Well I've mentioned this in my project thread but thought it'd be a good idea to start a new one to get it out there...

Earlier today I was pulled over by the police and after numerous questions they told me that the car is stolen...

They said that a garage originally owned the car and that one of the employees took the car without permission and sold it..."apparently".

They checked my details and of course I am the registered keeper and I'm insured etc etc.

They then said they will forward the details onto the original officer in charge of the case so that he can "chase it up" if it's still required...?

I've done some research and from what I can find, if they do anything about it, they'll take the car off me and theres not really anything I can do about it. What I don't understand is that I've modified the car, spent quite a bit of money on it making it road worthy and adding performance parts etc, selling original parts...

Has anyone got any advice what so ever?.....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somebody off here had this before you didnt they dude?

you know where they got it from?

as said, strip as much off it as you possibly can to sell, and demand some sort of money back seeing as you bought the car far and square, apart from the fact it had been stolen which you had no idea about

Slow down before you strip it!!!, basicaly my mates mum's 600hp skyline was stolen and the insurance payed out, then the car resurfaced and it turned out her ex had stolen it and reregistered it in his name!! Long story short, insurance payed out, therefore she wasnt entitled to the car back, if the garage claimed on their insurance then they arnt entitled to it back, you bought it under honest intension, its yours and you payed for it, your the registered keeper. Wait and see what the investigating officer says, not all cops are cocks (mrs family are all cops), he will sympathise with you, after all you didnt steal it!

My advice, hide the car away from the house, mate was in a similar situation, police wanted to take the car, luckily enough I used my garage to hide it. They were intent on taking the car so in the end we stripped it to a bare shell (was rusty anyway). We then let the police take away what was left. Never heard anything more of it after that

Day

Personally I would garage it without stripping anything off yet, just make sure u don't mention it to anyone where it is, wait for the outcome from the police, if they want it back, just spend a few days stripping it, and tell them u will give it back in the same condition u brought it in, I would personally strip everything off it, sell everything and just give them back a bare shell with the correct chassis number there looking for!

Its a bit pants when something like this happens, but u have to get your hard earnt money and time out of it.

Slow down before you strip it!!!, basicaly my mates mum's 600hp skyline was stolen and the insurance payed out, then the car resurfaced and it turned out her ex had stolen it and reregistered it in his name!! Long story short, insurance payed out, therefore she wasnt entitled to the car back, if the garage claimed on their insurance then they arnt entitled to it back, you bought it under honest intension, its yours and you payed for it, your the registered keeper. Wait and see what the investigating officer says, not all cops are cocks (mrs family are all cops), he will sympathise with you, after all you didnt steal it!

My old man had a very rare cosworth back in his day and the pigs(i meant feds. typo) came one day and said it was stolen and they took it.! just like that. insurance said nothing.!

mate my brother brought an e36 m3 and it turned out to be a stolen motor and the DVLA came and took the car away,what he did was got in toch with trading standerds showed them all the paper work for the car etc.. showed them the cars add and he got hiz money back after a couple of weks if you need more info pm me.. it wasnt that simple but along the lins of that

Oh my lol!... Well I've already started stripping, I've taken all of the back out, the ECU off and bits and bobs like gear knob, CD player etc etc...

The guy I bought it from was some lad in Walsall. His mum was the registered keeper... Yes someone called Tat owned the car on here before me... I'm sure he probably knows something about it tbh.

They said that it was reported stolen a long time ago but a 2nd report was filed on the 1st of november which is literally 3 days after I bought the car!?....

I personally didn't do a HPI check however my mate Matt (Socks) did one and said that the car was clean.....

If the garage didn't claim and they still own it, it's going to be taken off me because obviously they'll want it back... If they DID claim and the insurance own it, it's going to be taken off me because they'll want it..... Is there a win in this situation what so ever? Without paying the insurance company or the garage...

I don't see how this is going to work fair what so ever, considering I have modified the car and fixed it up from a poor condition??

Jesus Christ mate! Surely you have a right to keep the car seems though you spent your hard earned on it and are 100% geniune with the being insured and registered to you??

If you need a hand stripping it down though mate give me a shout.

get all the worth bits off it first! Engine, wheels, shafts then body work n stuff cant believe they didnt just take there and then TBH, If it had no tax or mot or insurance they wouldnt let you drive away, just goes to show ya if it nicked there not arsed because they cant fine you :o

how many owners has it had since it was reported stolen? im sure if your the 3rd owner they cant do anything as youve baught it in good faith or some shit like that.

personally id break it for spares, youd be surprised how much you make back trust me! just tell them its been stolen again

Right I've taken a bunch of stuff out of it. Tomorrow I'm taking the coilovers off and putting standard suspension on (sorry Steve, if it gets taken I'll pay for it). Taking the decat off, the filter relocation off, loads of other bits and bobs that wont be too obvious.

Also I've just done a HPI check myself and suprise suprise...

Stolen This registration was recorded stolen on the Police National Computer on 1 Nov 2009 by Hampshire Constabulary.

So I don't know what happened with Matt's check or if the original report wasn't there... I don't understand why there was a 2nd stolen report 3 days after I bought it... I need to get in touch with the guy I bought it off... Anyone know anyway of finding someone's phone number on the internet if I have their address?