So I'm back in a Starlet.

I've been in Japan for a little over a year now and it was time to get a toy to have some fun at the local race tracks. Now being in Japan you think it would be easy to find a suitable car. Wrong.... sometimes being spoilt for choice makes it all that much harder. The criteria for the vehicle was it had to be cheap, fun and reliable. Initial thoughts had me looking at MX-5's, Toyota Altezza's and various Honda's, but when this Starlet popped up the decision was easy.

The car is a well looked after 1991 Starlet GT, 76,000km and a few subtle modifications (cage, seat, LSD, suspension) that meant I could hit the ground running.

The plans are to slowly build it up and improve it with sensible and cost effective modifications. The build is more about fun than a impressive spec sheet and hopefully spending more time racing than swinging spanners with the ultimate goal to get some track time at Tsukuba.

ScreenShot2015-01-18at63845PM_zpsc03e5fc

ScreenShot2015-01-18at63830PM_zps5823e72

ScreenShot2015-01-18at63811PM_zps3aacbe7

I'm looking forward to updating the thread as things progress.

Cheers

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are some cheap one over here but as this one already had a few nice modifications including the LSD and was clean with low km I was happy to pay a little bit of it. Glad I did now as the car has been great.

A quick update of now.

List of mods the car came with:

Aftermarket exhaust
Aftermarket engine mounts
Biltein suspension (coilover front)

Aftermarket LSD
14" Enkei wheels

Recaro drivers seat
6 point cage
Mud flaps

Sump guard

Momo steering wheel

Nothing over the top, but still a nice base to start with.

Since purchased I have:

Changed the steering wheel for a suede item.

Changed wheels to SSR Type 15 x 7 +35 with 2nd hand Advan A050 Semi's

Service and check over
Changed computer to Blitz Access

Added carbon cannards

Cannards added, I had these lying around, it's fair to say any gains would be minimal if at all.

IMG_5781-1_zpsdtpgl30e.jpg

Computer changed to Blitz Access:

IMG_6202_zpsiojax9xg.jpg

Then it was race time at Tsukuba:

IMG_6211_zps4llxruai.jpg

IMG_6212_zpswzvtpzyf.jpg

Unfortunately it was very wet, so the times were much slower than anticipated, but still plenty of fun. The car performed fantastic and was the fastest in class (A bit of a surprise)

10527438_815185351884039_797038085181038

The event consisted of a warm up session and 2 x 20 minute timed sessions which was enough for the first time out in the car and first time at the track (Playstation aside)

IMG_6216_zpsydzek5xl.jpg

More mods to come, brakes first and at least a change of the standard restrictive dump pipe.

Looking forward to a dry track next time out.

Brilliant. Tsukuba is great track, well jealous :D Out of interest how close is the playstation to real life, in terms of the track. Did you find it helped playing the playstation before hand ?

Very sweet Mk1 you got there. Amazing that you beat those other cars, there are some heavy contenders there!

There is a bit of interest in the Starlet, mainly people saying they are quite rare these days though and then a few people that don't know so much about them that are interested in it.

The track is quite similar to the playstation although you never quite get the elevation change and camber in the game. Also the track is quite wide.

I think many of those other cars were taking it pretty easy.

Few updates.

Carbon mirrors fitted

IMG_7533_zpsuzcdn1dx.jpg

IMG_7534_zpsfijpjvc0.jpg

ARC top mount intercooler fitted:

IMG_8037_zpsmkggt6zw.jpg

b638f3e7-59bf-4676-8543-36c55cb12e42_zps

Air conditioning removed

Blitz dump pipe installed

Koyo radiator installed

Headlight removed for air intake.

Also removed the ARP sump guard, although a nice item it's not required for the circuit. I will keep it aside for any dirt/gravel events.

IMG_8769_zps8injflfu.jpg

IMG_8770_zpsspyyrmdx.jpg

IMG_8772_zpsy6llhl5r.jpg

IMG_8776_zpsttkpsr2t.jpg

IMG_8788_zpsiizqh2ba.jpg

IMG_8797_zpssz1y20qr.jpg

IMG_8796_zps30xzayza.jpg

Project Mu brake pads fitted

New brake fluid
Cusco brake master cylinder brace fitted

IMG_9858_zpsxnlomwmh.jpg

IMG_9859_zpsvg19vyvi.jpg

IMG_9853_zpswozxnpbv.jpg

IMG_9861_zpsmpgtdsv7.jpg

Harness fitted.

269a48a7-3c44-4bbb-b338-cce949590288_zps

Back to the track and a best of 1:12.398

IMG_0726_zpsyrirgg55.jpg

IMG_0725_zpsklvrvhy6.jpg

Edited by EP82 Touge

Jam is gone, from what I understand Zep is still operating but I haven't been there in a long time. Obviously there are some generic workshops that would work on Starlets, but in terms of new parts being made I think there is more from you guys in the UK than Japan unfortunately.

great read!!! like our own in-house version of Speedhunters at Tsukuba!!! And the workshop pic with various beasts lurking in the background, classic!!!!!

great thread bud, looking forward to reading and seeing more! Also, that headlamp conversion looks super tidy for a DIY item!!! kudos!!!

Phil.

Haha haven't had a chance to do anything to the car, but a few more parts have been accumulated.

I will be working on the suspension set-up first of all.

Spread our forum page about to other enthusiasts :) would be great to make more of a bond with fellow starleteers in Japan, more pics the better haha

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a few more items for the car.

ARC blow off vale
Sard hot pipe

Tom's intake

ca47c44c-6dd3-4dcc-ade4-00752bf67b2f_zps

IMG_4187_zpsxzkioryf.jpg

P0002_021210-1_zps9f6fqi8l.jpg

IMG_4189_zpspygayng1.jpg

The Sard pipe and Tom's intake will be painted before fitting.

I notice quite a few people remove the factory bracket and metal section of the vacumn lines, which it looks like I might need to do as the ARC bov is obviously much bigger.

Edited by EP82 Touge