD head gasket? Could look at shaving a touch off the head to raise the compression, especially if your going to run an aftermarket ecu?

No that's the only thing that I would have liked to have done that I haven't done. Tbh I'm a bit reluctant to open this engine up as it's low milage (26k miles) and i never feel engines go back together quite the same.

I'm happy with the performance now so once it's mapped I imagine I will focus more on getting it balanced out and handling how I want it.

Yeah that's something I considered. I've got enough room to fit the stock plenum in and that's about it. I reckon 100mm is the longest without compromising airflow but I doubt I'd get a filter in then. obviously I can try shorter which is what I was going to try as I believe shorter = better mid/low and longer = topend/peak power?

I'm going to have a couple of runs done without the filter when I get it mapped to see what restriction that has but just for curiosity as I wouldn't want to run the engine unfiltered normally.

Here's a couple of photos of the deflector for you.

Could obviously make this bigger with some wings folded up each end to help reduce stones bouncing up there

IMG_2731-resized4.jpgIMG_2763-resized.jpg