Just been through your whole tgread great choice of mods and it looks great mate! I bet its awesome on track!

Cheers man, still needs some fine tuning but i'm struggling to find the funds and time atm as my daily corolla is getting the same treatment :D

This car annoys me...because its everything my car isn't! Keep it up!

Haha well as long as it inspires you to keep it up I feel I'm doing my part :D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been a while since I've done anything to my car, Just been enjoying it mainly.

Had a small issue with a strut topmount nut being loose and causing a knocking which is now sorted.

Swapped out my whiteline 24mm farb for a polybushed oem one as it suits my driving style more and I've finally made a start on refurbing my speedlines.

This is after over an hour with a wire wheel on a drill and another hour with 160 and 400 grit paper!

20140804_194201.jpg

And I've barely got through the primer I put down let alone the stock silver paint and bases! -_-

Edited by morgey

Not sure what you have available in your area but bead or media blasting will take all of that off really quick without damaging the metal. Its usually reasonably cheap and will save you hours of work.

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: Found a pic of what mine came up like - were shitty as beforehand...

73%20-%20Wheels.JPG

Edited by Stu

if you take your speedlines to a powder coaters get them to acid strip them for you. i have had it done to a set of mine. never affected the speedline badge. and its much easier to smooth off with primer. will save you hours of rubbing the old shitty paint. plus you will have a better finish when it comes to painting them.

They will be fine to paint over jyst make sure no sharp edges from where there are layers of paint and finnish them off with p500 as 400 is a bit too corse :)

Yeah I was happy with this one other than clearing around the text, but theres another 4 to do lol

Ill probably finish with 600 as I can get that from work for free!

Still dont know what colour im doing them yet anyway, will just get them sanded/acid dipped and primered until I decide

• 2 weeks later...

Wheels are on hold as is much with this car atm. Some spacers are in the pipeline which will lead to some arch rolling no doubt. ideally id like that done for jae but with my corollas gearbox howling like a lost puppy, so im concentrating on the 20v swap in that as it is my daily.

However I did give it a full wash polish and wax ready for japfest.

20140809_151218.jpg

20140809_135522.jpg

FB_IMG_14075936215670612.jpg

Shiney shiney

Didnt bother with the wheels as they'll get filthy on route and will clean them when I get there.

• 5 weeks later...

Small update.

Finally got around to wiring up my electric mirrors.

Was a bit of a chore as i wanted them to plug in and out of the car like factory so ended up re-pinning the passengers door with the door plug from my trueno that had more than enough slots in the plug plus had all 5 wires needed for the mirror unlike the 3 that the uk spec mirrors would have used if Sr's had electric mirrors.

So also used the 5 wire plug from my trueno's broken mirror on that side. then used the old plugs from that on the drivers side because i had left over pins and sockets from the passengers door so i had a removeable plug on each side.

Then it was a case of stripping a set of 5 wires from an old Ep loom to run from passengers footwell to the switch on the drivers dash. Then a bit of head scratching to work out which wires joined together and went where and a bit of testing with temporary choco blocks before crimping them permanently (or until i get heat shrink and solder them)

Once it was all done i found out the passengers folding mech wasn't working so stripped the mirror down completely, all the little mini gears out to find nothing wrong with it. So applied some oil and worked it by hand then tried it again powered and it started to work so quick reassembly and hey presto working powerfolds on a Uk car without a glanza loom :)

Was a Chore but worth it!

• 4 weeks later...

Small update.

Been moaning about my handling being a bit vague and inconsistent so ordered a few bits from id-workz.

2x inner track rods

2x outer track rods

2x ball joints.

So these will get fitted at some point to hopefully sort the steering feel.

Next there was a pretty good condition recaro pop up on facebook so seemed logical to get it, not decided whether to make 2 good seats from 3 or use this and just have my current as a computer chair or something.

20141009_082015.jpg

I Will be hopefully picking up rbz doors when hes ready. Both my doors are dented so they will clean the exterior up nicely.

Then lastly when work calms down a bit im going to make so mounts for my electric powersteering pump to finally run fluid through my system and sort the last of my steering issues (unless my racks screwed amd i need a new one)

• 4 weeks later...

Interested to see the electric power steering!

Me too, unfortunately im very busy at work so wont have much time to make a nice CNC mount like i plan to.

Ah no way, Just realised that was my seat you bought off me!

Haha yep that was me, its still sitting in my room atm, along with everything else that needs fitting to both cars! :lol:

• 3 months later...

Right, car is officially off the road until further notice with the plan to get it back up to a standard im happy with. Tax is reclaimed insurance runs out 16th and mot is due this month so It made sense to me to get it done.

As it stands the known to do list is.

Handling wise.

Inner and outer trackrods

ball joints

poly front wishbone bushes

check and maybe replace steering rack.

Make powersteering pump brackets

wire in PS pump

plumb in PS pump

Alignment (will be staight after MOT)

Brakes

All 3 parts of the handbrake cables are being replaced

brake bias valve swapped to a turbo one to suit rear discs.

Bleed and adjust to get them working correctly.

Exterior.

swap both doors over or attempt dent removal on mine.

Maybe some spray work. Depends on funds and if i feel it would benifit. Front and rear bumpers and maybe bonnet.

Interior

swap drivers recaro.

clean water marks off of dashboard.

Engine.

gearbox and cambelt mounts need upgrading and have done for some time.

As it stands im debating whether to remake them completely to make them look more oem and whilst im at it upgrade the rubber to a firmer material.

Otherwise its a case of just replace the rubbers or even poly fill them And repaint the bay a bit whilst im at it.

Hopefully this will get my car back to a standard where i can drive it and not worry about it trying to kill me nor have strange noises coming from everywhere.

Hopefully this will get my car back to a standard where i can drive it and not worry about it trying to kill me nor have strange noises coming from everywhere.

this made me laugh, im guessing a lot of people know that feeling. Every little noise makes you worry that somethings just dropped off from somewhere!

great to see progress with this buddy.

Tbh the noises aren't that bad for the best part. its if you launch it, it gets wheel hop and then theres god awful noises from the engine bay which im putting down to the engine mounts.

The handling is just horrific though, i was going round a long left hander the other day at 70-80 ish and it felt like i was on ice, the car was just squirming about everywhere!

• 2 months later...

Finally getting around to working on this now. Its currently fully off the road no insurance tax or Mot so i can take my time to sort any and all issues i feel it has.

So far I've stripped all my steering arms and joints off and all bar one have been 100%. the drivers balljoint was a little soft but not sure if its enough to cause the vagueness.

im going to buy new wishbones as these ones are just rusty and need retiring.

Going to make myself some poly engine mounts for my remaining mounts. Just waiting on a price for some material.

also taking my front discs into work to groove them finally so hopefully stop the brakes from squeaking under light use.

Plenty of other stuff to do but will update when i get around to it which could be some time haha

Whats the nissan reference all about? :s

Ha if it werent the thing holding my wheel on i wouldnt worry but it is so theyre getting replaced and polybushes fitted to them before fitting

haha i have many friends with rusty Nissans. especially s chassis

Edited by NewbieLewby