So shit of companies to do this to customer cars. I know stuff doesn't always go to plan, but fuck me half of the stuff you listen is just basic for a custom car company(s) to do.

Glad you have got it sorted now though Matt, must have been a massive pain in your bollocks.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like you bought an expensive paper weight like I did years ago!

The racetech inlets are utter shite. All the problems you listed I had and some more, was on my car for 3 months max and then sold it on to Spuddy which had ECC had to rework.

Just seems like he has never changed anything...

Threw my stock inlet back on and the car run a ton better. Unless your 400hp plus the stock inlet will win hands down.

Soooooooooooo, as most of you know I have had a few running problems with my car since she came back from TD so as soon as she came back from the body shop a date was booked for me to get her back up there and let the guys investigate as to what was going on. I had serious issues with the start, on some occasions 15 attempts at turning the key, the car kept cutting out when having the foot preesed down on the clutch for to long trying to change gear and the idle was so horrendously bad! going from 1000rpm-500rpm-1200rpm-300rpm-1000-rpm cut out! to put it politely she ran like a bag of shit.

Admittedly it has taken slightly longer than expected but the problem has finally been found and Mike has said she is now running as sweet as a nut :)

Work started after they came back from the nerburg and went over the car with a fine toothcomb. As far as they were concerened, it was nothing they had done there side and as a lot of the same parts had been fitted to other cars without problems, it started to point fingers in the direction of the other provided parts namely the Race-Tech built things.

Before I get in to what they found, I am going to list the problems I have found with parts in the short time I drove her before she went back.

Throttle body - A nut came loose causing the throttle body pulley to jam on full throttle as I was coming to a roundabout! was only informed after the event that I was apparently supposed to use locktite on the nut!?!

V-Band clamps - Was told he provided his own as all the others on the market where shit! the one joining the turbo to mani came off causing the 2 to come apart causing major stress on the exhaust system. Also don't sit around the whole flange, only half! I will try and get some pics up to explain it better.

V-Band flanges - Don't even sit flush, leaking black soot everywhere especially the externall wastegate flange!

TPS bracket - Doesn't sit the TPS properly sometimes causing a lumpy acceleration and in turn making me look like a major noob that cant really drive lol

Exhaust flange - Sitting right on the rear beam so almost nearly every bump I go over you can probably imagine what the noise is like!

Albeit small problems some will say but its the simple things like this that can ruin ones driving experience and after the money that was spent on the kit, I did expect a whole lot more!

Anyway, back to what TD found :)

As I said, they found nothing there side so looked else where. The first place to look was the inlet, this was taken off and sent to there machine shop for an inspection and pressure testing. It was found to have a defect on the flange in which a large chunk of metal was missing and along with flange not being level either it was thought this was the cause of my problems. So the defect was alloy welded and then the whole flange skimmed to make things flush with the head. The inlet was then sent back to TD, put back on my car and started............problems still there! Fucking cunt lol! I mentioned to MIke that I had one of his thermal intake gaskets so that was the next port of call. Inlet was whipped back off, gasket off and both the TD lads laughed, what the fuck is this? a poxy thin piece of shit that looked increasingly suspect with every second it was looked at. This was chucked away swiftly and replaced with one of TD's own thermal gaskets. inlet fitted, wired back up.............................key turned...............................car started first time! holy fuck! was taken for a test drive, cut out from depressing clutch - GONE! Bad idle - GONE! TPS issue - GONE! All of this stress for a shitty gasket, I couldn't believe it! I have already asked for my refund along with a couple of bungs for sensors that weren't done!

I am happy she is running right but extremely disappointed in the quality of the products I have recieved so far and to take the piss out of everyone else for there stuff is just ridiculous!

I am extremely wary of everything else I have with the Race-Tech logo and hope it doesn't continue to disappoint.

Hang on a minute. It sounds like all your errors could be avoided.

The intake was removed and pressure tested and a leak was found you say? Then it was put back on and the problem was still there? What made you/them look at the intake and NOT the gasket?

Our intake manifold gaskets are PTFE, which is the best material you can use. The perform better than all the harder cheaper thermo plastic gaskets we tested against. In both sealing and insulation. The downsiide is its hard for us to cut and isn't cheap. But we stick to it because its the best.

What you are saying here is the inlet was removed then refitted and the gasket was "laughed at" but only the second time around, why was it ever refitted?

Vbands on the external wastegate don't make the seal, the valve seat does. I've never actually seen a leak here. What was done to make it seal?

The Vband that came off? How did that happen? If it was tight? More to the point. How did you not notice it? The noise must have been horrendous.

The TPS doesn't sit in the bracket "sometimes" how can this happen? What TPS is being used?

Can you find a better turbo kit and intake for the Starlets?

It seems strange you have wanted to slag off us/our products for the last few months. Yet when we offered for you to look over it, it was declined.

I not jumping on the wagon but I will defend Ricky where it due I currently got a issue with the

Compo clutch he sells I had issues with it ie not fitting to my own flywheel and oem one Ricky reply to my pm and I sent it back for testing. What I kinder saying is no one is perfect everything made can have defects fact of life. I understand people get frustrated when things go wrong but it life you can't runing people down with faults yes we all say things in rage which can come across bad. I no I ramblerling but main thing is that it sorted

I think if you paying that amount of money and having these kind of problems it's pretty shocking tbh, if your engine fucked and couldn't afford the repair bills on top of other bills would you ring a company up saying ahh no worries mate people make mistakes it's fair do's . Part's should be sent back for a full refund, you can't afford those mistakes at those price's anyways seems like your sorted coming along really good :)

Edited by Gainzy

From what I have read we are talking about bolts coming loose and an intake manifold gasket thats is "faulty". Remember, we didn't tighten the bolts and i'll wait to receive the intake manifold gasket back to see what/if any issue is there.

Matt sent me a PM at the same time as posting on here asking for a refund on the gasket. To which i've replied and will if it is returned and is indeed faulty.

I think if you paying that amount of money and having these kind of problems it's pretty shocking tbh, if your engine fucked and couldn't afford the repair bills on top of other bills would you ring a company up saying ahh no worries mate people make mistakes it's fair do's . Part's should be sent back for a full refund, you can't afford those mistakes at those price's anyways seems like your sorted coming along really good :)

Gents

Please stay on topic, if any comments are derogatory and off topic i will remove them.

This is between Matt and Ricky

Regards

John

Agreed build threads are no place for other people to slap there argumentative comments all over it only ends up into into a war ground Edited by maddox710

Not good mate sadly I expect a tidal wave of the race-tech fanboys to jump on saying life's perfect. Race-tech stuff on the whole seems to be fine but anytime there's negative feedback it just seems to get pushed under the carpet.

Yeah I know bud, i'm not trying to cause trouble......... :angel:........just letting those know whats going on with my build and the parts that are involved

Real shame to hear buddy but least she's back running 110%, as you know my car is there so I will hold off on my thoughts until I see what sort of a job they do.

Looking forward to future updates fella

Yeah all is good thanks mate :thumbsup: indeed bud, we shall see the final outcome soon I hope :)

Holy shit, this could end in war.

On another note I don't think you can get better than a stay at TD! Good on the lads up there, they do some amazing work!

Don't mean to shit stir :p They do indeed do some awesome work, hence why I will keep going back :thumbsup:

Matt

Glad your all sorted and not going to defend anyone as there are horror stories from all builders.

John

Cheers John, there are indeed horror stories everywhere no doubt

that's fair bad..

:cray: lol

Shame to here this matt , But glad she is sorted out and 100% working again

I know bud, hopefully will get to enjoy her properly soon though :thumbsup:

This is very interesting like someone else mentioned everyone has there horror storries, i know its dissapponting but if the person/company who make the parts are willing to replace them then no harm

No foul i agree frustrating at the time but could always be worse !

Glad to hear she is running well again mate, one of my favourite v's on the site !

Yeah mate tell me about it, for the money it all cost and time in which it took I expected no slip ups lol and thanks for the compliment lol :thumbsup:

So shit of companies to do this to customer cars. I know stuff doesn't always go to plan, but fuck me half of the stuff you listen is just basic for a custom car company(s) to do.

Glad you have got it sorted now though Matt, must have been a massive pain in your bollocks.

Tis indeed just common sense surely? they are easily avoidable problems if a little more care was taken! Was a slight strain on the guys lol, especially with the £££ involved

Seems like you bought an expensive paper weight like I did years ago!

The racetech inlets are utter shite. All the problems you listed I had and some more, was on my car for 3 months max and then sold it on to Spuddy which had ECC had to rework.

Just seems like he has never changed anything...

Threw my stock inlet back on and the car run a ton better. Unless your 400hp plus the stock inlet will win hands down.

Sorry to hear this mate, I am yet to see really how she gets on but things like the lack of quality to the flange don't bode well.......

Things will possibly change in the future but at least I know now the inlet is spot on if I wanted to sell it on..............a lot of the want for the inlet came from a slight case of magpie syndrome lol!

The intake was removed and pressure tested and a leak was found you say? Then it was put back on and the problem was still there? What made you/them look at the intake and NOT the gasket?

Our intake manifold gaskets are PTFE, which is the best material you can use. The perform better than all the harder cheaper thermo plastic gaskets we tested against. In both sealing and insulation. The downsiide is its hard for us to cut and isn't cheap. But we stick to it because its the best.

What you are saying here is the inlet was removed then refitted and the gasket was "laughed at" but only the second time around, why was it ever refitted?

Vbands on the external wastegate don't make the seal, the valve seat does. I've never actually seen a leak here. What was done to make it seal?

The Vband that came off? How did that happen? If it was tight? More to the point. How did you not notice it? The noise must have been horrendous.

The TPS doesn't sit in the bracket "sometimes" how can this happen? What TPS is being used?

Can you find a better turbo kit and intake for the Starlets?

It seems strange you have wanted to slag off us/our products for the last few months. Yet when we offered for you to look over it, it was declined.

No no no, the inlet was taken off and found to have an un-even flange along with a chunk of metal missing, this obviously was then thought to be the cause of the problems. It was then sent to there machine shop to have the defect alloy welded and then the whole flange skimmed to make it level then pressure tested to make sure all was sound. Inlet was sent back put on and the problem was still there, I mentioned the gasket so a different one was tried and all my problems went away. Maybe it was originally the defects on the inlet flange that then caused faults with the gasket after the flange was sorted I don't know, but it was certainly one of your products.

Again, the gasket was left on the first time as it was thought the problem was with the inlet so at first didn't take to much of a look at it I guess...........

Not to sure on the wastegate flange as that was also taken off to be looked at so I assume they have now resealed it when refitting.

The clamp was tight, once re tightened the first time it again came loose, was also found to not sit tight around half of the flange.

I am using an auto TPS, how if its not set in a bracket is it fixed? because I remember having a conversation with you about it.

I am sure either Zisco or WEPR could make a turbo kit of and adequate quality and as I said, I am yet to properly test yours yet due to these running problems. With regards to the inlet, the TD one looks quite interesting :thumbsup:

I haven't declined any help, I have only really had a discussion with you about the exhaust flange with the other problems noted yet not much was said. If I had no problems with the products I would have nothing to say but good things however that is not the case. I assumed the kit I was getting was then best on the market hence the money I paid but silly mistakes keep unfortunately being found :unknw:

I not jumping on the wagon but I will defend Ricky where it due I currently got a issue with the

Compo clutch he sells I had issues with it ie not fitting to my own flywheel and oem one Ricky reply to my pm and I sent it back for testing. What I kinder saying is no one is perfect everything made can have defects fact of life. I understand people get frustrated when things go wrong but it life you can't runing people down with faults yes we all say things in rage which can come across bad. I no I ramblerling but main thing is that it sorted

Glad you are getting your problems sorted bud, I had no intention of just saying this to 'run people down' I had problems with my build/certain parts and that is all I have noted :thumbsup:

Here we go...

Lol

WE ARE ALL HUMAN AND WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES

THANKS FOR THE WELL EDUCATED REPLY, I AM WELL AWARE THAT HUMANS MAKE MISTAKES BUT IT APPEARS THEY HAPPEN MORE THAN ONCE...............

very true

but when bullshit comes in place,different matter.....

:thumbsup:

Exactly mate, glad you can see where I am coming from :thumbsup: things like this can seriously fuck up ones car

From what I have read we are talking about bolts coming loose and an intake manifold gasket thats is "faulty". Remember, we didn't tighten the bolts and i'll wait to receive the intake manifold gasket back to see what/if any issue is there.

Matt sent me a PM at the same time as posting on here asking for a refund on the gasket. To which i've replied and will if it is returned and is indeed faulty.

I am quite sure the guys at TD wouldn't have left any loose bolts anywhere :thumbsup: surely the fact my car now runs perfectly after the gasket is removed kind of proves it has a slight fault? what about the defects on the inlet flange? you have kind of skirted around that :cray:

Gents

Please stay on topic, if any comments are derogatory and off topic i will remove them.

This is between Matt and Ricky

Regards

John

Where there any comments removed? I haven't looked at this in a couple of days :thumbsup:

Agreed build threads are no place for other people to slap there argumentative comments all over it only ends up into into a war ground

all seems ok to me mate :) not sure if I missed anything though......

Sounds like an arranged fight lol, who's holding the sweepstake then?

Lol =@

Hello,

Right, so the issues that were causing the problem turned out to not fix it. It seems to me like the problem wasn't noticed to be the intake gasket until they realised it was one of ours? BOTH the cold start issue you had and idle issue are fixed in the map. The car no longer has an IACV so you wouldn't experiance "hunting" from a vacuum leak!

Please return the gasket, i'll inspect it and refund if there is an issue.

Your intake was covered under a warranty. If there were issues, why weren't they noticed upon fitting the first time around? Or the second time?

I'm sorry, but when investigating a vacuum leak, who doesn't inspect the gasket first? Come on?

You wrote "the TPS didn't sit in the bracket sometimes" I said, "how could it sometimes sit in the bracket", meaning; 'how does it sometimes not sit in the bracket?' It either does or it doesn't. It wasn't fitted, shimmed or bolted on by us, so i cannot comment. But we use the same item and don't have any issues.

We have another couple of topmount turbo kits here, Both have fairly bad shortfalls, but this isn't the place to discuss that.

You haven't asked me or told me about any of the issues. You just ranted off on here about how "bad" we are. For what, to me looks like a lot of instal issues or book passing.

I don't intend to post on here again. If you actual want help with anything give me a call or send me a PM.

No no no, the inlet was taken off and found to have an un-even flange along with a chunk of metal missing, this obviously was then thought to be the cause of the problems. It was then sent to there machine shop to have the defect alloy welded and then the whole flange skimmed to make it level then pressure tested to make sure all was sound. Inlet was sent back put on and the problem was still there, I mentioned the gasket so a different one was tried and all my problems went away. Maybe it was originally the defects on the inlet flange that then caused faults with the gasket after the flange was sorted I don't know, but it was certainly one of your products.

Again, the gasket was left on the first time as it was thought the problem was with the inlet so at first didn't take to much of a look at it I guess...........

Not to sure on the wastegate flange as that was also taken off to be looked at so I assume they have now resealed it when refitting.

The clamp was tight, once re tightened the first time it again came loose, was also found to not sit tight around half of the flange.

I am using an auto TPS, how if its not set in a bracket is it fixed? because I remember having a conversation with you about it.

I am sure either Zisco or WEPR could make a turbo kit of and adequate quality and as I said, I am yet to properly test yours yet due to these running problems. With regards to the inlet, the TD one looks quite interesting :thumbsup:

I haven't declined any help, I have only really had a discussion with you about the exhaust flange with the other problems noted yet not much was said. If I had no problems with the products I would have nothing to say but good things however that is not the case. I assumed the kit I was getting was then best on the market hence the money I paid but silly mistakes keep unfortunately being found :unknw:

It was found to have a defect on the flange in which a large chunk of metal was missing

to be fair if i took a part off and found "a large chunk of metal missing" i would suspect the flange and not the gasket is a fault.

and also PTFE is not the best material you can use by a large stretch, a phenolic is much more suited for the application *(and is widely used as a thermal barrier for automotive intake manifolds). PTFE (teflon) and nylon are often subsituted because its cheaper but they are not quite as stable at relativly elevated temperatures.

Edited by 59bhp

This is going slightly of topic, i'm not sure if mods want to remove but it might help some people.

I've no idea about the "large chunk of metal missing". The flange is alluminium, not the hardest of materials but it would take some force to do that. Remember the car was mapped once already, and I assume, didn't have an issue in this area. Therefore I am completely baffled how anything could affect the flange while it was still bolted to the car? Also if the flange wasn't flat, why didn't this cause an issue from the start? Why wasn't it noticed the first time it was mapped?

As for the gasket, actual yes phenolic material is used often, it is much cheaper than PTFE.

PTFE has a melting point of over 300 degrees (closer to 400 for the actual composition we use) It is a better insulator, it also doesn't required another secondary gasket to be used either side. Therefore I cannot see a single negative other than cost. Our gaskets are a similar price to people selling phonolic gaskets so therefore IMO they win in all area's. If anybody required we can make a phonolic gasket for approx 75% of the cost of our normal items.

Regards

Ricky

to be fair if i took a part off and found "a large chunk of metal missing" i would suspect the flange and not the gasket is a fault.

and also PTFE is not the best material you can use by a large stretch, a phenolic is much more suited for the application *(and is widely used as a thermal barrier for automotive intake manifolds). PTFE (teflon) and nylon are often subsituted because its cheaper but they are not quite as stable at relativly elevated temperatures.

Hello,

Right, so the issues that were causing the problem turned out to not fix it. It seems to me like the problem wasn't noticed to be the intake gasket until they realised it was one of ours? BOTH the cold start issue you had and idle issue are fixed in the map. The car no longer has an IACV so you wouldn't experiance "hunting" from a vacuum leak!

Please return the gasket, i'll inspect it and refund if there is an issue.

Your intake was covered under a warranty. If there were issues, why weren't they noticed upon fitting the first time around? Or the second time?

I'm sorry, but when investigating a vacuum leak, who doesn't inspect the gasket first? Come on?

You wrote "the TPS didn't sit in the bracket sometimes" I said, "how could it sometimes sit in the bracket", meaning; 'how does it sometimes not sit in the bracket?' It either does or it doesn't. It wasn't fitted, shimmed or bolted on by us, so i cannot comment. But we use the same item and don't have any issues.

We have another couple of topmount turbo kits here, Both have fairly bad shortfalls, but this isn't the place to discuss that.

You haven't asked me or told me about any of the issues. You just ranted off on here about how "bad" we are. For what, to me looks like a lot of instal issues or book passing.

I don't intend to post on here again. If you actual want help with anything give me a call or send me a PM.

Tell me about the book passing, it seems that any of my problems have been everyone else's fault but yours or the parts that I purchased from ones self :(

If Mike tells me that the gasket was the problem, then it was the problem :) the fact that it is one of your gaskets is nither here nor there, they aren't here to cause trouble for anyone and certainly wouldn't tar your name just for the sake of it, whats the point in that?

As said before, the gasket was due to be looked at but once the inlet was removed and the defects found it was thought that this was the issue :)

I never said the TPS sometimes does and sometimes doesn't sit in the bracket, I said that due to where the bracket for the TPS has been situated by yourselves, it isn't in the completely correct place so will be extremely hard to get the throttle position spot on as it would have been on the stock TB :)

I have also sent a couple of PM's regarding the problems but not a lot has been said!

If you prefere, we can keep the rest to PM's :) all the problems I hope have now been sorted but I am very disappointed so far in some of the products I have received! especially due to the amount of time you had my car.

My thoughts exactly bud, as I am sure it would have been the same with the guys at TD, but hey ho! next time I will ignore any defects on the flanges and just replace the gaskets lol

So now all these major issues are sorted out MattyD....

Does that mean your running proper boost now?

When we likely to see?! :)

Proper boost huh? I spose 1.4 bar on a GT28 is just peasant power at the moment :p I need to man up!

In all seriousness, I just want to have her back and enjoy it :thumbsup: but don't worry Mr Bridgett, 2 bar will be coming to a computer screen near you soon :D

Lovely motor keep up the good work dude

Thanks mate :) will hopefully be able to list a few changes soon :thumbsup:

Been a rough road it seems with the parts not being up to standard :-(

Sounds like progress is being made though in the right direction though and hopefully the fault can be determined and a refund if it is due to you.

Keep at it bud :-)

Yeah I know mate :cray: its quite disheartening really, due to the time and money that has gone in to her but as you say progress has been made and I have been assured she is purring away nicely now :thumbsup:

Edited by mattyD