• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit behind with the updates, but anyway to show must (or not) go on.

Going back to last Saturday afternoon, I had just finished giving her a wash only to look down and see a rainbow...

Upon closed inspection & a bit of sniffing GEARBOX OIL.

No dramas, parked the car the car up ordered a nice seal kit from Toyota, Happy days...

Yeah right!

Went into work today, put the car up on the ramp to replace the drive shaft seals. Two fucking holes in the box & bell housing...

Edited by Chris Green

Something inside the box has wanted out, what that something is, I do not know. Car is driving 100%, minus the oil pishing out.

Box located, old box out tomorrow, new box in. Should be good to go for the all Ireland meet next weekend.

The box gremlin shall be found tomorrow.

Cheers Driftie

Jay and I put another box in yesterday, although there is no 5th gear. Something bigger / more comfortable has been on the cards for a while.

I think I'm just going to let the starlet fester away for a while, while I find the love to rebuild her.

• 4 weeks later...

Due to recently acquiring a new daily drive, the EP has unfortunately taken a back seat. I recently joined the LOC (Lexus owners Club), but it is definitely not the scene for me (£50 pens in the club store).

With not having to rely on the EP to get me to work and back, I can work on her at a leisurely pace. All being well, my full engine rebuild kit will be ordered up Monday week. All genuine pump, rings, seals, bearings & every nut & bolt in the engine bay WILL be replaced. Surprisingly this is only going to cost me around £200 which is definitely worth doing.

On top of that, the engine bay will be completely stripped back, smoothed and painted. Which color, I haven't decided yet, but the options have been narrowed down to:

1. Toyota 8K9 (standard colour)

2. House of Kolor metallic orange

3. House of Kolor midnight purple

As for the rest of the engine bay, the block & head will both be powder coated (heat resistant stuff) along with the gear box.

I have plans for more ITB's bigger, better and improved with some awesome velocity stacks. I will be running higher compression than before (0.5mm Head gasket) and also have one further trick up my sleave for more power and to run all of this, MS3.

Back to cosmetics again, I have a polished race spec rocker cover in the making. An aluminum full sized radiator will be purchased. I hope to have some custom metal fabrication done too, in the way of an expansion tank & PAS fluid tank. I have plans for both of these to utilise TOM's radiator caps I have. To finish of the engine bay, I will be running S/S fuel hoses and my current kit of silicone hoses will be cleaned up well.

I have no major plans for the interior at this stage, but I do have a set of TRD Defi gauges & controller on the way from the motherland. I have received a very good offer for these so, I can't make any promises that they will end up in this EP.

On to chassis & suspension. I plan the strip all the running gear down and replace any seals with OEM ones. The chassis itself will be cleaned & waxoiled for good measure. All the suspension bushing, included g/box & engine mounts will receive the polybush treatment. As for the fuel tank, axle, wishbones, ARB's etc will be bead blasted and powder coated.

ETA for this - 2nd week of August.

Lol @ the £50 pens.

Glad to see you're getting motivation back for the starlet.

Keep us all up to date with your progress! The plans look exciting.

P.s. enjoy the comfort of the long motorway runs in the lexus!

Yeah, the have golf accessories in there too matey.

I am looking forward to building her up again, I haven't really been up to much over these last weekends, so I need to be more productive.

Still hope you give in a turbo it. Been a while since we had a good sr turbo local

Can't see this one going turbo Phil, as much as I would want too, I can't stretch the funds far enough for a forged build.

Love this car very nice work good job mate:)

Cheers dude!