Rob_bower's 242 bhp SR - Refresh and fueling upgrades.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you could mate. No rush on those though ill prob use some tread on the speedlines a so ill just give those a quick coat to freshen them up then refurb the rays. I shall keep you in mind though like I said could do with a few bits painting once I get sorted.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea it's come along way tony and I'm trying.

I just have one issue to over come, the car has developed an over fuelling issue. It idles ok but when you rev it pops and I have black smoke. And when you try to drive the revs just die. I ran a diagnostic check and it highlighted 3 codes, 1) short/open circuit in map sensor 2) open/short circuit in coolant temp sensor 3) excessive boost pressure. Having checked all the wiring and plugs and the coolant temp sensor is new. I reset the ecu and now there are no codes present. But I still have the issues. My temp gauge doesn't work either not sure if its related or not.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys I'm really trying, really struggling for time what with the little man and work. I'm working the next 9 days straight. Thanks to dale and Craig for racking their brains, and no worries about the pulley dude if there is anything else just shout.

Right so a little update of today's over fueling and temp gauge fault finding, tried a different map sensor but still the same, so with the help of dale and Craig we worked few some more ideas still to no avail then we tried some different plugs. Which has massively improved the running but the revs still drop when your foots down bit if you ease it in it pulls away nicely. So hopefully some new plugs and it might be even better.

2nd issue was the temp gauge. The temp gauge runs off 2 different sensors on the pre facelift glanza's (which my loom is from) gt's and n/a's but on the late model engines they had the triangular 3 pin temp sensor which takes both readings. The issue being that the late engines don't have the hole for the seperate sensor. Ffs always something that makes the whole thing more difficult.

I WILL NOT BE BEATEN!

Kudos to you Rob for continuing to tackle the car with a new arrival in the family, lesser niggles on cars have made people break and sell up!

Edited by Amjad
  • 3 weeks later...

Not had much chance to work in this but I had Sunday all to myself as MrsB and George were off out for the day so myself, Ro55ifumi and socks attacked it for a few hours well over 20 man hours in total lol, so here is the progress,

First job was to re-seal the weeping sump a long and arduous job lying on your back scraping silicon off the bottom of the block. Cleaimg all the grease off and sealing it back up.

Whilst I was doing that John removed the rear beam ready for the glanza rear beam which I've had waiting to go on for a few years, that doesn't sound alot but when that involves removing a rear anti roll bar and changing handbrake cables which means removing the exhaust and some heat shields and swapping the flexes over to my ZEP braided lines its one hell of a task. While John was on that Matt wired in my apexi boost controller which was fun after the previous owner chopped the plugs off but Matt made light work off that. After that it was time for a bacon sandwich and a brew.

Once we were fed and watered we did a few more bits and bobs taping up the tempory bumper so it will pass the mot, some new plugs.

After John and Matt called it a day I fitted my new splitter and got the bumper mounted in place which looks mega.

7D77FF37-9596-4FE3-93E7-BF383E6A8590-345

Changed the front flexies to braided lines, fitted my cusco lower brace.

0FFFD662-8A35-4E2E-8B21-CF42DACB99D0-345

Wired in the late spec coolant temp sensor 3 pin not a 2 and 1 which now means my dash works.

1B2DA9EC-D3F4-4C04-8477-BC54B64C211B-345

Then today I nipped down to fill it up with fresh oil and give it a run, bled all the brakes with some fresh toyota 5.1 fluid too which seems loads better. Amy even took it down the drive to make sure its ok.

D2076819-C1A6-457C-9BA3-8391FF5CF830-345

Just need to do done tidying and all the legs bits: only for 2 more days off before japfest though and ones my birthday. Lol

The list keeps getting smaller. :-)

Rob

Cheers guys there's alot that'll need refining and touching up but its getting there.

Need one more day then hopefully it'll be back together. Just need to sort this hesitating and get it insured. Might phone round tomorrow and see what they say. Need another bumper to as I'm not happy with this one but its ok to get it back out and the gaffa tapes not a bad colour match. Lol

The clocks ticking!

10 days!