• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the feeling mate, I thought about it but couldn't do it. Those OMP wheels are nice, I nearly went for one like that before this popped up. Good luck with the hunting mate.

Gave her another coat of wax in preparation for winter today and gave her a good clean inside and out, there was a lot of dust on her after sitting in my garage for the last few weeks.

Here's how she cleaned up:

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture010-2.jpg

Picture013-4.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

Picture015-3.jpg

Picture016-3.jpg

Picture017-2.jpg

Picture018-2.jpg

Picture019-4.jpg

Picture021-2.jpg

Picture022-5.jpg

Picture023-4.jpg

Picture024-5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!

As some of you know I had a hideous noise appearing whenever I was booting the car. I took it to two qualified mechanics and a tuning company and neither of them could figure out what was making the noise. After putting up with it for over a week I decided while I was pissed off with the car to take it out and boot it to see if that gets me anywhere. After a few miles the car started sounding absolutely awful, so I could tell whatever was making the noise had now become more evident. Upon popping the bonnet Rick realised that the bolts to the mani had vibrated themselves off and it was very slightly held on by 1 bolt which was causing the turbo to vibrate and make the noise occour.

I was extremely glad that the issue was now solved as this was at about 11pm on Saturday and I had booked to get mapping done with Nick Jones (Tuning Developments) on the Sunday. Rick being Rick obviously had to have his Call of Duty fix before we headed to bed so we ended up getting to bed a bit too late!

Rick and I woke up at 5:30am on the Sunday to make the journey to Nick, it was a 250-odd mile journey so we had to leave bloody early. I was generally feeling very upbeat with the car as it was no longer making any suspicious noises and it was running just as it should do.

We arrived at Nick at about 10:45am-ish and had a chat for a while before him getting on to changing my gearbox oil, fitting all new manifold bolts (2 of them were seemingly impossible to reach with my tools) and having the eManage fitted into the Field Harness. Mike dropped us off in town to burn some time while Nick did his work, thanks for the lift/pick up again mate. We did some shopping and dribbled over the waitresses in Nando's (for a very long time.) We then rang Nick to see how he was getting on and he said that he'd like us to come back as there's an issue, my heart pretty much sank again.

We got back to Nick's and he explained that there was low compression on one of the cylinders and that he really didn't want to go ahead with mapping unless I really wanted it done. I explained that it was a long way to come to head back with just an eManage fitted and that I haven't got much time anytime soon to go back again. I double checked with my insurance that I had recovery and told him I would really appreciate it if he would be willing to go ahead with the mapping.

I had a nervous wait for what seemed like an eternity while the mapping was carried out, a good bit of banter with Mike and co at base made it go by quicker though.

Eventually the car pulled up and since it didn't sound like an Impreza I assumed all was well. Nick said the mapping had gone fine and that it was all sorted and mapped to a bar, to say I was happy was an understatement. He re-did the compression test and whatever the issue was before had now seemingly corrected itself as it was running perfect on all cylinders. (Around 180 I think?)

After a fair bit more banter with Nick and Mike we headed back on our way, needless to say the journey home was quite a bit of fun. The improvement is absolutely amazing and it's really noticeable in the upper gears, even in fifth if you put your foot down you can see cars slowly disappearing in the rear view. It was another bloody long journey home but we got back at about 10pm-ish.

Today I woke up and took the car for a spin to remind myself just how much fun it is now, yesterday is all of a bit of a blur due to being so shattered and an emotional yo-yo throughout the entire day. I decided to book the car in for a dyno to see what kind of power it's putting out so I rang up a local company and they said pop down and they'll stick it on the rollers.

I was really pleased with the result, the figures were good but obviously where it had been a lot colder up by Nick yesterday afternoon where he had set the boost it had now dropped. I figured I would leave it exactly as the map had been done though and then tweak it at a later date, I just wanted to make sure everything was sorted and running spot on.

The result was 154.0HP ATW with 122.6ft/lb torque @ 12.79PSI/0.88 bar.

Graph:

IMG00074-20091207-1425.jpg

Video:

They were very impressed with Nick's map, especially for a road map and they explained it could be run a bit more lean but that it was a good, safe map.

As stated I will be upping the boost a bit before I go back again, I'll hopefully see a bit more power but for now I'm more than happy with it. It pulls like a train in every gear and I'm sure it's capable of upsetting some much bigger cars.

I would like to say many thanks to Rick for helping me with everything and giving me spot on advice whenever I need it. Nick and Mike at Tuning Developments for their great work and hospitality during our visit. All the other people who have helped me out and given me advice recently, it's very much appreciated. Oh, and of course the amazingly hot waitress who basically nearly forced both Rick and I to drown in pools of our own dribble. If anyone's going to Nando's in Warrington anytime soon I'd recommend going on a Sunday afternoon. :p

Haha, I am going to get it up to a bar and take it back, it was sodding cold in Warrington yesterday but it was 13 degrees where I had the dyno done, so I guess that had some effect on it.

Of course you can add it to the dyno records mate, absolutely fine with me.

I think the story needs a correction Bill. you make it sound like you were way too cool about having it mapped.

i was close to using physical force to make you have it mapped, you massive gay ^^. fat people crying isnt nice to watch. it would have been luls if it blew up to be honest. i would have also been able to actually sleep in the recovery truck on the way home as well.... ^

now, the car.

ive driven alot of starlets, from stock all the way up to my old one. Bills car is one of the nicent examples ive ever driven. the power is spot on, with a very usable torque band (anyone who knows what a good power graph is, will agree). now i dont usually throw praise about easliy, but i was impressed with the mapping, especially as it was only a shitty blue emanage. so i would recommend Nick to anyone after a nice usable, safe road map.

id also like to say that i was overly impressed with the turbo. Geo, youve made a good little hybrid there mate. i was surprised.

anyway. i was so glad to get home last night. fuck driving up there ever, ever again.

rofl, such a prick.

It's true however, that I wasn't too keen on getting it done, I'm glad I did though it was a gamble that paid off for once.

I'm glad you agree that the power it's putting out is nice mate, I've driven it a fair bit today and it's had me giggling like a little girl again.

You were glad to get home? Imagine how I fucking felt after you ate that whole chicken and just did Nandos/semen burps the whole way home that actually made me want to die?

I've had praise about the car from Nick, yourself and the guy who carried out the mapping today, with the exception of the dodgy compression test everyone has said it's a great engine too, which is always nice to hear.