• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Boooo, bad weather ruined my plans and I also forgot to order some important gaskets earlier. I was sure I had everything covered, but no. Anyway gaskets should be here on monday from Toyota, so let's hope the next weekend will be better. :-)

Pics for people, because I got nothing else to do :sad:

This is for turning the boost down :-P

17.jpg?dl=0

Sandblasted JDM goodness, will be sprayed black soon. Anyone know the bottom bung thread size?

18.jpg?dl=0

CT9 ;-)

19.jpg?dl=0

Race spec

9.jpg?dl=0

Edited by JayJ

Ripping started yesterday and will continue today. I hate all the rusty bolts and nuts have to really fight to get them off :-D

Can you spot something odd??

21.jpg?dl=0

Yes,the complete turbo water line is missing, so WTF? This can't be good for the turbo? Any ideas how to solve this as I have only this part

Edited by JayJ

All the ripping done, this baby came out today. It looks like it has run without water line from the start.

There are two bolts/plugs(can be seen on previous pic) on thermostat housing, are these used for water lines normally? Maybe I'll source some suitable connectors, so I can run the new turbo with water or will it be safe to run without?

20.jpg?dl=0

23.jpg?dl=0

Enough for today

24.jpg?dl=0

Edited by JayJ

It's been a cold and rainy day, so I decided to spend it inside. Progress wasn't fully stopped anyway as I hammered (:D) new spark plug tube seals in the rocker cover, installed new water gaskets and bolted up the water pipes and actuator on the turbo. Idrees will also sort out the t-stat housing for me, so I don't have to go DIY with waterlines. :thumbsup:

Few pics of the manifold, in a bad shape eh? I believe this is a genuine JAM item, but feel free to correct :-)

27.jpg?dl=0

28.jpg?dl=0

So I went and bought a couple of different grinding stones and smoothed the collector area. Still isn't perfect, but better than it was and ready to go in.

29.jpg?dl=0

On Thursday bad luck continued as I was changing a distributor cap and a rotor arm and king lead's pin snapped inside the dizzy cap. I think bad lead was also the reason for random missfires on boost.

I couldn't find the right type of lead from anywhere on Friday, but luckily Whitestar still had his stock one and I bought it from him on yesterday for a case of beer. :-D

I don't have much more pictures of the different stages, because today is Mother's day and I really had to get the car ready. I didn't have much time, but managed to start the car at 22:15 yesterday evening. :yahoo:

Still have to sort a small boost leak and wire the new gauge and the sensors. Oh, and waiting my friend to bring back my JAM FMIC with new fixings! When these have been sorted, maybe it's time to get the car dynoed finally? ;-)

Edited by JayJ

Boost leak down and pull feels good, but need to adjust a bit more pressure! ;-) I bought some silicone hose yesterday for turbo water lines, but still waiting a t-stat housing to arrive, should be here anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The car is parked on a thight concrete ground and after the night there's a small oil spot on the ground, maybe 5cm in diameter directly under the crank pulley. Because ground is a very tight material I think 2-5 drips are enough to make that spot. So what you think as the leak is quite small, could it be crank shaft seal or oil pump leaking? I have also installed oil temp sensor to oil filter housing lately, but it should make the oil spot in a different place I think. :unknw:

It was the rocker cover leaking next to camshaft even I put it so carefully first time and this time I used a sealant, so it should be spot on now, but what a bastard! Also got a call from my friend, so I'm going to pick up my fmic tomorrow!

Let's go back in time to the end of last year when I bought mud flaps from CarbonGoodies. I really wanted to get the carbon ones, but Rick recommended Kaylan for winter use, as the carbon could easily snap on cold weather. Kaylan is the same material used in WRC cars. Package was well packed and arrived in two weeks.

Front set

30.jpg?dl=0

Rear set

31.jpg?dl=0

I received these in January and ended up installing only the front ones, as the time and weather was a big limit and I wasn't quite sure how the rear ones should be mounted.

Front flaps were easy to install as they are totally bolt on kit. Only problem was the length of the flaps as my car is lowered. I decided to cut ~1cm off, but in the end it wasn't enough though and every now and then they scrape on bumps and curves.

32.jpg?dl=0

As the weather got better I decided to mount the rear flaps too. It was a much more work than I expected as the flaps hadn't pre-drilled holes like front ones and some of bracket's holes were also too small for self-tapping screws.

One existing bolt is used to mount the bracket and then you fix it with three self tapping screws to a plastic inner arch. Flap is then mounted with three bolts and I can say it's quite hard to measure the fixing points, as the arch line is curvy and the room is limited and you want to get them straight. I made a small mistake with measure, so I had to drill one extra hole, but luckily you can't notice it as the holes are almost side by side.

33.jpg?dl=0

Rear flaps are hanging ~9cm from the ground.

34.jpg?dl=0

Some final words, front flaps went through the rough winter dragging roads and they are still spot on, just dirty. Rear ones have been on the car like one month and are like new, mainly because they won't get so much abuse if at all.

Even though the rear ones were a bit hard to get on I can only recommend these flaps. Really good durability, look and easy installation, you just need a bit of DIY and patience! :-)

Now go and fill in the order! ;-)

Edited by JayJ
  • 2 months later...

Progress has been kinda stopped as I have been lazy and problems keep appearing with the car, latest found was a hairline crack on the exhaust manifold. I hope a new mani will arrive this week, so I can get it changed asap as this is my last week on holiday.

I had also problems with fmic as the old hot pipe didn't fit after HKS actuator was installed, so this came finally today from Dean

37.jpg?dl=0

Edited by JayJ