Looks great matey! The indicators look perfect now! :) wish i could have your interior ;) haha!

Cheers dude :) yeah im well happy with them too!

Haha i wish it had new bolsters and a good clean tbh :lol:

Right after fitting my cusco LSD box a few weeks ago i had it booked on track for an evening seasion, had the monday of from work to get the tracking/alignment done. About 3 hours before i was set to sign on a thought id go get it done. Started my car up to find it sounding like a tractor!! Im like noooo!!

Quick look underneath and my downpipe gaskets blowing, great so off comes the manifold an downpipe to find this...

2917704F-9E2D-4767-BD49-E90A20C608B6-145

That nice gasket i had made couldnt handle the heat and had broken into loads of bits and pieces, luckily my dad had some different stuff laying about which is rated to a higher temp. So off i go to make a new one up at work on my day off :(

Quick faf at work come home stick this together and stick it back on and its 3pm 30mins before sign on! No chance to get tracking done.... Fail!

8255702B-F3CF-43F4-848D-8ADC0C97A4CB-145

Never mind still chucked it around snetty for a few laps not knowing what its like haha

Few pics I've borrowed from the MSV website. (Not like you couldnt tell)

142ED265-698D-45AB-A2D6-B74AB244F7FA-145

33EDF7B0-161B-4B86-9108-855BBAACCF10-145

5916C0EA-FB84-4778-A619-1E57F87DED0D-145

Soo after that shake down the car behaved very well minus a sticking rear brake in the first 15mins it was fine afterwards :) the LSD was very impressive but i couldnt push the car as much as i'd have liked due to the alignment as the car felt a little unsettled.

So as i didnt get a chance to get it setup i booked it in at a place in attleborough called the little car clinic, full live alignment with a ex lotus technician with 25 years experience.

I left him to dial in what he thought would be a good fast road setup but the old figures are shocking haha

Oh and the rear camber an toe was out more here slightly as one of the mounts hadnt seated correctly at first but the rear right is slightly bent it seems :(

56672919-7157-404B-9493-04C181B84D3B-145

During setup

B5B9C7BA-4BCE-4429-BD2F-9B9F2AF3391A-145

B73D9444-6428-42F3-AC9D-8DCABF9F1907-145

D318F517-0955-4E92-8A5D-4E6669C449A0-145

I havent taken a picture of the printout as i forgot but its not running much camber and slightly negative toe. 0.04 a side toe and 0.54 camber but he's also set my tyre pressures to 27psi front and 23psi rear. Dampers set 4-6 from soft on front and 4-2 on the rears for road and 22 and 18 on track.

I know that seems quite tame and it does to me as well, but im going to see how it drives. Get it on track maybe later this month and test it. Its deffinately a big improvement over what it was before so only time will tell

As always comments welcome :)

Edited by morgey
  • Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flip that gasket was in some shape! Gald you got it sorted though. I need my alignment done badly too.

The car looks at home on the track dude!

Yeah i know! it had only covered something like 30 miles and that happened to it!

The new ones covered about 150 now and is still good. so hopefully it lasts to the 300 mile round trip to japfest 2 and back!

Also had a little shake down on the car this evening, car feels very different with the new setup. But grips very well once the tyres warm up, just want to get it back on track now :D

Post japfest 2 update.

Had a wicked day baking in the heat, briefly spoke to a few of you, drongo boi, john, matt, steve ishaq and a couple of others but didnt catch your names.

Next year some track times on the cards for sure!

Manifolds back off, new gasket started blowing on the way home! Even worse than the last one..

All that i could piece together. :/

3FE0B6ED-F31F-4182-8A02-7DEF48669D68-556

You can see that it had blown between the runners and out on one corner, the same corner as previously. Not sure why this is but cant worry about it. Only thing is the only place it could have gone is straight onto the mesh in the cat! :/

Now i had asked about different options and was pointed at a couple, but 1990timeismoney or luke for ease, offered to make me a new copper gasket for a good price out of some material he had left over, so i essentially chalk rubbed the downpipe onto a piece of paper and scanned it to him.

Couple of hours later i receive a nice text with this picture attached. :)

09CBE350-040F-4EF3-87E9-58E809D1CDC0-698

If its as good as it looks then hopefully this will solve this issue once and for all! Should be receiving it in the next few days so can test fit it.

In the meantime im going to take the manifold and downpipe/collector to work and run a clock over the mating surfaces to ensure they are flat, if not ill flick over them to make sure they are, this will minimise the chances of it happening again!

Will update once its fitted again.

And thanks for sorting me out in next to no time Luke :)

Looks good... Looking at the mating surfaces....

Could you not put a thin smearing of exhaust paste on there to seal it....

Would probably work well?

Do you mean with or without a gasket?

But I cant see it lasting tbh I've used this gasket paper about 6" further down on an egr bung and its been fine its just here its being a royal pain! Lol

The copper should be good upto 1000 degrees its 2.5mm thick.after uve fitted it give it a very light tap all around the edge this helps create a good seal too.

Not sure what you mean dude?

put it over the flange on the collector then tap around each runner?

So gasket has arived and layed it over the flange on the exhaust and its spot on. Happy days!

Checked the mating surfaces and they're fine, didnt think they'd be a problem but doesn't hurt to check :)

Was going to fit it but its so damn hot im going to leave it until an evening during the week instead im going to proceed to get drunk in the sun :lol:

Not bad considering it was done from a pencil rubbed bit of paper, scanned in and then made up :)

ED2B0E3C-4B83-48AD-954C-C7F5FF88755B-584

E64511E6-D8D2-4E61-A291-91B675EA3DD5-584

All credit to 1990timeismoney for that. Cheers :D

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good mate anytime

Cheers man :)

Not much of an update, gaskets holding up good is about the only news. Other than that got good shot from snetterton and a couple from a corolla club meet i infiltrated :)

CCC80A55-78F6-4B0F-8B23-AF2E48362563-860

75852525-EB40-4C0D-A60E-7C5B0B838DD4-851

7A44A48D-8D75-4825-B316-BD217BFAD7D1-851

Pics from the meet were taken by sammy off of here with a Gt. so thanks for them :)

Edited by morgey
  • 3 months later...

Poly filled starlet mount on the chassis, then the bracket onto the car was the C shaped bracket that bolts to the gearbox just with a plate welded to it to bring it back inline with the bolt holes then a couple of reinforcing braces for safety sake

I would post a picture but my shitty HTC won't open the paste menu so I can't!!

Cheers man, yeah it is a bit tight but because I've got less in the bay its actually easier to work on than my ae111 trueno.

Can do cambelts and gearbox changes with engine in the car and since there's no lower cradle bar like the trueno its actually easier!

This could be done neater if we had had a mixture of 16v and 20v mounts to hand when we first did the swap!

• 3 weeks later...

well no real update just trying to decide what direction to take this next. currently im breaking my trueno that i spun into a post so have gained some tomie poncams and a EMB so they will be getting fitted.

the cusco diff will be coming out and replaced with my Ae111 torsen diff at some point when i get the motivation along with fitting an electric Mr2 powersteering pump.

then ideally i'd be looking at getting it mapped to see the gains from the cams and other mods together.

im just trying to decide whether it needs stripping or not or whether i should just take the all the sound deadening out to save some weight and then dump all the interior back in.

basically im thinking aim for about 200hp per tonne, its about 187/tonne now which is 940kgs and 176hp.

200/tonne would mean loose 60kgs with no extra power, thats going to be pretty hard to do imo, i cant see the boot trim rear seats and sound deadening weighing anywhere near that. + the extra weight of the PS pump

or gain 12hp which probably isnt far off with the cams and mapping.

The weights in all the glass man I swear..... Doors and boot are stupid heavy. Can't see the plastics and everything else adding up to much. Ditch passenger seat, speed lines in exchange for some JDM lightness?

Excited to see where this goes............track car?