• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bit of progress made this weekend, rebuilt my calipers over the last weekend. A long with a spare one which I sold to a local V owner.

Mine. All painted up.

20140331_202246.jpg

The sold one

Messenger_5855642729582459999_1396094019

Removed my rear discs and suspension, wire brushed and washed out my arches.

20140405_132134.jpg

20140405_132144.jpg

Let it all dry out and undersealed it all.

IMG-20140405-WA0005.jpg

Cleaned wire wheeled and repainted my dust shields why I was at it.

20140405_162601.jpg

Also cleaned and greased the rear shocks. Springs are showing signs of wear but the body's and rings are all solid still :).

20140405_132102.jpg

Fitted new bearings brakes suspension etc

20140405_185350.jpg

20140405_185400.jpg

All that's left to do is bleed the brakes and we're good to go.

Also ordered an electric power steering pump that I'm waiting for which should be here by the end of the week.

More updates to follow :)

So as you may have realized I've gone for an OEM look with this, that means as much as possible to be toyota parts, very few after market parts on show. There is obviously going to be some exceptions, i.e Front brakes, head unit, suspension etc. but the initial look of the car is to be a subtly modded SR.

The Speedlines are getting a refurb in due course so the track wheels will stay for now, however in the mean time I've taken another part from my Trueno thats breaking. 98 spec levin/trueno red stitched leather steering wheel :) (air bag not inserted properly in pic)

20140408_193431.jpg

its a little bit bigger than the OMP rep wheel thats in there but im used to is as my daily corrola also has the same wheel :)

20140408_193502.jpg

this is with the bottoms at the same level so is maybe 20mm bigger diameter. That means im hopefully also going to be able to, for the first time since owning the car, have a functioning air bag! haha

Just reading up on this dude, make sure you have filters on there.

Starting to think the blue smoke from mine was caused by dirt/debris getting in to the cylinders. Was reading up and even the smallest bit of dirt or dust can act like grinding paste in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to finishing everything off over the weekend.

Brakes all bled out after the second attempt with some more fluid. Motul Rpf600

Trueno steering wheel is fitted but the airbag wiring has been cut behind the dash so will have to have a word with the Mot tester about that. Might just bridge the air bag circuit with a resistor tbh.

All arches have been wire brushed, washed and waxoyled.

Shocks have been removed cleaned greased up and refitted.

Rear number plate removed and refitted as it was wonky.

So got to get it booked in tomorrow, there's about a week and a half wait for a test so im hoping it goes through ok otherwise it's getting a bit close to japfest!

Fingers crossed lol

Have you done much research with running the e manage with the 20v ecu?

Lads over here have been fiddling with them for years. Piggybacks dont seem to work on the 20v ecu.

From what i know the ecu will over ride the piggyback after a week or so.

I dont know the excact ins and outs but it might be worth looking into...

Yeah I've read about it and the general consensus is if it's got the full harness it will work. If not it will reset. Must be some crazy ecu tbh lol

Plus It would seem strange that greddy would supply a car specific PB ecu that wouldn't work, surely they would have had hella complaints and stopped making them?

Got my trueno wheel on over the previous weekend but the horn didn't work for some reason, so this weekend I had the airbag off to inspect and it turns out some copper contacts weren't conducting (go figure) so I roughed them up a bit and hey presto one working horn!

20140427_122218.jpg

20140427_122228.jpg

I'll stick my rear number plate on one evening during the week and then it's just a case of waiting for its Mot!

Prob works so. I know likes of hks piggy backs and apexi safc have that issue.

Most lads go for a omex standalong. Standard ecu is deffo the weak spot in the 20v

Funny enough i had a jam ecu in my ae111. It was only one of two i have ever heard of.

Yeah I've seen numerous threads on it. Seems the emb/u is the only viable option on piggy back. But only one way to find out I guess!

I'd like a standalone but just can't justify it for a few hp. Fair enough if I planned on boosting it but I don't.

I've seen a couple of aftermarket ecu's crop up for them but most seem to raise the Rev limit and when you hear horror stories of the rods going that's the last thing I want to do haha

Yep, blacktops like throwing a leg out of bed. If you really want to rev it then silvertop rods are good insurance. They seam to hold together much better with short service intervals. I've seen a few with ventilation ports in the side of the block and the common theme was lots of revs and not wonderful servicing

• 2 weeks later...

nice build dude, good work

Cheers dude :)

Here's a little video of me and my mate pissing about on the way home from Japfest. This is with the waterproof housing on the Gopro lol

justy turbo vs starlet 20v:
>http://youtu.be/EfgbW_14i_A

And just to try make myself feel a bit better that car is 214whp compared to my 135whp lol

Edited by morgey
  • 4 weeks later...