30/10/17

Finally got the final pieces to the puzzle that is the gearbox

Then I can get on and Shim the diff

DSC_0345.thumb.jpg.97b1c4f94ed0df850b0ac

DSC_0370.thumb.JPG.cf478525e5103e36170db

Bought all the synchromesh gears, needle bearings (already have all the other bearings), a seal kit with all the gasket, seals and plug washers, new 2nd gear (because the synchronisation teeth that the synchromesh mates with were fairly worn down), a new reverse gear hub (because this has the synchronisation teeth for 3rd gear which were also fairly worn, this will prevent any 2nd or 3rd gear crunch), a UK spec speedo gear and speedo drive (so I won't need a kph to Mph converter)

All these parts came direct from United Arab Emirates and Japan, and also got stung by fucking customs with both packages :nea:hence why it took so long!

All the synchros and some of the gears have been revised and replaced the old part numbers and I see why. Toyota have changed the design of the synchronisation teeth to hopefully provide better engagement and longer life

DSC_0371.thumb.JPG.bdc173d9d41bce90f9656

The only other thing I have done lately is rebuilt my 7/8 Levin master cylinder I bought to hopefully work better with the Levin calipers and hopefully give better braking overall

DSC_0346.thumb.jpg.952f04d5e4702d1f2e85c

Not much has happened during this time as I have been trying to make a model replica of my friends car who sadly passed away

Screenshot_20170622-231031.thumb.jpg.d05DSC_0369.thumb.jpg.a4dce60ee510ed14df7d9

Not sure what's actually happened to my gearbox rebuild thread, but admins are aware and will try to sort out this issue as soon as possible

Here you can see the difference between the synchronisation teeth, top one is the revised design

DSC_0374.thumb.jpg.6cf00cbeee2bade420f1b

Edited by Trevstar
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2017, 06:55:30, MR-2 said:

Nice tread to read, well done head works :thumbsup: That gearbox is pain in ass, I have that project coming also with mechanical TRD diff. Was those gearbox parts and Quaife expensive? 

Haha oooooohh yes! The Quaife with bearings was about £800 from Tuning developments and about £500 for the rest of the gearbox parts, but I had to buy these direct from Japan and United Emirates otherwise toyota over here wanted to charge me £1,666! (and that was with 10% discount..)

I am actually quite surprised though, the gearbox was actually relatively simple considering I have only taken a old Ford fiesta gearbox apart at college once and that was a few years ago now, it looks more intimidating than it is

• 3 weeks later...

29/11/17

Again not much has been going on lately, just slowly making progress, but should pick up again after Christmas.

However I have bought myself a TRD fuel cap 

DSC_0406.thumb.JPG.0121466de934d9ad6592f

And a few weeks ago I was thinking about my gearbox, if I didn't happen to reach my target bhp then I can imagine an N/A with a turbo gearbox would be a bit sluggish and lose acceleration, but you'd get more speed, what to do?

Answer, increase the final drive gear ratio

I checked the final drive of the glanza gearbox (which is 3.722), and a TRD final drive was out the question because it was too expensive and too high final drive, so started checking gearboxes with interchangeable parts, and as some of you already know, the Toyota Levin shares a number of things, and the gearbox internals is one of them

The later AE111 Levins use a C56 gearbox with a final drive ratio of 4.312 which should bump up the acceleration nicely even for a turbo'd starlet

So £200 odd later:

DSC_0405.thumb.JPG.480242510e71a27fc8a3c

A lot has been spent in this gearbox now, so much so I probably can't really justify to the Mrs but I want it to last, and while it's apart I want to get it right, because I don't want to have to take it out again once it's finally in

Next thing I've been up too was preparing something that will be required in future, a good old Greddy Emanage Ultimate

DSC_0404.thumb.JPG.d290a9dd473fdccc9f0c2

I have actually spent a lot of time on this figuring out where what wires go where since there isn't a diagram for 4E-FE

IMG-20171116-WA0006.thumb.jpeg.fda171360

so thought I'd finally give it a try (also had to buy myself a old laptop with Windows XP on it specifically to use the software), test fitted it and the car started up, revs, ignition cut works for the launch control and everything appears to be registering and working! Only thing I have noticed is that the car idles higher than usual when the Emanage is plugged in and I'm not sure why, but I'm going to leave this for a later stage.

For the turbo models you can get a plug and play field harness, but not for the N/A's. I considered permanently soldering everything in place, but I was thinking what if I needed to remove the Emanage from the equation and just run the oem ecu for whatever reason like if the Emanage failed while I was out and about for example. So instead I adapted the wiring harness for the Emanage and the original ECU so it could be removed

DSC_0394.thumb.JPG.312a7363ab58727beaa7f

DSC_0395.thumb.JPG.76c0d914a629f5e88ca78

DSC_0396.thumb.JPG.d402c5cd7b4bf65336914

Next thing I did might be a bit marmite for some people but I'm actually really chuffed about it, a shift indicator!

I figured as the Emanage has an auxiliary output that you can activate at certain RPM, I thought this would be perfect to use to activate the light and was inspired by how the subaru's have a little LED in the rev counter to indicate gear change

So I bought a little LED, filed it flat with the holder and drilled a hole for it and this is what I ended up with

DSC_0398.thumb.JPG.c8920900ec957af752538

Just subtle enough to pass as oem to the unknowing, sorted out the wiring, nice and tidy and this is the end result

DSC_0399.thumb.JPG.b200b9f3b8729ea092f12

DSC_0401.thumb.JPG.fcf7ef958606072e846e6

DSC_0400.thumb.JPG.30fc5362cb82b90268340

It's not so in your face but is bright enough to grab your attention

Next thing I need to do is modify the Emanage so that I can make it work with my little mode switch I want to install that I bought a while ago, instead of using the dip switch on the front panel of the Emanage, and strip the Levin box, steal the output shaft, and put my box back together

Edited by Trevstar
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Right then, here we are, 2020! After a long absence the time is soon approaching to get back to it, the project wasn't forgotten or abandoned! 

I hope all of you are doing well and have been able to swerve the virus! As some of you will know the car has been very kindly looked after by Pikey009 (the previous owner), but it will be soon returned to continue with its improvements!

A couple of changes have been decided on after Jase convinced me to go full hog and go 5E, since I'm putting all this effort into an N/A. I'd like to find another 5EFHE if I can bloody find another one! Anyone got any 5EFHE rods at least? 

Also decided that I am going to get some new valves, get a 3 angle valve job done, reshim (again) and make a slight modification in the inlet porting on the 5efhe head. Will make some modifications to the intake manifold, and I still got to finish the gearbox lol

I have also been considering having a look into having some parts reproduced/made up or making to sell such as the 5efhe cams, an adjustable short shifter, N/A headlight covers, and possibly an N/A exhaust manifold 

Any thoughts? 

Edited by Trevstar

Good to see your back. I hope you and family have been well. 

Can't wait to see any and all progress on this ep, I'd be interested in the cams. 

Do you know the lift and duration I can't find much info on them at all. 

Edited by Sam44
3 hours ago, Sam44 said:

Good to see your back. I hope you and family have been well. 

Can't wait to see any and all progress on this ep, I'd be interested in the cams. 

Do you know the lift and duration I can't find much info on them at all. 

Cheers mate, the same to you! 👍

The 5efhe cams have a 8.5% increased lift on the inlet and a 4% increase on the exhaust, theres a good post here you could check out HERE

As for the durations im not too sure, although I believe they are slightly less than the 4E cams

Edited by Trevstar
  • 2 weeks later...

Always loved this SR gotta be one of the best in the country along with Dalesr low mileage, I really hope these start going up in value soon I always get people asking about mine in petrol stations etc

We had a big brief in the workshop on Friday and had a lot of other people in there from other departments, the interest the SR and GT got was ridiculous. I’ve had 5 serious offers on the GT now lol and have explained the SR isn’t mine to sell