MK1 GT Snow Edition - Full respray finally

Well I'm back with another gt! A mk1 which happens to be a snow edition which I didn't even know existed. From a little research I've found that they came with snow tyres from factory along with yellow headlights, yellow fog lights, higher suspension and a stronger starting system although I've not looked at it yet to see what's special about it... in fact all I've had so far is a headache lol.

I bought the car off Dai on the forum. In all fairness he's a really really nice guy but the car is in a bit of a sorry state.

On my phone so can't do much yet but pictures and tales to be told when I get to my computer :).

Edited by aaddzz123
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can all be fixed and I knew it would be a project. I just didn't expect some of the stuff I found... Thanks char :)!

Right I'm still on my phone but bored so going to attempt to update haha. Sorry for any mistakes :p.

When I picked the car up there was a rattling noise coming from the cam belt area. Dai thought that it was just the cover comes loose and needed tightening up. I thought it was a bit strange when I pressed on it and nothing changed but decided to risk it anyway and drove home. When I got there the noise seemed to be worse. I knocked it off and decided to look in the morning and found this

IMG-20140614-WA0001_zpsvmhvuoij.jpg

There was loads of rubber and half the belt had been rubbing on something. I assumed that there was something in the case that it must have been catching on so started taking the rest off to find the problem. No worries seeing as the belt now needed replacing anyway. Found all the following.

Belt chewed up.

20140614_102230_zpsvoefzgj0.jpg

Found the belt wasn't even tight! I could pull it off with my fingers just after taking the top cover off... I took the bottom cover off and found the tensioner wasn't even tensioning at all but was tightened in that position.

20140614_102245_zpsctjh6x3r.jpg

20140614_124724_zpsykwpdalz.jpg

I can't believe that it made it home nearly 100 miles away but then I noticed that it had been on for about 5k miles like that! I honestly think the cam cover was stopping it flinging off from the slack.

So I went and got a new belt and started cleaning everything up to put it on.

20140614_160241_zpsqn5gwvvf.jpg

20140614_163913_zpsyymfgj4b.jpg

20140614_164425_zpsrsftxmcw.jpg

20140614_164454_zpsjf7xloqw.jpg

20140614_173425_zpsyiraimno.jpg

So £20 and a few hours later the new belt was on and the engine sounded a he'll of a lot better... I appreciate it was probably the only cam belt dai had ever done but I think this should be used as a good example for getting your work checked by someone else if you're not sure. It only cost me £20 and a few hour to fix but if it were someone without the knowledge it could have been hundreds of pounds of work at a garage providing it didn't snap on the way home.

Next headache happened today.

I was driving to alton towers today with the Mrs when I started getting a knocking noise on the back end. I initially thought the new wheel bearing isn't tight enough. Better pull over and check to make sure the nut for the bearing is on there and holding the wheel on... Got out to check only to find the wheel was about to fall off! None of the nuts were even tight. Bit shook up but laughed it off and went to get the spanner to tighten it back up butthere's no spanner in the car lol! So then had to sit and wait for the aa for 2 hours. Guy told me about how he restored a series 3 land rover to original showroom condition and offered it his son as a first car but he turned it down. Said he was heartbroken and i'm not surprised haha... Anyway!

20140615_110923_zpsk5x3njzz.jpg

The rest of the car just seems to be half tight and wobbly with missing nuts and bolts which I've been going around and replacing as I've found them. Think its just been a little rushed in the past and needs some good tlc.

Managed to give it a quick clean though and done a few miles home after the failed attempt to get to alton towers... Car has a long way to go to be up to standard but i can't wait to get cracking on with it :)

20140615_152641_RichtoneHDR_zpssbjkwtnf.

Edited by aaddzz123

The snow edition cars just have a beefer alternator thats about it tbh as the 4wd starlets are all snow based cars and of all the work i did on them its the only note able difference. Great to see you back in a starlet though adam and im sure you will sort it as you go but bit of a piss take to sell a car in that state tbh. Could of killed you if you where the turn up the music and worry about it tomorrow type.

Fair enough theres a few things wrong with it and it might not be up to your standards but its an old car and i know its a bit of a kick in the balls when you find out you have to spend more fixing other peoples problems/mistakes but at the end of the day it was sold as seen. Its down to you as the buyer to make sure your happy with what your buying. Slagging off the previous owner and txtng him to tell him what youve found now is rediculous, what exactly do you want him to do about it?

If i sold you a car and you contacted me complaining id ignore you aswell.

Fair enough theres a few things wrong with it and it might not be up to your standards but its an old car and i know its a bit of a kick in the balls when you find out you have to spend more fixing other peoples problems/mistakes but at the end of the day it was sold as seen. Its down to you as the buyer to make sure your happy with what your buying. Slagging off the previous owner and txtng him to tell him what youve found now is rediculous, what exactly do you want him to do about it?If i sold you a car and you contacted me complaining id ignore you aswell.

I'm not slagging him off. He's a nice guy but I'm saying people should check their work before selling it on, especially if they're not sure what they're doing. Tell me when you've gone to buy a car and checked the cam belt and made sure the wheel nuts were tight? I'm not one to moan. I believe you should check everything before you buy which is why I did as much as I could but I didn't take my tool box and dismantle the engine just like I'm sure no one else would. I text him as he would have known about the misfire when it'd warm, warped discs, wheel balancing etc and he failed to mention any of it which I'm a bit annoyed about. If I were him I'd at least apologise for forgetting to mention stuff that should have been mentioned in my opinion instead of just ignoring them. End of the day if the cam belt snapped and tangled in the engine it could have locked up and sent me off the road and if the wheel had come off it could have sent me off the road. Think I have the right to mention it instead of just accept it as my own fault

Hi everyone when I sold him the car it passed its MOT and then parked in the garage I am in no way ignoring Adam as the last text I received from him was about the cam belt to which I replied I only just found out about the wheel nuts now while reading about it in this thread which has put me in a shaken place that I thought I would never be in. I sold the car on the belief that it was in good working Order apart to what I listed in the for sale thread I put up. I had no intention on selling a car that I thought that wasn't safe so when it passed its mot that told me it was road worthy. I would like to pass from the bottom of my heart and soul an apology to Adam and his girlfriend who are the nicest bunch of people that reminded me that I truly love this forum because of the awesome people I've met along the way.

Edited by dai_starletN/A

Hi everyone when I sold him the car it passed its MOT and then parked in the garage I am in no way ignoring Adam as the last text I received from him was about the cam belt to which I replied I only just found out about the wheel nuts now while reading about it in this thread which has put me in a shaken place that I thought I would never be in. I sold the car on the belief that it was in good working Order apart to what I listed in the for sale thread I put up. I had no intention on selling a car that I thought that wasn't safe so when it passed its mot that told me it was road worthy. I would like to pass from the bottom of my heart and soul an apology to Adam and his girlfriend who are the nicest bunch of people that reminded me that I truly love this forum because of the awesome people I've met along the way.

Hiya matey. Reading it back my post might have been a bit harsh. Mistakes are made and things are missed. I think I'm just mainly shocked. I did send a text which went as a mms because it was a little long lol. When I get home I'll edit my post so it doesn't sound as bad mouthy towards you but going to keep it there just as it's part of the progress. And of course thanks for the apology. I appreciate it has a new mot and it would have still been missed by the mot tech. No hard feelings at all mate.

Happy to hear you have another mate, shame it's in such a state! You know where I am if you need anything/ my skills (not that I have many)

UKSO meet working on addzs new car???

Shame to hear about all the things wrong about it, but in fairness things can be missed. (Dad taking the GT to its MOT only to discover nearly all of the suspension bolts on the front drivers side were loose was one I personally remember!!)

Nice to see a Mk1 saved! Very eager to see what this turns into, with you at the helm I'm sure it'll be nothing short of brilliant. Hopefully there's no more surprises.

Bloody hell not good :/ looks like an alright car though but will obviously need a wee bit of tlc. Shame about your Alton towers trip lol :(

I was a bit annoyed haha! Was on the way to spend the day there with matt, Sam, Neil, charlotte and friends. Not seen them all for ages. Saw them after though but was too tired after sitting about all day lol :p.

Nice to see another mk1 being saved

I've got a funny feeling my mk1 maybe a snow edition aswell but not sure how to confirm this

Ill defo be following the progress of this love mk1's

As far as I'm aware the easiest way of telling would be a sticker on the back along with the headlights and fog lights having like yellow cups thst the bulbs sit in. The actual lights and bulbs are normal but they have these yellow inserts. I'll get some pictures later :).

Oh Dear!Not a good start to what should be an awesome car!I'm sure you'll make it a minter, like your old mk3 used to be!Keep up the hard work!

Thanks honkey ;).

The snow edition cars just have a beefer alternator thats about it tbh as the 4wd starlets are all snow based cars and of all the work i did on them its the only note able difference. Great to see you back in a starlet though adam and im sure you will sort it as you go but bit of a piss take to sell a car in that state tbh. Could of killed you if you where the turn up the music and worry about it tomorrow type.

I'm not sure buddy. I'd never heard of it to be honest but from what I read it does seem true. I'll go around it later and try get photos of the lights and measure the suspension to see if it's different to a standard gt. Lights are definitely yellow though haha :p... It got loud pretty quick. I was only 7 miles away and considered trying to get there but with how fast it got loud I thought it was going to come off. Funny enough it actually was :p.

It looks abit rough round the edges, but will soon come straight

I'm sure it will mate :). Like a bit of a challenge haha!

Happy to hear you have another mate, shame it's in such a state! You know where I am if you need anything/ my skills (not that I have many)

UKSO meet working on addzs new car???

Cheers dude :). It just feels a little unloved over recent years. Nothing some good scrubbing and a bit of paint work won't fix.

Good to see you again buddy :).. Saviour of a Mk1!... Shame about the bits and bobs that need doing on it. Bolts missing and that's horror of a cambelt job... I'm sure you will have it right soon enough.

You too dude! Sorry I wasn't very chatty, was really tired. Probably would have nodded off if it wasn't for the japspeed exhaust lol! Look forward to doing something properly eventually.

Shame to hear about all the things wrong about it, but in fairness things can be missed. (Dad taking the GT to its MOT only to discover nearly all of the suspension bolts on the front drivers side were loose was one I personally remember!!)

Nice to see a Mk1 saved! Very eager to see what this turns into, with you at the helm I'm sure it'll be nothing short of brilliant. Hopefully there's no more surprises.

Yeah we all make mistakes dude :). I was just annoyed at what could have happened if I didn't know anything and just ignored the noises. No one's fault and no hard feelings!... Haha! I'm not sure on brilliant but I hope to tidy it up :p:)

So your not quite as gay now then!! about bloody time!!

I can see what went wrong with the belt, the tensioner was moved back to put the belt on and not let off and the tension set by the look of that.

As you know I have a few bits and bobs knocking about if ya need anything!

All the best with it!

Cheeky fucker you are haha :p. I'm not sure what happened with the belt to be honest. There was loads of slack between the crank and cam gears too so timing was probably in and out. All fixed now either way.

Good to see you back in a starlet and onwards and upwards :)

John

Good to see you back in a GT Adam ;)

Thanks guys :).

Well ive be been working on the gt today to try and make it run properly and made some good progress.

The lag on the turbo was like driving with a td05. Took forever to spool and it turns out it was because the actuator had been adjusted so it was open all the time and then nut and bolted to the wastegate so that it couldn't move. I've shortened the bar so thst it's just closed and made a little bolt set up so that it can open and.close freely. Turbo spools instantly now! I forgot how fast ct9s spool :p.

Another problem I have is a misfire. At low rpm is misfires and under pressure it misfires. Seems to be when boosting over about 6 psi. I checked everything over and the plugs were a little loose so tightened them up and then cleaned up the terminals on the leads which made it a little better. Then I noticed thst the timing was retarded. Should have known seeing as it banged and popped on overrun. So put it back to roughly middle and it made a big difference but still have a misfire lol. The pops and bangs have gone too :(. Think I'm going to end up replacing the whole ignition system just to be sure and know it won't need doing again for a fair while.

Also fitted a lambda sensor as it didn't have one lol. I expect it helped a little but didn't really notice a great deal.

I've also been taking stuff out the bay that isn't being used. Got a nice collection of rubbish lol!

20140614_133619_zps1hcj2srb.jpg

20140616_192056_zpsmf6erlqo.jpg

Had a massive boost leak too which was down to the hot pipe missing a bolt so it wasn't sealed and also the dump valve fitting hose just wasn't a tight fit what so ever. So I've put 2 decent length bolts through to hold the hot pipe on tight now and also fitted a proper fitting pipe for the dump valve and it doesn't leak at all any more :)!

20140616_181022_zpscpa9rxr7.jpg

Shame they're both baileys lol.

Car is so much better to drive now but still need to sort out thst misfire. Will keep you all posted!

Ah yeah also the Rev gauge doesn't work properly. It kinda works but reads way too low and bounces a bit... Managed to get a little video on the way to socks before I did all the work to get some feedback. Got a feeling the actual gauge may need cleaning or something

th_20140616_142118_zpsn2qeezfb.jpg