ID-Workz Yellow Demo Glanza

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well things haven't turned out so good, so I doubt I'll be at the MM dyno day or Japfest 2.

Starting from yesterday, started by having the wheel alignment done. The car felt much better to drive once that was sorted, with all the suspension components being new the tracking was way out before.

ec8344fe.jpg

086b46e6.jpg

Once that was sorted, me and my mate went down to RW Performance in Keighley to have the exhaust modified to sit nicely. It's a Fujitsubo Power Getter from one of my old EP82s, so the backbox brackets needed relocated to suit the EP91.

1e41b6ef.jpg

The business is run by Wortley who did a absolute top job on it. If anybody wants any top quality fabrication done, ie. exhausts/FMIC piping, I'd highly recommend RW.

9ac8c814.jpg

Sorted:

f1ec0d60.jpg

As the car was on a ramp, we took the opportunity to have a good look under the car, mainly checking for leaks etc.

eec8f480.jpg

We found:

OSF inner CV boot needs replacin

Turbo oil return slightly leaking from flange

Gearbox had a small leak from the big 24mm bolt where the box is usually drained from

Sump seal leaking due to poor 'instant gasket' used

Wortley also welded in the Bosch sensor for the AFR gauge, and we noticed how stupidly rich it was on the way home (gauge reading 10). I found that the LSD was dreadful to drive with too, I was pretty sure I read that the HUGE clunking could be reduced with better quality diff oil. So we had a few plans for when we got back to the garage, including the following:

Remove sump, inspect and reseal it

Oil and filter change

Gearbox oil change with 80w90 differential oil

Remove turbo oil return flange and reseal it

Of course we used a better gasket sealer this time (oil specific).

Sump off:

f2c29a93.jpg

A couple of hours later, all sorted and ready to go.

f2e32768.jpg

We drove it around town for around 15 miles before I got fed up with it and headed home. The idling issue was doing my head in along with some heavy oil burning. It was present since the first day, however I was expecting it to slowly clear up instead of getting worse.

Went back to the car today, had a look under it and all the oil leaks were sorted. On cold start it was idling at 1000rpm and sounded sweet, after driving it for 10 minutes it had reached 1600rpm and there was no way the revs were not coming down. No luck with the exhaust pouring smoke out either! It just seemed to be getting worse! And of course it was still running stupidly rich, so I parked it in the garage with no intention to drive it again anytime soon.

Even after the engine was turned off it was smoking! Exhaust full of burnt oil too!

73401faf.jpg

So today I was sick to death of it, not sure where I'm going with it yet. Some of you may have seen loads of the engine parts for sale, as I'm not willing to spend any more money on it out of my pocket. The car can pay for itself - ie. sell the mods and pay for repairs!

Earlier this evening

70583b13.jpg

Stripped

4c16ca00.jpg

Nice and clean

533989e3.jpg

Wet exhaust ports (2 and 4)

22a12995.jpg

Did a compression test earlier too, it read 110 across all 4 and 150 when I dropped some oil down the bores, so it might be the piston rings. Either that or the valves aren't seating correctly as I never had them lapped when building the engine last year. :) All part of the learning experience eh?!

Left it as that for now, head will come off tomorrow once I can get the two 10mm rounded cam cap bolts out.

gutted for you mate these cars are def sent to try our patience

hope you get it sorted mate you have come this far and produced one of the nicest glanza's is not the nicest and it would be a great shame to not see this completed by you

good luck fella

lewis

Cheers mate, it will be finished in some form but won't be as epic as it was supposed to be.

I've just removed the head and it looks like the rings aren't sealing right. Fit a new set of rings and get on with it, or use this as an opportunity to go 5E? I'll decide over the weekend!

df2782e3.jpg

oil down bores, if it gets better on the comp test, its defo rings matey, oil wudnt seal the valves any better im afraid! espically if u poured it down spark plug hole...

shame and a real bitch cus i wanted to see this and im sure every1 else did too!

dont break it too far, get it running a reliable setup on a stock fte maybe? td04? etc

and as for the lsd knocking. its exactly why my cusco one came off.. horrid to drive at slow speeds/round town, and no oil will fix it believe me. OEM LSD is the way forward iddy!

chin up mate!

is that the box i sold ya iddy ? i used the redline non lsd oil and added a friction modifier and it only ever knocked when i was goin really really slow round tight bends ? sad thing is i fucking miss that sound haha

sorry to see this man.

my advice is, sell off the epic engine parts, get the exterior as epic as u wanted it, and just curb the engine back to a tweaked standard item that should be a bit less tempermental, basically the approach i have had to take, tryin to ensure reliability over out-and-out grunt.

at least she would still turn every head on the street with her looks and exhaust note dude, and hopefully then she would give u improved reliability.

all the best buddy and keep us updated!

Phil.

Cheers guys, well we removed the block today and it was obvious to see that the piston rings were not sealing. Can't understand why, the rings are fitted and clocked correctly. We're a little confused at the minute! :rolleyes:

IMG_5779-1.jpg

IMG_5780.jpg

Tucked away to the side, not sure how it will be parked up so I'm going to Sorn it again.

IMG_5803.jpg

So now it's time to get this little beast on the road, we fitted a new engine a few months ago but now it's time to have the sills welded and get it MOT worthy:

IMG_5797.jpg

Cheers guys, well we removed the block today and it was obvious to see that the piston rings were not sealing. Can't understand why, the rings are fitted and clocked correctly. We're a little confused at the minute! :rolleyes:

So now it's time to get this little beast on the road, we fitted a new engine a few months ago but now it's time to have the sills welded and get it MOT worthy.

The cylinder honing doesn't look the best.

What oil did you run it in on?

Running 10's would certainly be washing the bores and won't have helped at all.

What ring gaps did you use? What piston to wall clearance?

The machine work was done by Drakes Engineering in Bradford, heard many good things about them to I used them. I used Halfords 10w40 mineral oil, then 15w40 with some Wynns 'stop smoke' additive.

I never measured the clearance - I just gave all the parts to the Engineers and they honed it accordingly. I used Wossner pistons 74.5mm which are pre-gapped, I was advised not to mess with the gap on the rings.

Such a shame the engine had to bugger up after all that hard work :D

PS sorry about the post in your for sale thread, I was just gutted :rolleyes: <3

A shame indeed, and there's no need to apologise, you didn't know what was going on then. :(

Pics not working for me mate :(

These cars are nightmares mate, going back to stock injectors today because mine is fuelling in the 10's on idle ;)

Hope you can get it sorted, seen your wanted thread for a 4efte, sounds like the best thing for now and try and get the forged lump sweet before swapping them over.

My photobucket bandwidth has exceeded so the pictures on this PB account won't show until the 24th of this month, seems I've been uploading too many pictures. ;)

I really don't know which way to go form here. I've been driving shitters since last April just because of this and I'm really tired of it, the weathers nice and I'd rather drive something better than my dads Micra! I've put most parts up for sale, might even start putting the interior and suspension parts up soon as I just want a nice car to drive and the Glanza won't be done until the end of next month either way.

Good idea for getting the injectors back in, I think mine got screwed due to borewash from over fuelling. I had the car started many times after the rebuild and it never smoked badly, only when I started driving it. Take a look at the video below for example, just a bit of condensation but it's not burning oil here.

Duuude just throw a stock motor in there and get it running... this car is your demo car... its supposed to represent your work. you make some shit hot kits and this car really shows what your work is all about. Sell the suspension and loose half the cars looks and it will be a massive fail!

the car is 99% done exterior wise, just paint up those last bits and you have a sorted car!! just remember your work isnt about engines its about providing some of the best kits available for the EP91/82's!

I personally would throw a stock motor in enjoy your awesome car drive it round and rep your awesome work and then on the side take your time and build up THE perfect motor to match the sweet ride. perfection cant be made over night... dont throw away your hard work.

... Rant over ;)

^^^^this, because its basically what i was gettin at. your business is the aesthetics. stock motor her, enjoy the boost that provides, but impress the shit outta people with the looks of her! thats what its all about man! the kits you have provided so many people with that were previously unobtainable.

Phil.