• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers mate.

It's been a busy weekend, had a feature and photoshoot on Saturday afternoon. Pictures will be up soon I guess, and also a video.

I had to do an interview for the video, and here are the questions and my answers.

Q1: How long has the vehicle been owned by you?

I've owned the car for about 13 months now, not entirely long.

Q2: How and from where was the vehicle sourced (new, used, imported)?

The car was imported in 2006.

Q3: What were the performance levels of the car pre-modification (bhp, torque, 0-60mph etc)

The bhp from factory is 115bhp on the low boost setting and 133bhp on the high boost setting.
Torque figures from factory are 116 ft-lbs.
0-60 is a nippy 6.8 seconds.

Q4: What were the main goals of the project (i.e., track day work, outright power, better handling, styling mods etc)?

At first I wasn't too sure. I didn't know too much about them at the time, so I joined a forum and started to gain info and took it from there. My first thoughts were to just make it clean and presentable with no intensions of having the modifications that are on it now. Over the past year I've just taken it as it comes.

Q5: Which tuning companies were used to carry out these planned modifications? Or did you do the work yourself?

Everything you see on the car has been done by myself, learning as I went along. The only time I've used a garage has been to get the clutch replaced and upgraded.

Q6: What specific parts were used, how did these improve performance and which suppliers were approached to supply these products, either by the tuning company or yourself?

The main thing was the turbo. It started off with the OEM CT9 turbo until the oil seals went. So I took the chance, and upgraded to a TD04 turbo from a Subaru. Ran it for a while, all was good. A TD04/TD05 hybrid turbo popped up on the forum, it was ported and polished and fully opened up inside. I thought why not, so I did a deal and got it. The TD0 turbo's are a BIG jump from the standard CT9. The new hybrid turbo was re-built by a company called Scooby-Tech (or similar).

Since I got the car a hell of a lot has changed. A great deal of performance parts have been used. No budget parts have been bought what so ever.

Q7: What are the performance levels of the car currently (bhp, torque, 0-60mph etc)?

Bhp - 225bhp at just under 1bar of boost.
Torque - Around 185, not masses, but with the turbo it pulls along nicely.
0 - 60 - Untested.

Q8: Will the vehicle and yourself be attending any shows, club meets, events in 2013?

Already done JapFest part 1, which was a lot of fun! I'll be at all of the South Mimms events. Perhaps JAE, we'll see.

Q9: Who would you like to thank for their help/work on the car (please include contact and web details for any importer/motor dealer/tuner/part supplier used)?

Throughout the build there has been SO much good help, from friends, family, tuners, and companies supplying parts.

Firstly i'd like to thank all of my friends for helping me spend their own time on my car. Also for lifts to places to collect parts, i'm sure there will be many more though.

Iddy at ID-WORKZ for supplying a lot of service parts and for the awesome delivery.

Dean at RW-DEVELOPMENTS for supplying insanely cool custom parts.

Hayes-Dynotech for tuning the car on the rolling road and helping me out with a number of things.

http://www.id-workz.co.uk/
http://www.ukstarletowners.com/forum/278-rw-developments/
http://www.hayesdynotech.co.uk/

And of course i'd thank our Lord Jesus Christ for blessing us with turbo's.

Q10: In what way, if any, has your car inspired you? Is there anything you feel would add to the emotional concept of the article? (e.g. Your feelings towards driving it, the process of the build etc)?

There's been many times I've thought of throwing in the towel so to speak, and just quitting it all and selling up. Of course that's when things aren't running right, and you just think - What's the point? But as soon as you get it sorted and get back in the driving seat, the feeling is unreal. It's just un-describable. To say it puts a smile on your face is an understatement for sure.

Q11: What inspired you to purchase the Car?

A friend used to own a Glanza, and I asked to drive it just round a carpark. It was only standard except for an exhaust pretty much, but I loved everything about it. I literally fell in love with it, everyone could tell. I told my self I HAD to get one, so after a few more test drives I got one.

ATTACHMENTS – PLEASE ALSO SUPPLY THE FOLLOWING:

A FULL specification list beginning with performance levels (bhp, torque 0-60mph etc) followed by (Engine; Transmission & Clutch; Bodywork; Interior; Suspension; Brakes) by brand name.

Spec: Toyota Glanza V.

Bhp: 225bhp @ just under 1bar.

Torque: Unsure.

0-60: Unsure.

Top speed: Too much for what it is, like 160mph or something ridiculous. Trust me.

All modifications: As below.

ENGINE.

4EFTE engine.
TD04/TD05 hybrid turbo from Subaru's.
Race-Tech oil feed line.
Custom externally wastegated manifold.
Custom front exit exhaust.
Silver Tial 38mm wastegate with 0.8bar spring.
10.8mm CJ performance HT leads.
NGK Iridium sparkplugs.
Honda Civic duel core ally radiator.
Slim line fan.
Oil catch can.
BLITZ FMIC.
AFPR.
255 fuel pump.
Gizzmo boost controller.
OEM spec oil filter.
Cusco BMCS.
Tuning developments throttle body pulley.
Fibreglass bonnet.
Bonnet pins.
Removed power steering.
Removed air con.

TRANSMITION & CLUTCH.

Starlet GT gearbox for a longer 3rd and 4th gear.
Fast Road clutch.

BODYWORK.

Livesport front lip.
Custom front splitter from 12mm marine ply.
Carbon mods front splitter rods.
OEM side skirts.
OEM rear lip.
OEM duckbill mid spoiler.
De-wipered. rear windscreen.
Spaced front fenders.
98 spec rear tail lights.

INTERIOR.

Not much interior actually left in the car, so i'll say the stuff that has been removed also.

No rear seats.
No carpet.
No sound deadening.
No glove box.
Cusco 4 point rollcage (soon to be a full cage).
Custom rear upper strut brace.
Bride Low Max (genuine) drivers side.
OMP harness.
OEM passenger seat.
Black suede door cards.
Deep dish steering wheel.
25mm steering wheel spacer.
Custom short shifter.
400mm broadway interior mirror.
Fire extinguisher.

SUSPENSION.

Meister-R coilovers.
Whiteline panhard rod.
Front upper cusco strut brace.
Cusco rollcage.
Custom rear inside strut brace.
OEM anti roll bars. (for now).

BRAKES.

Front turbo grooved discs.
OEM front pads (terrible).
HEL front brake lines.
OEM rear discs and new pads.
Tegiwa BMCS.
OEM ABS.

Congrats! Who is the feature with?

Can't believe you're running stock brakes on TD04, I hated them at 0.7 on CT9 :o

WMS now stock ST185 discs for a direct bolt on kit ;)

Congrats! Who is the feature with?

Can't believe you're running stock brakes on TD04, I hated them at 0.7 on CT9 :o

WMS now stock ST185 discs for a direct bolt on kit ;)

Speed Hunters.

Lol jk - Japanese Elite.

I know man, they're so bad lol. Pretty sure the ABS doesn't even work as it's locked up before in the wet. And i'm also certain the rear brakes don't work what so ever.

I need some decent pads too but don't have time atm to fit stuff except on weekends really.

LOL had me going then!

People say to just ditch the ABS! ST185 setup would set you back about £100 for calipers and carriers and then £80 odd on discs and I can vouch for the setup, ridiculously good value for money!

LOL had me going then!

People say to just ditch the ABS! ST185 setup would set you back about £100 for calipers and carriers and then £80 odd on discs and I can vouch for the setup, ridiculously good value for money!

Haha I wish man!

I will get rid of the ABS at some point for sure man. Really!? That's not even that much man.

Is it all brand new parts then?

Unfortunately not brand new parts nah, the calipers and carriers will probably be used. Unless you want to order new ones?

But I can vouch for them, running 1 bar on track I went in on them HARD for 20 mins. They were silly good, didn't even fade once and that was 20 quid OEM pads!

Unfortunately not brand new parts nah, the calipers and carriers will probably be used. Unless you want to order new ones?

But I can vouch for them, running 1 bar on track I went in on them HARD for 20 mins. They were silly good, didn't even fade once and that was 20 quid OEM pads!

Oh right yeah cause I looked on their section and couldn't find the ones you said lol.

Nice man sweet! Cheers :).

They do discs new of course, it's a recent addition to their catalogue I believe. But yeah, they're awesome! They're really sharp and this is before BCMS and braided lines, I don't have ABS though if that makes any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Well you will all be pleased to know I've ditched the time attack idea, simply can'not be fucked!

Wooden splitter is off and put the carpet and glove box back in.

IMAG2208_zps0b157ee8.jpg

IMAG2207_zpsb5a8c33f.jpg

Can't really be fucked with the car anymore, may seriously put it up for sale in the next week.

Edited by Rbz.

I have cup holders but can't use them dam DVD CD player lol

Your always pissed off with your car lol :)

The dvd player is TOO DAMN HIGH!

I know, I know. It makes me sad, I just want a new car really. But I wouldn't know what to get anyway.

Haha, oh dear, make up your mind man lol.

Just go fuckin all out time attack total slag as fuck, who cares about passengers anyways. Just get another car aswell for winter or whatever man.