Taggys EP70 Boxy, Forged TD04, 5E-FTE

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Operation rebuid here we go!

Bitten the bullet and started to get things in motion to get the car back on the road for Japfest (will be a miricale if i can pull it off).

So ANOTHER set of forged pistons arrived today from tuning developments

IMAG0284_zpsb6e0fc25.jpg

Here is the worst melted piston, i can give these then for the JAE trophies once i have finished with them, you can see they are royally fucked.

IMAG0286_zps2fe25a5b.jpg

Shiney new ones, this is what they should look like lol

IMAG0285_zpsf0657c85.jpg

I wasnt happy with the bores either, there are minor score marks in all 4 bores, nothing major you can feel but you can see them with the naked eye. Spoke to Wossner and i can hone .001" off the bores without going outside of spec, so for £30 it was dull not too, although i have to tow the car to them which is an arse!!

See the verticle lines where molten metal has been dragged up and down the bore, luckily they are only very minor and should hone out easy enough.

IMAG0276_zps10d963da.jpg

IMAG0277_zpsb12bc8dc.jpg

Lol while i was pissed off with the car, i also had an A-Frame made for my Rib lol

IMAG0273_zps5a4e5426.jpg

Gonna be wake boarding off the back of that bad boy come summer, yee ha!

I have been busy!!

Oh and i have booked to go back to tuningdevelopments for the 25th April,

Bing bang bosh!

Edited by Taggy

Easily have it done, we stripped my engine one night, and rebuilt it in another, including valve stem seals etc, We did finish at about 4 am though!

Did you ever find the cause of the problem Taggy?

Look forwards to seeing this again!

It looks like it was a timing problem by all accounts, right pain the butt that one!

I have just dropped the can with the engine still to have the bores honed and take 0.001" off, hoping to have the bores all cleaned up for the new pistons and rings.

Then its a mad dash to put it all back together by next Thursday for a lovely drive to Manchester!!

Loads to do and it doesnt help that I am working outside, so weather is a big factor!

Hoping to get the car back tomorrow, so i can start putting it back together on the weekend, then i can run the piston rings in just before i go up. :)b

Cheers Grant :) Well i picked the car up earlier, bores have come up better than expected with only taking a 0.001" off :) so well chuffed, so bores are all good to go for new pistons and rings.

I did start on it and manage to check the mains to ensure they were ok, but it was so windy outside loads of dust was getting thrown up and I didnt want to run the risk of getting tons of shit inside the engine, so finished up and will wait tomorrow.

So tomorrow i plan to gap all the piston rings, which is a pain in the ass as each piston has 4 rings and an oil ring, so 16 rings of measruing and gapping, a tedious task,

Although some how i am stil on target for next thursday, ideally i need it all back together by Sunday

Couple of beers i reckon are in order!!!

Long live the Ep70!

Edited by Taggy

Depending on how my Summer is looking I might sell my afternoon track pass at JF2

Ooo may take you up on that bad boy :) see how the car goes first.

Ok more updates on my progress,

Spent the afternoon gapping the piston rings, bloody tedious work i tell you, then fitted all the rings and pistons to rods etc in the living room :)

A familure site with starlet ownership my fuckin engine in bits!! busy gapping the rings :)

http://s422.photobucket.com/user/mctaggart999/media/IMAG0287_zpse9f11d34.jpg.html'>IMAG0287_zpse9f11d34.jpg

Finally finshed and have got all the new pistons on the rods with rings on, just need to fit them to the car now.

http://s422.photobucket.com/user/mctaggart999/media/IMAG0288_zps310902b4.jpg.html'>IMAG0288_zps310902b4.jpg

http://s422.photobucket.com/user/mctaggart999/media/IMAG0289_zps459a915d.jpg.html'>IMAG0289_zps459a915d.jpg

Still on target :) i find beer helps!!

I WILL NOT MISS JAE!!! :)