Whos sold up and got an evo?

Just wondering if anyone on here has sold their GT/Glanza and bought an evo instead?

Obviously they're more expensive to run, but just wanted some real life comparisons from members who have owned both....or even lucky enough to own both??

What are running costs like compared to a starlet?

How easy are they to work on and maintain?

8)

That's what you'd expect for a bigger, heavier & powerful (more potential) car....

How long is a piece of string, if it's well looked after then it won't cost anything apart from fuel and usual bits to keep it tip top

Edited by Jamie5414

evo is an awesome car much better for tuning than a scoob. great gearbox can take way more than stock car produces.

but be ready for some hefty maintenance bills especially if anything breaks like the AYC for example.

i have driven an evo and a bugeye scoob and its just amazing after owning a td04 starlet to be honest - dont have to worry about the conditions just

plant it and it goes no messing about or lighting up the front tyres lol. only things that put me off buying these cars were the already mentioned

reasons in this thread - running costs etc

Edited by richglanzav

service intervals of 4500 miles for the evo 4 onwards, can seem like your constantly servicing them. But did love the two I had. The MLR is a really good forum for anything you would want to know.

Arent glanzas supposed to have similar servicing though? Every 4,000 or so

Not sure about that. But for the later evo's it's 4500 miles or 6 months. So i found myself servicing everything 6 months and with major services every 9000 it soon adds up.

Evos are pretty hard to work on if youre not very confident with tools and cars, whereas a starlet is piss easy and any cunt can have a go.

Clutch for example will set you back a good few hundred quid. Service parts alone are quite expensive if youre sticking to the proper schedule and doing them every 4.5K

My work used to be Mitsubishi and the quoted time for big services was like 5 hours at 120 quid an hour + parts lol.

My mate managed to find a full mistsi service checklist for his 6 and it was mental. Ran through it all when he got it though for piece of mind but even a basic fluid change will set you back £200 with all the diff and AYC fluids which he did every service.

Think he ran mid to high 20's (26-28mpg) and could just tip to the 30's on a run

Fantastic car though but be prepared to be skint whilst you own it! Haha

I had one a few yes ago parked up the glanza and drove the evo. If you have a decent paying job and want one ie say go for it. They are great fun to drive but as said things ain't cheap to repair and like to drink petrol mine was working out about 23 mpg.

I'm just glad I didn't sell the glanza

I had one a few yes ago parked up the glanza and drove the evo. If you have a decent paying job and want one ie say go for it. They are great fun to drive but as said things ain't cheap to repair and like to drink petrol mine was working out about 23 mpg.

I'm just glad I didn't sell the glanza

You need to be ready when leaving starlets to except a simple thing, nothing is as cheap to mod, run, insure, or maintain as a starlet in the jdm boosted tuner world! FACT! You need much deeper pockets when you go to the likes of evo's, scooby's or worse yet supra's, skyline's, gto's etc

Thanks for the heads up lads. Maybe I'll hang fire and stick up a couple of banks first before I break my GT and get one!

Can afford to insure an evo, but always heard horror stories about running costs etc.

Also get EVO 5 or a later model as older models have crank walk issues. AYC pump is a weak spot and costs a lot to replace, so better to check it's ok.

edit: evo 5

Edited by JayJ

Evo's are nice it's interesting to hear what people have to say about them.

I was in a 300+ Evo the other week. I don't know whether he was putting the pedal to the metal but, I dunno. Yeah they're fast. But they're big cars so it just doesn't feel as fast as it should.

Cracking cars though.

If it's anything like my m3 then the maintenance costs and fuel are pretty insane. I get 180 miles to £70 fuel and my standard replacement discs and pads for the front just cost me £520. Ticks over at 18mpg around town and that hurts lol

I sold up and got a wallet... Then I got another motocross bike now my walets full of moths.

I sold up and got a wallet (and a landrover)... Then I got another motocross bike now my walets full of moths.