She's dead :(

Went to take her out today to go to tesco and she turned over and cut out straight away again, and now won't turn over at all. She's trying but just isn't getting anywhere. Deffo not battery. Luckily I'm off uni for three weeks so I have a bit of time to fix her.

:'(

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks. Hopefully you'll get her running again.

Thanks, me too :(

Gonna try and bump start it when I get home to make absolutely sure it's not battery but I'm worried that it's not. Like I said at least I'm off for a few weeks so I don't need to drive for a while.

thanks for all the kind words everyone, but it appears she was just throwing a bloody tantrum to try and stress me out!

Just got back home so decided to go out and try again and pump the throttle again see if I could entice some life into her, and make sure it wasn't battery by jump starting her... and after about 20 seconds holding the key over and 3000 throttle pumps, over she turns with a massive cloud of blue/white smoke out the back of her.

took her out for a drive and then checked all the essentials except oil which I'll do once she cools down, and she was grand.

no idea what is going on as earlier I did the exact same thing and got nothing, even trying to hold the key on for 30 seconds and pumping the throttle like mad. Then about an hour later she's right as rain again?

If anyone knows what could be causing this please let me know! I have a feeling it's related to whatever is making her revs go up and down when shes idling.

not that it really matters as we do have a new engine going in in 3/4 weeks but I'm really curious to know whats wrong!

Phewwwww.

This is a video of what happened in case it sounds familiar to anyone? This is it actually turning over but earlier I did the exact same thing, pump throttle etc, and it did nothing.

Is this a battery issue or engine??

Please ignore the weird angle as I had my phone in the slot in the door card hahaha so it's a pretty weird angle but if anyone knows what causes this please help.

https://vimeo.com/123634401

Not a coolant leak is it? I got a bit of water into the cylinders last week (not enough to hydrolock) and it wouldn't start for a while because the plugs were wet, had to leave it to dry out enough and then when she did start there was loadsa smoke as the last of the water sharted its way out.

Edit: Also if your coolant is low it'll confuse the solenoid in the ICV and mess with your idle revs.

Edited by FrozenJakalope

Not a coolant leak is it? I got a bit of water into the cylinders last week (not enough to hydrolock) and it wouldn't start for a while because the plugs were wet, had to leave it to dry out enough and then when she did start there was loadsa smoke as the last of the water sharted its way out.

Edit: Also if your coolant is low it'll confuse the solenoid in the ICV and mess with your idle revs.

Really? Wow hadn't even considered coolant leak... I'll check my coolant today and see if it's low or anything. Thanks!

When my battery was dead it made a clicking noise but when it was totally flat it didn't do anything

Yah that's why I didn't think it was battery cause my battery has died before but it was replaced recently and when it had died it hasn't even tried to turn over... Also it had no reason to die, she was sitting up for two days and nothing was left on! So I'm sure it was engjne related.

very interesting, went out and checked coolant. In the bottle it's half empty, but when I open the cap its sitting up at the top...

Also using a LOT of oil. We had it half full on thursday, since then I've driven once, for fifteen minutes yesterday, and it was at the E line at the bottom. I poured some more in to keep her going as I have to go somewhere tomorrow but I'm not convinced I'll make it haha. Plus 10w60 is quite hard to find but I'll go and see if I can get some in halfords tomorrow.

so this would make me think headgasket? but she isn't overheating..never has... could the headgasket just be cracked? What else would make her use water and oil like a bitch without overheating?

so confused...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3yub4eKsKkc

This my starlet a few years ago started to use oil literly loads.. then went out the next morning to go to work had a job to start then it started on three. Had to drive 30 miles on 3 cylinders slow as feck but made some massive pops and flames!! but drank fuel like anything.

No related to water in anyway but with using oil maybe you have a slight faliure in compression, you no done a test recently

Edited by GlanzaJim

Did a compression test a few months ago when it first started using oil and compression was fantastic! But might test that again to see if that's changed... I can't wait to get this engine out and see what's wrong

Head gasket would be my bet. Hope she stays together long enough for you to get the engines swapped, whatever it is :)

Yeah someone else told me his car's head gasket went with no warning signs like overheating etc, so I'm starting to think it must be that.

Worst case I can get insured on my mums or Joel's car as he's away during the week (even though I HATE driving it) but hopefully have the new engine in by end of April, and then can strip the shitboxy one down and find out what its issue is!

If its using that much, it must stink of burning oil?

I wouldn't judge your coolant to much on the overflow, its an expansion tank so will take and deposit it as it needs. If headgaskets gone you'd either get oilly water or creamy oil.

id almost take a stab and say oil rings, or on some bizarre case stem seals literally fallen apart and oil running down the intake and fowling the plugs.

If its using that much, it must stink of burning oil?

I wouldn't judge your coolant to much on the overflow, its an expansion tank so will take and deposit it as it needs. If headgaskets gone you'd either get oilly water or creamy oil.

id almost take a stab and say oil rings, or on some bizarre case stem seals literally fallen apart and oil running down the intake and fowling the plugs.

No smell of oil funnily enough. But it's not leaking I've checked the sump etc and it's not leaking, plus the blue smoke indicates it's burning oil.

Only smell is normal engine smell because I have a breather filter so I get smell from that of its revved a bit high.

I've never actually smelt the smoke but I would assume it smells of oil?

Yeah the coolant I'm not massively worried about but the amount of oil it's using is unbelievable right now.

yeah id say it would stink to follow you If youve blue smoke. You're clearly burning it whether it be rings or stem seals though.

I doubt it would be head gasket as i think the oilways are further out than the water jackets

I've no idea... I'm quite excited to get it out and stripped down and see if we can see what the issue is

Got a set of turbo rods and Pistons for £20 sorted. Now just need a gasket kit and the engine is ready to build!

Good thing too cause she's dying, tried to cut out today and revs were being a bitch, also lots and lots of blue smoke again

This is the Rev thing by the way, she falls waaay down to like 1-200 rpm after she's revved up.

Does this randomly, no real pattern to when. Sometimes when cold, sometimes after a while, sometimes won't do it all in a two hour drive.

Drives me NUTS. Anyone had similar issues???

https://vimeo.com/124253305

Edited by bdohohh