• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

Spent the day grazing my knuckles and cursing at the turbo and cat today, some of those nuts are in awkward as fuck places to get to. Eventually got the turbo off and split it, and me and Dad have spent the last 3 hours porting the wastegate with some cheapo Chinese budget Dremel ripoff that didn't really seem to do much :D At the moment it's just shy of being 24mm across, it should be fine now I would have thought. Slight hairline crack in it, but we didn't take so much off there and there's only one. Going put the turbo back together again tomorrow and then figure out how we're going to get it back on the car! Probably be so much easier with a decat and aftermarket mani. With regards to the stock manifold, I've not bothered porting that as I'm not looking to go over standard boost anyway. If I do, it'll be on a different turbo set-up (possibly TF035 or TD04).

Will get pics up tomorrow, hopefully enough has come off to give the finger to boost creep once and for all!

To be fair, we were fast running out of grinding bits (they were only tiny tiny things, went about through 5 on the turbo alone!). Hopefully next year, insurance and money will be more conducive to going down the new turbo set-up route.

Edited by Bluebear

Well, time to put my mardy face on. While it's a lot better than it was before, it still creeps, eventually getting up 0.9 (not hit fuel cut though, backed off at that point.) Definately stays at 0.7 for quite a bit longer though. Time to look at lengthening my intake route then! Anyone want a filter relocation kit? :p

• 1 month later...

Not a lot has happened since coilovers and a half-arsed attempt at porting the turbo, but I now have a Zisco external wategate kit sat in my shed with a modded CT9 and a TiAL wg with a 0.8 bar spring in. Hopefully fit it this weekend if my new vacuum hosing arrives today or tomorrow!

Just to confirm, the line from the turbo goes to the side port on the TiAL yeah? Top one open to atmos?

IMAG0086.jpg

Well, the Zisco bits are all fitted, apart from one problem. My top intercooler pipe no longer fits :p The turbo that came with the kit must have been rotated slightly, but it's been enough to throw out any chance of the pipe cleanly fitting. To be fair, even on the old turbo it was never a good fit and always involved a bit of cursing and aluminium filings flying everywhere when trying to manhandle it on.

Luckily I know someone who does ally welding, so I'm going to get in touch with him later. Spent the rest of the afternoon treating the car to a wash and wipe down in the engine bay.

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

JDM y0!

My intercooler pipe never fitted after I fitted my Zisco ram horn either. Think its a common problem with them.

So is it the actual angle of the turbo where it bolts onto the flange of the mani then? Or would have mine been rotated to clear the mani? Also, if you had a decat, did you ever attach the brace to the gearbox? There's at least 3-4mm gap between the g'box and the brace, and I have no idea what bolt to use or what.

Slips look really well on this man, and your bay is a lot more presentable than mine haha

Yeah man, I've been pleased how well my quick satin black rattlecan job worked! Looks well with the car. All the engine bay took was a quick wipe down with WD-40, brings the paint up beautiful. Then again it's always been in good nick, I've yet to see any rust there other than where the previous owner welded in a new bar (that the rad etc hangs off).

Edited by Bluebear

So is it the actual angle of the turbo where it bolts onto the flange of the mani then? Or would have mine been rotated to clear the mani? Also, if you had a decat, did you ever attach the brace to the gearbox? There's at least 3-4mm gap between the g'box and the brace, and I have no idea what bolt to use or what.

Don't think the angle of the turbo would matter mate, think it wouldn't fit either way. Yeah I could never bolt up the brace either as it was miles off the gearbox I just left it unbraced and it was fine.

Well, I got the intercooler pipe needed back off my mate who has done a sterling job of cutting and welding it to suit the turbo.

Took it out for a blast last night to see what the mani, decat and external wastegate are like, and oh my word! Feels soo much more better being able to keep my foot firmly down and not have to worry about boost creep and fuel cut! The wastegate has a 0.8 bar spring in it, so just a little over 0.1 bar over stock.

However, on the way back home, the coolant temp gauge just suddenly shot up and engine light came on. Immediately killed the engine and pulled in to find the bottom radiator hose had popped off and dumped all of its contents over the road, turns out the hose clip was never put back on properly! Got the hose on, clip on, filled the rad back up again, started her up and temp was back to normal and no engine light on. Top job.

Moved the car a bit and noticed a puddle darker than the rest, turns out it was oil! :( Now I'm getting worried, looked under the car to find the entire lower engine bay and suspension on the drivers side is covered, and I mean COVERED in oil, dripping. Started it up after checking there was still oil in the car, no knocking noises, no oil leaking out from anywhere on idle or on low revs. Hopefully it's just the banjo bolt on oil feed for the turbo not being tight enough at high revs :( Either that or my crank seal has given up on life. Seems to have come from the front of the engine block though, so hopefully it's the oil feed line.

Gingerly drove it home at low speed (only lived a mile away from where I pulled in), and I'm going to give it all a good check over tomorrow.

Must admit, screamer sounded evil :D

Edited by Bluebear

Just to let everyone know, me and my Dad have no ducking clue what caused the oil leak. We topped up the oil, checked all the bolts on the oil lines which were tight, had the engine running, wiped off all the old oil, and was revving a bit but there's absolutely no leakage, from anywhere. It then got 3 good blasts out with regular checks to see if it was leaking oil again but the engine exterior is completely bone dry.

Only thing we than think of is that the banjo bolt on the oil turbo feed must have just been nipped enough up when I was testing to see how tight it was. Odd though, as I never felt the spanner move. Going to keep an eye on it over the next week or so, see if it does it again.

I was losing a small amount from my banjo bolt just after I done the td05 conversion nipped it up slightly and not had any loss, bar a few drops from my oil return I think adjusted that also this weekend so far so good so I'd keep my eyes on them buggers!

Nearly a week on and the car has been absolutely fine, no more loss of oil. Looking increasingly like the banjo bolt was tight but just not tight enough, and that my slight tug on it to check the bolt wasn't loose was just enough to nip it up.

Also, that fucking screamer. I'm glad I'm deaf, it's loud! :D Just worried now about if I want to take it on track. I assume it'd be too loud for track noise limits?