180bhp glanza compareable performance

Lupo GTi engines do over 200bhp in N/a form. Fuckin crazy.

Starlet engines are not the best, theyre pretty good for the age though, remember its a late 80s design. Not exactly cutting age, dizzy setup, basic efi, no vvti etc.

And whats the issue, if you want you can take a 4E to over 400bhp.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A mate of mine is selling his 96 Glanza soon, its a very tidy straight car with a good few mods done too. Pm me if your interested and can send pics. Silver with carbon fibre body kit :)

The 4E is a brilliant engine it's practically a 21 year old design. New cars over the past few years are just on making small engine's with big capabilities.. the Japanese laugh at us their well ahead of the game. I can see why in the now it's not so brilliant comparing it to the modern state but how long did they want to take. It's not just the engine's it's the optional extra's even electric mirrors they were well over engineered for their time. Most jap cars were definitely built with performance in mind without a doubt look at the hyper revs a full catalog of ready parts the choice was there all these modern cars might be an odd spoiler. Not much hype at all it's all crap you don't need electric hand brakes can suck my balls..parking sensors fuck off 7 ecu's guaranteed to have one fault after 10,000 miles maybe I'm just getting old. Ha

Toyota designed with economy, practicality and everyday use in mind (rather than performance).

For the most part they did, but don't forget they made the "p-sport" often referred to as poverty spec.

These were made to give to racing teams to be thrashed around a track, albeit with some modifying

For the most part they did, but don't forget they made the "p-sport" often referred to as poverty spec.

These were made to give to racing teams to be thrashed around a track, albeit with some modifying

And TRD it catered for everyone that's what makes it so good there's something for everyone in one car it's only design fault imo is the rear beam stock intake ic position from a performance point of view

And TRD it catered for everyone that's what makes it so good there's something for everyone in one car it's only design fault imo is the rear beam stock intake ic position from a performance point of view

Rear beam definitely. I'd imagine it would be a lot better on track with independent hubs

Plus they did the off road version with the spare wheel mounted on the boot. Same shell used for performance racing and light off roading it's mad

Edited by SpikeyJp_68

Has anyone seen any proof that the p-spec was made for racing teams? Far more likely that it was just a cheaper lower spec model.

I used to think the same about small engines but I think the real reason is there has been no real need for small capacity engines. Hasn't really been desired over here. Thats until car tax went up, people started worrying more about emissions petrol prices through the roof. If there was a demand there would be alot more low capacity engines from that time. Only one of know of sold in The UK was the charade gtti which didnt sell that well at all. Think they may have done a couple of UK spec kei cars, but again didnt sell well

Has anyone seen any proof that the p-spec was made for racing teams? Far more likely that it was just a cheaper lower spec model.

I used to think the same about small engines but I think the real reason is there has been no real need for small capacity engines. Hasn't really been desired over here. Thats until car tax went up, people started worrying more about emissions petrol prices through the roof. If there was a demand there would be alot more low capacity engines from that time. Only one of know of sold in The UK was the charade gtti which didnt sell that well at all. Think they may have done a couple of UK spec kei cars, but again didnt sell well

come with oem lsd as standard. With no ac or abs?

Have you seen a none race spec car from japan that didn't come with ac

Thats more down to the p-sped being aimed at the snowy mountain areas. Don't need electric windows or a/c in the snow. Much more likely if aimed to race to not a standard gearbox in which a more race focused lsd to be put in. Happy to be proved wrong, but seems to be something fabricated by starlet owners

Is there a brochure for the P-spec that would usually tell you who its aimed at.

I thought the only starlet with a lsd stock was the advance, The rest were just optional?

As for the 4efte (4afe, 7afe 5sfe etc) being an eco engine thats a Wikipedia reference F is a narrow angle head used in toyotas eco engines. G being their performance head (4age, 2zzge, 2jzgte etc)

So it is generally true but strapping a turbo to a car in the 80s/90s was never going to be an eco engine the tech wasnt there like it is now.

Also toyotas head design is a bit backwards anyway most performance heads these days use a very narrow angle head K20, most race bikes, f1 engines.

The 4E is a brilliant engine it's practically a 21 year old design. New cars over the past few years are just on making small engine's with big capabilities.. the Japanese laugh at us their well ahead of the game. I can see why in the now it's not so brilliant comparing it to the modern state but how long did they want to take. It's not just the engine's it's the optional extra's even electric mirrors they were well over engineered for their time. Most jap cars were definitely built with performance in mind without a doubt look at the hyper revs a full catalog of ready parts the choice was there all these modern cars might be an odd spoiler. Not much hype at all it's all crap you don't need electric hand brakes can suck my balls..parking sensors fuck off 7 ecu's guaranteed to have one fault after 10,000 miles maybe I'm just getting old. Ha

its actually 28 years ago

You're both right aren't you?

I thought the 4E engine was the economy engines, and the 4A the more aggressive road race engine?

And yeah it's nice to hear what I've been thinking about the engine. Although sold mainly in the nineties, it was still designed with 80's tech, I read that the ECU has something like 16K of memory to deal with. To put that in todays terms a SHITTY computer from PC World woulds have something like 4000000k of memory. And yet they have some really clever tricks up their sleeves.

I had someone asking me whos car would be faster, mine or his A1 TFSI 1.4 180bhp. I was like really? You're comparing an 80's technology car with todays, of course I said Starlet as they have the weight factor on their side.

An A1 TFSI wouldn't be that quick mate, their 0-60 would be 7seconds+ which is more than it should be for a car of that size with that sort of power. Also these supercharged and turbo'd vag engines are horrible things to drive.

I think the DDG box in the A1 means they're pretty quick through the gears. Wouldn't mind having a go in one myself.

0-60 on them is 7 secs which isnt fast and thats best possible time.

Now an s1 thats a different kettle of fish. 2.0l turbo 4wd thats more like it.

if your 4efte blows up running anything less than 210bhp then its not been built and/or mapped properly. they are a little gem of an engine.

i do agree though that the b16 is just a beast when it comes to boosting and is technically superior to pretty much anything in its range except for a k20

the engine in my mk1 1.6 mx5 is supposed to be well built aswell for forced induction.

Edited by richglanzav