I was just adjusting the handbrake on the Starbo in prep for her MOT in a couple of weeks. Adjust the brake inside the drum, put everything back together and went to move it down the drive to where there's more of a slope to test it and it wouldn't move.

I thought I might've over tightened it for a second, but when it was jacked up I could spin the wheel by hand easily.

5 minutes of working the handbrake and trying to pull away with and without engine assistance and I realised I hadn't actually taken the chocks from in front of the wheels. My neighbour across the road was pissing herself in her garden.

This got me to wondering, what's everyone's worst knob moment when they've been working on their cars?

Edited by FrozenJakalope

Hahaha thats brilliant.

a good one i usually do is jack the car up before loosening the wheels.

I aslo didnt do my head bolts up properly on my old 4efe so in turn blew the head gasket i had just replaced haha live and learn hey! It was my first time taking an engine apart and back together again...

Ive seen some stupid ones, and dangerous.

Just a daft one seen a boy checking a wheel for a puncture.. he had removed the tyre from the wheel then put the tyre in the tyre bath trying to watch for air coming out..

Lol put a td04 kit,fuel pump,injectors all the usual stuff on a gt I had primed the turbo n went to start it up for the first time was turning over fine just would not fire at all had me baffled for days was ready to burn the fucker.. Silly me hadn't plugged the fuel pump back in after changing it what a wally 😂 felt like a ryt idiot haha

done most of those haha!

I decided to convert my ep95 myself! That was defo one of those moments! Did the actual conversion in jig time then it sat unfinished needing trivial things for a few years! It still has wee issues after being on the road 6 months!

Set fire to charl's car once when we found an un expected fuel leak, that and fitted the coolant lines to the throttle body wrong too, filled her engine with coolant lol. Sorry charl :(

Far far to many most recent one was after a rear caliper seized My car sat for a week or so on axle stands while I found one. Fitted it super happy ready go away and wondered why it wouldn't move then dawned on me and sitting on axle stands ha!

most frustrating one I ever did was wired polarity up incorrectly on radiator fan after I changed to a civic rad,

so the fan was spinning the wrong way my engine keep getting very hot after a blast took weeks to find out what it was.... whoops

I do stupid stuff all the time and then I get so annoyed with myself. Spent ages trying to figure out what a load of plugs were for after fitting a Glanza engine to my red GT and after an hour I realised the thermostat housings were totally different...

Hammering the shit out of a track rod end to pop it up out of the hub to then realise of not taken off the 17mm nut...

I could go on forever about stuff I've done while I've been trying to paint things... Like touching wet paint like a total idiot. Butterflies landing on wet paint, not cleaning a gun properly and primer spaffing all over in the clear. Forgetting to turn the compressor on. Etc etc

I welded the sills on a mates fiesta and didn't lift the carpets.. set the whole interior on fire haha

Put a head gasket on upside down on a 106 gti, blocked an oil gallery and snapped the cams in half haha must admit I wasn't laughing at the time haha

set fire to my engine bay once when using brake cleaner to clean it with the engine running. Turns out its pretty flammable after all :p

And more recently I over tightened a rear bearing bolt which meant the bearing got welded onto the back axle and prompted a late night drive in a convertable mini down to socks to get a new back axle