5efte carbon clad submarine.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Jamboree came up last month so I decided to change it back to drag for a day. I made the the quarter finals but a worn 2nd gear synchro saw me knocked out. I got a shared light of the night with a 0.001 second reaction time.

eyNOqL.jpg

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB4I7aDU6-M&feature=youtu.be

Edited by -Harry-

Since Jamboree I've been busy converting the car back to circuit spec and working on some aero. Ill be out testing at Queenland raceway this saturday and again next wednesday night.

V8FRBs.jpg

iiC2vg.jpg

oLIACH.jpg

rBv37X.jpg

rJyD5G.jpg

nSpDLU.jpg

The splitter clips onto the under body brace and then 4 d zeus clips hold it on. I can stand on it so it should hold a significant amount of weight. Rear wing is a 2d 57" carbon item. If testing issuccessful, Ill duplicate it in carbon. Data logging should show how much speed I loose down the main straight with drag vrs any increase in corner speed.

Edited by -Harry-

Went out on fresh Tires yesterday. Taking it easy scrubbing them in saw the car go a second faster than previous PB. The car now has horrendous understeer. I think the increase in camber and stiffer front springs has stopped the car rolling over as well. The car felt extremley stable though. Pretty happy with the aero. Just needs a few more suspension tweeks. Unfortunately the dash decided to reject the 2gb memory card and not record anything. Updated the firmware and put in a new card. Should be fixed now

Zuboo had a steer in session 3 and knocked another second off the lap times, even with the extreme understeer. I came 5th outright for the day and Zuboo got 4th in the swift out of an 80 car field

oW3TrI.png

1st place Hairy lemon time attack evo and 3rd place s13 silvia. Zuboo stayed on their ass for 4 laps straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jy43n0Y_FU&feature=youtu.be

Tried to get these videos side by side but gave up after a while.

My best of 1.00.56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qNhr-FEytw&feature=youtu.be

Zuboo with a 0.59.32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkcXC3umxao&feature=youtu.be

The clutch gave up after session 3. Now has a serious vibration and wont disengage properly. I decided to bite the bullet and finally build the box properly while its out. We have just over a month until maximum attack meet

Edited by -Harry-
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Weather is almost always like this.

After Jap nats, I've rebuilt another gearbox + new seals and bearings. Got the clutch checked and master cylinder checked. Also had the clutch slave cylinder sleeved down one size to increase the throw on the clutch. Ive always had trouble with the clutch never fully disengaging and this seems to have solved it. Also finished the dive planes on the front splitter. Replaced the rubber trim on the air dam with aluminium which saved about 1.5kg and also allowed me to shave another 40mm off the lip while keeping the same size. Cannards are very solid and attached to the bumper. D Zues clips attach them to the new HDPE end plates. I really wanted to keep it easy to pull off and work on at the track. Just need to get some better looking fittings for the ends.

Next time attack meeting is on the 8th of November. Just need to block the rest of the holes in the bumper and it should be ready to go.

5_zps6e6c10bc.jpg

1_zpsd44af437.jpg

2_zps1d36b92c.jpg

3_zpsdd94fb01.jpg

4_zpsbab74601.jpg

• 2 months later...

Amazing! Your car sounds like something off of Gran Turismo :D

And I love those short interior GoPro shots. Very short, sweet and watchable.

Love the progress to this build, I like the fact you work hard at this goal. It looks like it pays off :D

Look forward to seeing more vids and snaps :D

• 10 months later...

It's been a full on year for sure. My Son was born January 21st so racing had to take a bit of a backseat. I focused on winning 1 sprint series for the year with 6 races. There's only 1 race left for the year and I've won 5/5. Here's whats been happening

New sideskirts finished. Lighter than stock and help channel air away from the front wheels.

11164697_814032808687871_599365291593489

11140157_814032822021203_289640877548861

11121515_814031502021335_573975086177769

11115907_814032908687861_241440298905236

Edited by -Harry-

A little video from April. Still sorting the setup out a little but was running smoothly. Clutch was getting hard to disengage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxh4Oz7lyTk

My efforts from June. New Springs had sagged as they settled in causing all sorts of issues. My driving was terrible all day. Car had big oversteer issues from the start of the day. Was dragging the splitter really bad down the straight so had to take it off. Removed the rear wing to balance it out. First flying lap, lost it at the apex of turn 1 and went sliding into the center of the track. Cracked the front bar in many places, ripped a cannard off and broke one of the mountings. Dropped the boost for the last session and ran the quickest and smoothest runs of the day. Pulling into the pits at the end the clutch failed to disengage and is now stuck on. rolleyes.gif

Here's a quick clip I threw together. Pretty bad driving in this session but 2nd quickest time with the last lap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Lc2sNJppU&feature=youtu.be

Round 3 open sprints on Saturday In July. I think I've got the car sorted now. Got fastest in class and fastest car outright with a 59.3 on the Clubman, and all on acutator pressure. Ben in the Mk1 Gti got 3rd outright and class win. Zuboo got 4th outright still chasing setup issues. Massive thanks to Ben, he watched me roll into the pits having delaminated my dunlop slicks and still offered to loan me his advans. Went nearly a second quicker on worn195 A050 semis (mediums) than the 220 soft dunlop slick. I was rather surprised.

In the lead up to this I removed the rear sway bar completely, reset shock dampers and lifted the front of the car 20mm. Also cut down the front splitter to only 100mm. I fixed my clutch issue and corner weighted the car. At jamboree 2 years ago it was 698kg. It is now 764kg. Bigger rims, tires, brakes, Aero, bracing, front section rollcage, along with headlights has added a combined 66kg sad.png The corner weights were pretty far off this time. Adjusting the height in the rear evened out the front. Still 68% front bias is not great. Also had a billet cover machined for the dizzy.

WeJttY.jpg

o7fiHA.jpg

I re-did my center console and added 2x new switches for 3 stage boost control. Also added a button on the wheel for a 2-step. Also got carried away with heat proofing my radiator and added a panel to the head. Doubt it will do much but all the time attack cars seem to be doing it rolleyes.gif

luDIrQ.jpg

K8Nehb.jpg

knlwgG.jpg

New 3" side exit exhaust and gold reflective heat shield.

dXRXHD.jpg

New 205-50-15 Yokies!

Ykf4FX.jpg

Trip to the dyno in August. Installed a 3 stage switch for boost selection and a 2-step rev limite + steering wheel button. 3-way switch on dash lets me selet what the button on the steering wheel does. It's either a 2-step rev limiter or an overboost button which reverts to the highest map.

Was interesting... Boost controller died, tps died, spark plugs died, clutch slipped, injectors maxed, turbo pretty much maxed.

dyno1.jpg

Last time on that dyno actuator plumbed directly to turbo it ran 184hp on 14psi and 242hp on 20psi. Im guessing it was a little low, it was on semislicks and also ran 11.1 @ 124mph on that tune

This time the boost controller blew a hole in it's side and oozed molten plastic out :s (yes it went through the floods in 2011). Tried to run actuator pressure through a new controller. Boost crept up to 18psi. It was extremely gradual and pretty much exactly what I wanted, just a little high hp (247 - Blue line). So that's with both boost switches off. Boost setting 1 we mimicked the last curve the best we could pulling boost per rpm. Same peak hp but meatier in the middle. The second setting I wanted everything. I left the wheel alignment in circuit spec because, well, i'm lazy, and it wheel spun. We strapped it down hard over the to of the hubs. Green line is 20psi/260hp. Red Line is 22psi/275hp where the clutch started slipping. The boost comes on late due to restricting to get the clutch to hold. My injectors were 95% duty at this point and with the clutch we decided to leave it there.

We set the 2 step up at 5000rpm. It makes 10psi almost instantly. I rarely drag race and don't have a clutch position sensor, wheel speed sensor ect, so we left launch control alone. The cool part is Matty wired up a three way switch between the steering wheel button and the autronic. So with the switch up the button activates the 2 step. When its down it operates as a 'push to pass' where regardless of which boost setting I'm on, It will switch to the full boost map while depressed. This is what we used on the dyno to get over that peak torque point before throwing 22psi into it. That's the 1000rpm lag in the curve.

I went out to willowbank last week for a play (slippery) and ran a 11.5 @ 120mph with the 20psi tune. Ran great all night and fairly consistent. I've thrown the extra 2psi in it for Jamboree. I guess I'll see on the day if the clutch holds (It also went for a swim in 2011).

Also tested our United E85. Came up 90% ethanol and 10% good looking petrol (Honey trickle). Tested some Caltex E80 and it came up 75% Ethanol and 25% Pink petrol.

11.jpg

Next up it went back to the Drags for Jamboree.

I got 3 qualifying runs in. an 11.4 and 2x 11.2's with a badly slipping clutch. I turned down the boost for Sunday eliminations to fix the clutch issues which worked. We ran Chicago shootout for eliminations. I won the first 2 rounds. Final round I was against Josh where he let me win but I still managed to screw it up and break out pulling another 11.2 on an 11.3 dial in all with less boost and a worse launch rolleyes.gif

You can hear the 2-step. It builds around 8-10psi quickly

Clutch slipping badly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2fpf2MYFwc

Final eliminations and return road.... I still dont get why it went this quick. Turned down to 260hp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj9FNH3yLhU

Outside view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgr0SlN7gv8

Edited by -Harry-

Last Month I headed out to the 5th round of open sprints with some new tires. Just so happened porshe had a club day on at the same time. Finished 2nd outright only to lose to a radical and 1st in class. Managed to turn 5 laps before a big end came knocking...

Results: A few shattered Porsche egos. Ben came in just behind me in the zuboo racing k20 swift.

http://racing.natsoft.com.au/637380663/object_995546.85I/Result?1

New 205-50-15 Yokies!

Ykf4FX.jpg

1x spun big end 3x severely worn big ends, 1x damaged crank, 4x marked pistons and bores and shredded oil pump as well.

VCjxFs.jpg

UPyBKN.jpg

I haven't been deterred. Trying to think of a way to progress in the future, I have bought a toyota paseo to keep me going in the mean time.

170 000km 5efe Auto

nvogMg.jpg

Bolt-ons baby!

rK7xbr.jpg

It's at the dyno now for a conservative tune. Should hopefully see me out the year of racing.

11 months of updates in an Hour!!!

Edited by -Harry-