stock 5efhe compression is 9.8:1, however, the 4ef/ 4efe piston dome is almost twice as tall.... My aim is to use oem parts to 'modify' mine. not sure how accurate my calculations were but it should be somewhere in the 10:62:1 compression range. cylinder pressure doesn't tell me much about compression ratio because my stock 4efe is 230/ 240 across each cyl and its 9.6:1 cr. so I'm not going by that. interesting info on the crank, I guess that would be cheaper than a full knife edge job, and would be a kind of engine insurance. Water injection would allow you to run ignition timing you wouldn't normally be able to on lower octane fuel, you could use this to push the boundaries and go for more power, or as a safety/ eco mode to run leaner mixtures without the temperature problem. Also our pumps are not labeled so for all I know we are getting piss water in our tanks, will mainly be a safety for me if/ when I get it setup.

More videos where we can see the tach ans odometer clearly please. I keep watching that video over and over :D

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stock 5efhe compression is 9.8:1, however, the 4ef/ 4efe piston dome is almost twice as tall.... My aim is to use oem parts to 'modify' mine. not sure how accurate my calculations were but it should be somewhere in the 10:62:1 compression range. cylinder pressure doesn't tell me much about compression ratio because my stock 4efe is 230/ 240 across each cyl and its 9.6:1 cr. so I'm not going by that. interesting info on the crank, I guess that would be cheaper than a full knife edge job, and would be a kind of engine insurance. Water injection would allow you to run ignition timing you wouldn't normally be able to on lower octane fuel, you could use this to push the boundaries and go for more power, or as a safety/ eco mode to run leaner mixtures without the temperature problem. Also our pumps are not labeled so for all I know we are getting piss water in our tanks, will mainly be a safety for me if/ when I get it setup.

More videos where we can see the tach ans odometer clearly please. I keep watching that video over and over :D

I wouldn't really think there is a need to run water injection in the UK, I would use BP Ultimate fuel, which is 99ron I think. I wonder why the 4e-fe was not labelled a 4e-fhe by toyota, as far as I am aware the 'h' stands for high compression.

that does go really well for a n/a,fooking well done.

Cheers man, finally going good!

Not much of an update, but I have finally clocked 1000 miles since the rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...

Another tiny update and a to do list!

Was coming home from a meet on Sunday night and disaster struck. Car just died on the motor way. Turned out to be the TPS.

Well a picture paints a thousand words.

WP_20131007_002_zps92e4da2a.jpg

On with the solution to the problem. As TPS are hard to come by, I had to make do with what I had. In the case a Triumph TPS. Did a bit of research on autodata (shown below) and modded it to suit.

Untitled_zpsa9e07260.png

WP_20131007_003_zps52fc57ab.jpg

WP_20131007_004_zps32a9c03e.jpg

It looks untidy, but it's doing the job for the time being.

Anyway onwards and upwards...

To Do List

Change oil and filter.

Wash engine bay.

Remove, polish & refit ITB's

Paint TB brackets

Purchase and weld AN fittings to rocker cover.

Strip and polish rocker cover.

Polish Fuel Rail

Polish Catch Tank

Polish distributor bracket

Fix sensor for aftermarket water temp gauge

Clean all silicone hoses with Autoglym

Tidy up ground wires

Purchase shiny bolts for engine bay

Tidy throttle cable

Begin wire tucking & tidying.

Repaint PAS pump

Remove unused brackets in engine bay

Remove charcoal filter

Repaint Gearbox

Paint radiator & expansion tank brackets

Clean & Paint bonnet catch

Paint battery stay

The above should keep me going for a while!

Awesome build! Don't know if I've missed it but did you ever RR it and get a figure?

Cheers dude. No, it hasn't been on a RR yet. Planning to get it setup properly then take it to the RR. This will be the first place it will be posted.

Cracked on with the to do list today.

Started tidying up the wires and tucking as best as possible. Not going to do a full tuck, I simply don't have the patience.

Tidied the fuel a vac lines up too.

Stripped an old rocker cover and began polishing. Will have it done by tomorrow night.

ITB's are coming off tomorrow to be polished. Got some stainless bolts to freshen up a few things.

Photos to follow.

Didn't do a thing today, apart from getting a new TPS.

But......

Saved an EP80 from the scrappers. It's not mine, so won't give too much away, but it's going to a fellow enthusiast. Picking it up tomorrow, fitting the front bumper then going on a bandit run with no mot or tax.

Edited by chrisgreen1993

Saved an EP80 from the scrappers. It's not mine, so won't give too much away, but it's going to a fellow enthusiast. Picking it up tomorrow, fitting the front bumper then going on a bandit run with no mot or tax.

LOL at the bandit run :thumbsup: Enjoy it haha!

• 3 weeks later...

Not much of an update, but seriously considering taking the ITB's off. Just started a new job in the city centre 9-5 and rush hour traffic is a load of toss TBH.

Got my rocked cover mirror polished, will add photos later.

Got some optional extra goodness is the pipeline too!

It cost the same to fuel the car give or take £20 as the train would cost me. I'd rather be sitting in my car rather than next to a sweaty stranger. I get free parking too, so it's not so bad.

I'm working on the Lisburn road, not too far from queens.