Blue smoke :( And I'm getting a really annoying vibration noise coming in at around 4k RPM.

Hopefully it's the turbo that was supplied with the Zisco kit that I got that is on it's way out, so I'll be taking it apart weekend after next to see what's up. HOPEFULLY it's the turbo, as that just means it's a case of swapping the welded up exhaust housing from this one over to my old turbo and using that instead, but I just cannot remember if the car smoked beforehand on the old turbo as well.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, after checking, it seems the blue smoke is only very very intermittent, and only on startup. Will leave it until it starts getting worse.

I was having problems with my cooling system when going on *ahem* high speed runs. (To be fair, Dad kept egging me on :p). Under very high load it seems that the pressure gets too much and forces its way inot the expansion tank, filling it up and leaking out of the overflow a bit. Rad cap is probably fucked, so I've got a TRD 1.3 bar radcap on the way, hopefully that solves it. If not, then we'll know it's a more serious problem.

Other than that, there's a set of Magnecor 8mm leads and Yellowstuff brakepads sat in the shed. Hopefully be able to fit them before JAE, but I really want to get my breather sorted before I fit the leads so maybe not. Oh, and there's a super sekrit addition to the car to be fitted at the weekend, all shall be revealed down at Wicksteed ;)

All shall be revealed at JAE. Truth be told, I am not at all happy with the paint finish on them, but the current tyres on my Rotas are pretty much illegal now so they have to be fitted. Am going to give the wheel refurb place a lashing though, find out that they were playing at and try and get them to redo them after JAE.

Also tested the cooling system now that I have the 1.3bar radcap, doesn't seem to be overheating like before, but the expansion tank is still filling up under sustained heavy load in 5th (high speed ;p), so whether that is just a shit stock cooling system on the starlets, or a deeper problem, I don't know. Did the bubble test with the 'straw' pickup in the expansion bottle and there's no major amount coming out, just the odd one or two if I blip the throttle.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as some of you saw down at JAE, the GT is now wearing the Volk 5/4s I had bought about 3 years ago :p Finally got round to getting them refurbed in a Rays gold/bronze style colour, and they look fantastic. I have to admit, ever since I saw a set on Phil's (Nanglebadger) car, I had always been curious as to how a set would look on a GT, and I'm glad I went through with it!

The car also won the Admin's Choice of JAE, something that I'm chuffed about, even if the car isn't anywhere near what I want it as exterior wise. Car is sorted engine/perfomance wise for the time being, it's certainly enough for me and the roads around me.

Future plans:
Exterior

- Either full Livesports kit bar the spoiler, or Livesports front lip with optional Aero skirts and rear spats.

- Reverse scoop of some kind.
- Replace faded tint on rear windows.

- Investigate if imperfections (orange peel, laquer runs) in paint can be polished out. If not, eventually strip it and have a full respray (but this will be miles off yet).

Interior

- Replace bulbs in gauge cluster.
- Nab an OEM rear fog light switch off a UK spec 80 or 90 and wire in/ fit it in the blank panel next to the front fog switch for that OEM feel. They look visually similar, and would look better than a simple universal switch.

- Different driver's seat maybe?

Handling

- Investigate front brake discs to see if they are warped.

- Buy new front discs (if needed) and new OEM rear discs

- Fit new pads all round (Yellowstuff fronts, OEM rear)

- Front and rear strut braces
- Rear anti-roll bar

- Re-bush front suspension etc

Engine

- Investigate oil from my breather. Hopefully it's normal and will be solved with a catch can.
- Fit 8mm Magnecor leads after breather has been investigated (don't want to mess up the boots from the leaking oil like my stock ones have)

Fankoo Phil :D

Oh and as a sidenote, I'm deciding to get some spigot rings for my 5/4s as I'm getting a bit of wheel vibration even after balancing. Contacted Rays to see if they have a spigot size on record, but if not they seem to have a ~64mm bore so I may order some that I found that are 64.3mm if I don't hear from Rays, and give those a try instead.

Edited by Bluebear

Lol, all there is, is the one in the JAE winners thread. Never took any with my phone because the battery was always on the verge of dying :(

Hoping that Adam took some or someone else did. Will take some this weekend after I wash it and before I swap the Rotas back on (need to measure up my Volks to see what to do about spigot rings)

Well, for those of you who didn't come to JAE (and for those of you who WERE at JAE but never saw it clean :p), here is the GT with the Volks on.

o28YsqT.jpg

Need to get some proper photos done at some point, my phone camera just doesn't cut it. Makes everything a bit faded too.

Edited by Bluebear

I think my headgasket is on its way out! ^_^ What fun!

Seems to be a cylinder-water leak i think, don't seem to be losing coolant though, but it overheats if I get fiesty with the pedal and the expansion tank looks like a bubblebath at times. Smells a bit gassy too. Going to get it into my mates garage to whip the head off, new gasket and re-do valve stem seals at the same time, and then replace rear brake discs and pads, front discs and pads and rebush the front suspension with polybushes.

They're happy to take them back, and I got them to write that down so there's no weaselling out for them. Probs going in sometime this month. Although to be fair, with the weather we've been having recently around here, they may not be going back on this year!

Anyway, car will be going into my mates garage on Weds to get everything sorted. New steel gasket, new valve stem seals, head skim to be safe, and then new rear discs and pads, fit my Yellowstuffs, look into whether a new set of front discs are needed, and see what part of my front suspension is failing and causing the car to feel upset in corners.

Any advice on what front (stock size) discs to get? Currently on grooved 3G discs, and I've been quite happy with them. Any alternatives? Do 3G even still make Starlet discs any more?

• 3 weeks later...