Browner's Fully Restored 1984 Toyota Corolla GT Coupe =) LOTS OF NEW PICS! FULL PAINT DETAIL & 'BEST TWINCAM AWARD'

Well folks as some of you know I bought a very, very clean twin cam recently. This is my 1984 red over black early spec twin cam. The car has now been fully restored from top to bottom.

It was stripped to a bare shell and bead blasted and re painted before being built from the ground up. There are a lot of brand new parts on the car and it really is in showroom condition.

The car was imported with a standard one way diff from factory and standard exhaust etc. This car has never seen any abuse and was never diffed.

This is the car as it sits now, these shots were at the AE86 Track Day in Mondello on Sunday...

cam.jpg

cam1.jpg

Underneath the car is like brand new... You can see your face in the fuel tank, not like the usual rusty old tanks

cam12.jpg

Here is some pics of the car stripped down...

cam2.jpg

On the spit...

cam3.jpg

Preparing for paint...

cam4.jpg

During painting...

cam6.jpg

cam7.jpg

cam8.jpg

cam9.jpg

cam10.jpg

Bumpers masked and painted...

cam5.jpg

Engine bay painted...

cam14.jpg

All four arches painted, brand new shocks, springs, brake discs etc fitted...

cam13.jpg

All four calipers were fullystripped down and rebuilt, I have never seen brakes as good on a twin cam!

Donor car...

cam11.jpg

As it sits now...

cam15.jpg

cam16.jpg

cam17.jpg

cam18.jpg

cam19.jpg

These arrived for me in the post. Brand new red 8.5mm Magnecor leads. I wanted rid of the blue ones that were on it asap

100_1048-1.jpg

Picked up a couple more new bits...

Picked up a brand new genuine Toyota aerial for the wing...

100_1157.jpg

Also picked up this brand new adjustable strut brace for the front...

100_1153.jpg

I painted these rocker covers black and done the raised parts polished while I wait for my oem factory rocker covers...

image_zpsab25206c.jpg

I've done a lot of work with the car in the last 6 months. I have fitted a new UK spec factory LSD to the car. The diff was built to my own crownwheel and pinion and fitted with a brand new axle gasket kit and new diff oil.

The missing windcreen seal at the top of the windscreen was fitted

Leaking cam shaft oil seals replaced along with a new steering knuckle as there was a slight knock from the steering column

The old horn was re-wired as it hadn't worked properly and a brand new aerial fitted to the wing. Brand new Pioneer speakers were fitted in the dash where the original ones had blown.

After a very long time searching I finally came across a very, very clean UK red and brown tweed interior which would have been original to the car. I had to get some bolsters re-puffed and elastics replaced in the doorcards but it looks mint now. The upholsterer done a superb job.

The brand new stainless steel Janspeed exhaust system is now fitted and sounds sweet, especially for a new exhaust which hasnt been broken in. I also had the stainless Janspeed manifold machine polished before fitting.

A new UK front grill with the proper front badge was fitted and also two new UK wing mirrors as the adjusters were broken in the old ones.

I got the original stickers for the rear axle and under the bonnet and engine bay made up. Its these little small details that will really finish off the car.

I then got the whole car paint detailed. The whole car was wet sanded from 1500 grade paper right back to 2500 grade paper for a super smoothe finish. I wanted a few high spots in the paint flattened and a couple of small polishing swirls removed. Several grades of compound on a machine polisher and several coats of wax and polish later and the car looked sex...

On the way home with it after getting the full paint detail...

twincam2_zpsce74eb84.jpg

One last coat of Super Resin Polish in the garden before I brought it down to the drag racing day at Tullow, the first time the car has seen the road in over 6 months...

twincam4_zps53389bb6.jpg

This is a nice pic a friend took down at the car meet...

twincam1_zps14a11ded.jpg

After spending so much on the car now and having it just how I wanted it with all the small details covered I decided to thoroughly clean it (again!) and put it away in a bubble. The protective bubble keeps constant air circulating around the car to prevent moisture and therefore mould, dampness, rust or corrosion. This is the beauty when it arrived... :)

twincam3_zpseed260be.jpg

I'll get more pics asap and a few of it in the bubble ;)

Browner

Well guys only getting to update this now but a lot of tidying has been done with the car recently. All quite minor bits like missing plastic covers for over bolts and screws etc and small minor details that I wanted to have just right.

I had the car fully detailed and a full paint detail done by my good friend Ian in Elite Autoclean. His work is top class and he spent almost 4 days on the car.

He cleaned the car from top to bottom including interior fully washed and steam cleaned, the car put on a ramp and the underside completely cleaned and polished, exhaust polished, engine bay detailed, wheels cleaned and sealed and a full body treatment undertaken.

The results speak for themselves! I was delighted with his work and the 1984 gt coupe was ready for the Donegal rally...

image_zps0a0d680e.jpg

image_zpse92c5c62.jpg

Engine bay fully cleaned and detailed...

image_zpsc2decf3d.jpg

image_zpsab114843.jpg

Those who know me well may notice the little personal touch in the back window... Lol

image_zps2cf0b974.jpg

Underneath fully cleaned, polished and sealed. Exhaust fully polished...

image_zps54c13d58.jpg

Had a great weekend in Donegal for the rally and saw plenty of other lovely twincams. They are getting a real rarity these days so it was great to see so many in one place.

I entered the car into the sold out 'Show & Shine' event up there and it won "Best Twincam Award - Donegal Rally 2013"

Happy days! :)

image_zps57edac16.jpg

More updates soon... But for now it's back into the bubble she goes!

Regards,

Browner.

Edited by Browner
  • 4 weeks later...

Cheers guys. No I sold the white one. The white one wasn't as clean it was only for messing in really. The white one had a great diff etc for road painting lol the red over black is just bog standard factory condition... Standard air box, standard exhaust, standard one way diff etc etc it won't be faulted. Lot of dollars put into it though. I'm quickly learning that twin cams are far from cheap!

• 2 weeks later...