★ Project 赤い脈動 EP 九一 ★ 14/06/12 - Interior and Exterior Update! ★

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Long Overdue Winter Update - 09/12/11

After the EP passed MOT I took her to Jays Garage for a nice winter service (Many thanks Jaystar!)

She received:

Coolant flush and changed to Toyota Red

New oil filter

Full oil change with Fuchs XTR 10w40

New fuel filter

Magnetic sump plug fitted

4 point drivers harness fitted

Turbo timer fixed and now working!

I also made a few visits to CCM for some tweaks on the TD04 setup including one to tune the new straight through 2.5" Race-Tech exhaust that I received a few weeks back.

It has a 4" slash cut tailpipe that doesn't look dissimilar to the Nurspec. The bungs are for both 02 sensor and wideband (once I buy one).

I will be using the bung in the decat pipe for an EGT sensor with the use of an adapter plug (EGT sensor is smaller thread than an O2).

The full 2.5" diameter should in theory help free things up in the mid-top end power delivery.

I will take some sound clips once I get the chance. The car has now since been mapped to suit the exhaust which should make a brave difference.

Am really pleased to be running a near full Race-tech setup. The WEPR fmic cannot be beat though :p

DSC_1334.jpg

DSC_1333.jpg

Because I work weekends Chris kindly took her to East Coast Customs for me today for a rolling road printout. Of course he would tune her for 1.2 bar and add some tweaks to improve performance throughout the map on his way up there. Legend! This is the same dyno both Spuddy's and Alan_E's cars have been on so I knew I could trust it to be accurate.

Chris phoned me with the results and knowing my luck the guys printer was busted so they have emailed Chris the dyno printouts which can be seen below.

He gave her two settings 0.7bar and 1.2 bar, however I immediately requested 1 bar be added back in for flexibility.

Here are the two dyno printouts for 0.7 bar and 1.2 bar respectively:

waz9732h.png

waz9732l.png

I will proudly add to the ultimate powerboard soon ;)

I'm really happy with the power figures and can't wait to get her back.

Chris did say she could have had an extra 10bhp but this was not to be with a degree of timing adjusted for safety which I totally agree with.

She is still running an n/a QUAIFE gearbox with TRD clutch cover and standard blueprint plate and both still going strong.

Options for next year are to fully forge her, go forged 5E or enjoy her in her standard TD04 form.

I do want the chassis to be tighter so I'm defo putting a lower arm bar on her again and will be on the prowl for a new roll cage (can't believe I sold the last one!)

Other stuff like race spec cover, new catch can, wideband, full set of gauges and tighter bucket seats are also on the wishlist.

Front bumper also needs a respray after all this hard road mapping and country living once Spring arrives.

Many thanks to Race-tech for the great service, advice and top quality product and to CCM for his time, effort and skills turning this EP into a beast.

Eagerly waiting to collect the car either this weekend or monday.

Now to just keep the car clean and out of the hedges this Winter ;)

More pics soon!

Joz

I really don't know Amjad and I will find out Monday ;)

When they say its all in the tune this could be the reason as well as a symphony of parts that work well together.

Full boost was 1.2 bar and the engine is pretty fresh after being rebuilt last year and was serviced only late last month.

It did have a touch of headwork (usual 3 angle valve cut etc but no polishing) during the rebuild and has been fully port matched.

Afaik this is certainly not the first time around or over 260bhp or more atf has been produced from a TD04L @1.2 bar/17.4 psi. Check here and looking at the leaderboard, most are forged.

I'd honestly say it is certainly a good benchmark for that pressure easily from an optimally healthy stock 4E engine, healthy turbo and decent setup.

The results are also from the latest road tune which Chris mapped by himself so I am yet to experience it as the previous map was still lacking so this will be quite exciting to see.

The car has been driven hard but always warmed up, cooled down, topped up and maintained.

For the performance I will be experiencing without going forged or running higher boost I am well happy :p

The scariest thing is there is more power in there with 1.2bar barely tickling the TD04 and different gearing may increase torque ;)

Joz

Cheers Joel bro ;) Man you are working too hard. Get some Zzzzz's.

I'm defo wanting a new set of rear n/a brake lines but in the new year if you can still make them please.

Was meant to get back to you, apologies ;)

Joz

i only take 2/3 hrs sleep a day during the week then on my mondays off i sleep for like 16 haha. got to much crap to do need to work to get this car of mine ready next year.

no worrys man just give me a shout and will make them up dont take 2 long to make just fiddly

Love reading your updates it makes reading that bit more interesting lol...Can i first of all say your attention to detail is awesome every part that has been put on looks like its been put on with pride! Hats off to ya mate keep up the good work ;)

Cheers Joel bro ;) Man you are working too hard. Get some Zzzzz's.

I'm defo wanting a new set of rear n/a brake lines but in the new year if you can still make them please.

Was meant to get back to you, apologies ;)

Joz

Screaming out for a Rear Beam Conversion :p

John

I really don't know Amjad and I will find out Monday ;)

When they say its all in the tune this could be the reason as well as a symphony of parts that work well together.

Full boost was 1.2 bar and the engine is pretty fresh after being rebuilt last year and was serviced only late last month.

It did have a touch of headwork (usual 3 angle valve cut etc but no polishing) during the rebuild and has been fully port matched.

Afaik this is certainly not the first time around or over 260bhp or more atf has been produced from a TD04L @1.2 bar/17.4 psi. Check here and looking at the leaderboard, most are forged.

I'd honestly say it is certainly a good benchmark for that pressure easily from an optimally healthy stock 4E engine, healthy turbo and decent setup.

The results are also from the latest road tune which Chris mapped by himself so I am yet to experience it as the previous map was still lacking so this will be quite exciting to see.

The car has been driven hard but always warmed up, cooled down, topped up and maintained.

For the performance I will be experiencing without going forged or running higher boost I am well happy ;)

The scariest thing is there is more power in there with 1.2bar barely tickling the TD04 and different gearing may increase torque :p

Joz

Ah so was the peak power figure at 1.2 bar? If so how much did it make at a bar?

Very interesting, 230-250bhp is my eventual target in the GT, just trying to get everything else up to scratch before hunting more power!

I was wondering what to do about my exhaust (Japspeed). It goes from 2.25" front to 2.5" centre to 3" rear. Was thinking of getting the front modified to 2.5" or all to just 3" and maybe take the silencer out too but wasn't sure on the noise levels. Plus you've managed a healthy figure on just 2.5"! You'll have to let us know how it sounds, noise levels and maybe a vid eh? :p

Love it man

Having run a similar sort of power figure previously i do know you will love it ! i never had an LSD though so you may have to fight abit more then mine did, spinning one wheel up .... in the dry .... in 3rd .... oh i miss my starlet ;)

Thanks again for the kind comments and support gents :) I really appreciate it and glad that people like reading the updates!

The results are more than I had hoped for and are a real bonus after all the man hours and star tokens that have gone into this project.

The hardest thing now is to resist the temptation to delve any further into the dark abyss that is power hunger and additional boost pressure...

@Amjad - There are so many different exhaust theories after doing much reading but you can now see for yourself you don't need 3" piping all round for a good power curve.

The biggest headache if anything is ensuring your new td04 downpipe flange will fit your existing japspeed front section flange.

When we fitted the racetech dp to the hks it was bigger (2.5" vs 2.36") and the holes hardly lined up.

To combat this as a temp measure (as I was awaiting the new race-tech exhaust) we drilled the holes bigger in the hks flange and it just about bolted up.

The hks served me well when ct9 but it has now been dumped (started to blow/rot and the backbox snapped/temp rewelded)

It wasn't too bad on the TD04 but it felt like there was still some restriction (with smaller diameter piping and centrebox and tired backbox) and some more power was waiting to be unleashed.

An overly large exhaust diameter will change the characteristics of your performance (less town driving torque but more in the mid to high rev range = motorway monster)

With the straight through system all restrictions are removed, with the biggest remaining restriction the turbo itself.

I got a lot advice from Ricky@Race-tech, the most useful being the less restriction after the turbo the better.

This is what I found when I first fitted the new exhaust where I only felt the biggest power push at triple figures but before the dyno Chris ensured me he had improved the low end which I will find out tomorrow.

The 1.3 wasn't designed for massive torque figures unless at a really high boost level which some have achieved. Off boost driveability is very important to me hence I made sure Chris mapped the car to suit the new exhaust. If you just bolt it on or half-map it (just touch the fueling and not the timing) you may have a sluggish car not reaching its potential on your hands.

It is because Chris road mapped it twice (once on wed/thurs and then on the way to the dyno on Friday and possibly some tweaks on the dyno itself) that she got her amazing results which even some larger engined cars struggle to make.

My previous visits were just fuel runs but the beauty it seems is all in the different timing adjustments which can be made that can make a car into a beast or a so-so.

I believe 3" all the way will be overkill and unless you need it, it will be more noisy and gains hardly there. Everyone says bigger is better but there is also a happy medium that works

(very well unless you are running a monster turbo/forged lump and 1.5cc).

Its a shame you can't have everything i.e a high horse power ep with amazing low end off boost torque.

Now that my car has its peak torque and power at highish rpm it is more suited to racing which is where I will see the gains.

The dyno readout is an awesome indicator for the best shift points etc, exciting stuff for me anyway. With the smooth curve I am sure other driving aspects will be just as good.

Seeing as you have the japspeed I'd certainly use it/adapt it to see what results you get from it surely before you invest in a new system if its even needed.

I will take a variety of vids when the roads are better and I have a decent cam.

Last thing is we never got a power reading at 1 bar unfortunately but its very safe to say that it would have been in between the 0.7 and 1.2 reading.

Don't worry the dyno will be revisited.

Hope this all helps bro :p

Joz

Had a good look at this yesterday was pretty much beside it for 6 hours tbh lol. A top job done to it by all parties involved its a cracking wee car dude you should be proud of it your a hard man to please I'm told. I think your going to have a smile like you have a coat hanger in your mouth when you give it some driving on full boost.