• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Ya'll. Needed to step up the game, too many clones :p Prolly give it 5 years and everyone will have done this too lol!

Getting excited after today! More on this below...

What sort of power you aiming for to start ?

as above what power you hoping?

What sort of power you going for?

The engine is going in, in stock form first, be it with a different sump pan. Going to aim to run it around 300bhp. Safe & Sound Setup to test the car, make sure its all good. Then if all goes well and the car feels/drives nice, I'll build an engine. Then it really is a case of how much power do you want. The aim is around 600bhp+ on full boost. The challenge will be to make as much of that as useable as possible. If its only useable at 450bhp. So be it, at least it will be reliable!

What turbo are you planning on running on it?

I'll most likely be using a modified version of the Precision 5858 all being well.

You going for the turbo over the gearbox like the honda boys do?

Yeh man. Sidewinder Manifold is the only way of doing it. There is simply no room in the EP91 bay to fit a decent sized turbo behind the engine. Should work well though, Im sure Jamie @ Race-Tech will do a stunning job as always with the manifold. Looking forward to seeing it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, today was the first day of engine mounting fabrication! Sterling job by all, especially Ben for his hard work! All the old engine mounts and the battery tray were completely removed this morning, to make space for the new mounts! The engine, is actually very tall in its dimensions. So it was important the engine didn't hit the bonnet, but also didn't give me about 1 inch of ground clearance!

We looked back through woodsport's 2zzge conversion pictures. Placed the engine where they had it. Was actually quite shocked. That EP82 must of had no ground clearance at all! So after modifying an MR2 Master Cylinder to fit, removing the spring loaded ancillary belt tensioner, there was plenty of space in terms of depth. We then fitted my bonnet and eyed up the clearance up top to give me as close to standard ground clearance we could. All while trying to keep driveshaft angles as straight as possible!

Ontop of that, due to the gearbox conversion plate and using a much fatter gearbox. The passenger side chassis leg was hugely notched to suit. This was quite alarming, seeing such a huge chunk of the chassis leg completely gone. Good news is, even with my 15x6.5 ET37 Ultralite G-Spec Alloys. I can get full steering lock :D

Bonnet/Engine Clearance

post-2707-0-73345000-1412272686_thumb.jp

At the end of the day. Both the drivers & passengers side mountings were mocked up and the engine was swinging on them. Perfect!

post-2707-0-82297800-1412274397_thumb.jp

So tomorrow there going to crack on with rear lower engine mount, to allow the engine to sit in place unsupported! :) But its in!!!!

Also, tested a full size starlet radiator back into the front of the car.

post-2707-0-81679500-1412274647_thumb.jp

Looks like an alloy version will be ordered then! Plenty of space for nice big boost pipes on both sides!

More to come Folks!

Thanks All!

All that work stripping the car down and you leave brand new headlights in to get scraped and scratched , shame on you buddy haha

lol, The car wasn't stripped for panel protection. The bumper and wings are getting painted. The bonnet and lights are still there...

Well, the mounts are now all finished. Leaving just the chassis legs to finish welding up!

We were going to use all four mountings, like on the corolla. But when using a Polybushed Starlet OEM LSD Rear Mount, even with standard corolla side mounts its really firm! We can always add Polybushes to the corolla side mounts, or a forth mount to the front of the car at a later date. We will see how it flexes on the Dyno on a pull.

Now the engine is mounted, can start to tackle the rest of the gubbins!

Gear Linkages on the MR2 Gearbox are at the front of the box (looking from the front of the glanza) as in an MR2 the engine and box are in the back of the car.

post-2707-0-58319000-1412357366_thumb.jp

So managed to get my hands on some gearbox linkages off another Toyota that should hopefully allow us to use either Stock or Modified Stock Selector Cables!

As for the drivetrain. I want this to be 600bhp proof. I don't want to be repairing gearboxes, driveshafts or anything. The only part I want to be replacing is tyres! My plan is to use MR2 Turbo Inner CV's, Custom Shafts that will then mate up to a Starlet Outer CV Joint. Now, those in the know, will know the weak point of starlet driveshaft's is the outer CV! So after talking with Tad from 'Drive Shaft Shop' in the USA, about these:

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-axles/toyota/toyota-starlet-90-96-ep82-96-99-ep91-600hp-axle-hub-kit

He agreed to send me over, just the outer CV's with custom hubs. Which he claims will cope with 600bhp all day long.

post-2707-0-24631800-1412357635.jpg

So these huge things should be here next week all being well! With ARP fitting hardware!

Its all good fun! More updates next week!

As firm as it might seem id add the 4th mount now. Mine seems ok until its on the dyno then it moves loads. Plus if the rolla uses 4 standard what would they be like with the added torque going through them?

If it were me id do it now then you wont have to grind the paint away again messing everything up after its all finished :)

Other than that impressive stuff. Any chance of some pics of the mounts I'd just like to see how its done compared to mine?

Thanks Chaps!

As firm as it might seem id add the 4th mount now. Mine seems ok until its on the dyno then it moves loads. Plus if the rolla uses 4 standard what would they be like with the added torque going through them?

True. But the stock corolla rear mount is nothing like the huge solid Poly Bush that I have on the glanza... The engine is a fair distance from the front chassis bar, so its going to need some serious triangulation to have any effect. Which is not simple and a waste of time if not required! We shall see how it goes, its not too difficult to add a 4th mount at a later date :)

Well, the chassis leg and engine mounts of being finished off, in terms of welding. In the mean time some things needed freshening up....

Block got cleaned & painted...

post-2707-0-20788300-1412608244_thumb.jp

Then the gearbox..,

post-2707-0-99465000-1412608411_thumb.jp

Then the lightweight flywheel and clutch was fitted to the block...

post-2707-0-81209100-1412608445_thumb.jp

The firewall is currently having brackets, holes & fittings removed that are no longer required. Once this is done and the mounts and chassis leg are completely finished. The engine and box will be going back in the car and staying there! :D

More to come this week folks!