Quick update on the GT.

As most of you know, it finally made it to JAE! Unfortunately it developed an erratic idle while it was there. Going from most of the topics and UKSC and on TGTT about what causes it, the most likely culprit seemed to be the air valve solenoid jobby on the end of the inlet manifold. After cleaning it, it still didn't solve it, and it definately wasn't working as we couldn't hear it clicking. Got a new one and fitted, and the same problem was there but not as pronounced, with the valve definately working now (from the sound). Me and my dad believe the car is misfiring now, and the leads are probably most likely to be at fault as the plugs are brand new NGK Iridiums, and having a new dizzy cap before JAE. Every minute or so, the engine sounds like its running on three cylinders for a second, if that, before returning to normal.

Going to take it to a mates garage on Sat to try out his two sets of leads and see if it is that, and if it is, get hold of a set. Any recommendations for which brand to go for? I've heard some grumblings about the Magnecors breaking, but is this a widespread problem? Another mate who doesn't use the forums says he might still have some Ultras lying about from his old Starlet, are these a good brand?

Thanks to Adam for these pics :D :

GT%20JAE2012%20front_zpsc4b72feb.jpg

GT%20JAE2012%20rear_zps851bb28b.jpg

Edited by Bluebear
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was great to see this in the flesh mate, was a cracking looking car.

I have the ultras on mine and they work a treat, used the magnecors on a previous car and they were spot on but one of Phils has broken on him.

If you think its misfiring check for water sitting on the spark plugs, has happened to me a few times, if you pull the leads out they maybe a little wet but also get a torch and look down onto the top of the spark.

Hope its a simple fix anyway mate

Well, after checking every single sensor going and finding they're all fine, as well as trying two sets of leads we know are good, my mate thought he'd whip off the cambelt cover and see what the craic was. It was 3 teeth out :p Poking around lead us to the tensioner spring being weak as fuck, and we reckon that it must have skipped when I've been getting used to the ORC and accidently let it out too quick when setting off (jerked the engine). Belt looked a bit ratty as well, so new belt and tensioner spring are on the way!

Edited by Bluebear

hehe, is boost treatin u well Nick :D

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop with only 10p

"But I want moreeeeee!"

Defo going to have to sort creep though, it was loving the cold air a little too much tonight. Will keep it steady going for now, and start looking into CT9 hybrid kits. First on list is new engine mounts though, clunk clunk, drivers side is shagged. After that it'll be coilies, or at the least, spring and strut set up, as the rears atm are fucked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice Nick an dont forget to add a little protection to the threads in the way of a cover ;)

John

Any examples?

And cheers guys! Just need to get an adjustable panhard rod and then I should be getting them fitted some point next week! :D

Edited by Bluebear

Yeah I followed John's method of using a cut up inner tyre off a push bike and cable ties after I'd dismantled them and copper greased all the threads!

^^^ What Amjad said :) an a couple of pics :)

P1020862.jpg

P1020860.jpg

Old inner tube cut up, threads greased and then wrap the inner tube round an fasten with cable ties, keeps all the crap off em :)

John

• 3 weeks later...

As some of you know on Facebook, the Miesters are all on and set up nicely. Need to check the hardness settings, but at the moment they're maybe just a little too soft, however, that said, with these roads I don't want to risk them being harder.

Well pleased with the performance, a world away from the fucked suspension that was on before!

Edited by Bluebear