I loved my civic ej9, still miss her to this day!, slammed on her tits on coilovers eventually.. And it stuck like anything to the road!.. And to be fair I had a play with a friends brand new twin turbo BMW 116, and safe to say the little d14, put him to shame.. Haha gear ratios are incredibly long upto 4th and 5th! That's what makes them fun!

Plus like everyone says.. The noise is just fucking incredible!!

But on the flip side.. Every time I get in the 82... I smile.. And constantly smile.. Until I have to fill up with fuel every 30 fucking miles! Or what it seems like anyways!... Like everyone else has said.. Civics.. Common as muck.. But for a very good reason.. They are good,cheap,reliable fun cars.. And are a penny a dozen now a days for parts etc etc..

That's another reason I got the 82... There's only mine and one other in Plymouth.. That I know of... It's rare.. Quick.. Still jap.. Still reliable! Cheaper on insurance! And tbh.. So so so so much more fun! Nothing beats boost.. Unless like socks said.. Is turbo boost.. Then your laughing!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if you think you kept up with one on the track in your Starlet with some coilovers, that was down to the driver. The Starlet chassis is very very basic and they need a few upgrades before they handle as good as a Civic.

I take it this was aimed at me? lol

I'm not asking you to care, I'm giving my experience which is what the OP wants to hear, arguments for and against the cars. Yeah a Starlet will need a few upgrades but to say a Civic will shit all over one? Clearly not in my case.

Secondly, if I "think" i kept up with one? So gaining distance over 2 laps isn't keeping up with one? OKAY :lol:

Lastly, I'm not claiming a Starlet isn't basic, I'm disproving people that claim EPs can't handle. And for the record, I'm pretty sure the EP3 had coilovers and the driver was certainly not holding back on the throttle. Anyone will agree that a fairly basic NA being able to keep up with a 200bhp hot hatch is respectable.

Edited by Amjad

In my personal experience I love my gt it's fast reliable and bloody good fun but I can remember have a dabble against jacks type r and they are also quick and kept up with me easily tbh and I'm running 230bhp and watching him in that motor I can safely say that his civic would out handle my ep hands down and I've got the balls to hammer mine into a corner but they just seem that bit better than a starlet when it comes to cornering , may the like of Jamie's Glanza with a cage and a few more handling mods would be able to give em a proper run for there money on a hard drive or track

I take it this was aimed at me? lol

I'm not asking you to care, I'm giving my experience which is what the OP wants to hear, arguments for and against the cars. Yeah a Starlet will need a few upgrades but to say a Civic will shit all over one? Clearly not in my case.

Secondly, if I "think" i kept up with one? So gaining distance over 2 laps isn't keeping up with one? OKAY :lol:

Lastly, I'm not claiming a Starlet isn't basic, I'm disproving people that claim EPs can't handle. And for the record, I'm pretty sure the EP3 had coilovers and the driver was certainly not holding back on the throttle. Anyone will agree that a fairly basic NA being able to keep up with a 200bhp hot hatch is respectable.

No lol you got the wrong end of the stick there mate, it was just meant in general, you always see people on forums saying I kept up with {insert car here} in my .... but it doesn't really mean anything without knowing the full spec of each car as well as both driver's ability. I was just stating that the Civic chassis is "better" than the Starlet but that's not to say Starlets are incapable of going round corners, mine certainly wasn't!

At the end of the day though it's more down to personal preference, I loved my Starlet but comparing it to a Civic, both cars with uprated suspension but the same tyres, when you get on the limit in the Starlet the front end tends to just wash out whereas in a Civic it feels more controllable, the back end feels alive compared to the Starlet which I think is down to the simple setup on them.

I do like Starlets though, the main thing that gets me is the lightness, not many cars are really that light when you look into it. EP3's for example are easily over 1100+ kg infact I think they're more towards 1200kg.

Edited by ste91

If a glanza/GT come out the factory with all the TRD gear on i.e cage coilovers LSD antin roll bar's etc etc then it would be just as good as a civc but becuase toyota sold them in standard form from the factory people think they are shit at handling.

And a non independent suspension i think the GT/Glanza handles realy well to other non independent suspension cars like saxo's corsa's and so on

Edited by micky boy

Tbf the gt/glanza was never designed to go head to head with civics from factory, that was the corolla's main target

Gt's

Swift gti's

Mk2 golf gti's

Ax gt's

Carade gtti

Renault 5gtt

Glanza

106 gti

Saxo vts

Mk4 golf gti's

Whilst

Civic sir / vti / type R

Corolla levin/trueno 20v

Mitsi mirage cyborg R

Nissan pulsar vzr neo vvl

Etc etc

Edited by morgey

Hasnt the civic type r converted back to a solid bean rear axle now?

The uk model has yes (FN2)

But the 4 door saloon FD2 uses full independant still and is quicker round a track that DC5 integras!

Edited by morgey

Plus you have to remember.. Ep3's and such like are much newer then the likes of a GT, so obviously more time/money/research and technology was put into the making of the ep3's etc.. which gives it an upper hand before it's even left the factory.. even the likes of the eg's ek's etc etc... and not to mention the fact the ep3's and the rest we're sold in the uk from dealers.. and are still being sold to this day, so they have been adapted to uk roads etc etc!

Again a possible advantage over the GT's?

Just a bit of food for thought there!

You still can't knock them both.. both great, quality built, reliable, fun good cars!!! and for the price.. I'd happily spend say for example £10k.. (EXAMPLE BEFORE I GET SHOT DOWN! HAHA) tuning and making a honda or starlet super stupidly quick.... then go spend £250k on a super car.. every single day of the week!

but that's just my personal preference!

I have owned an ek4 vti before i got the glanza, have to say that my ek4 with bolt on upgrades was quicker, at least it felt faster than my glanza. (currently running .7 bar).

But the glanza's handling is more tight which means more fun around corners.

Anyway, I'm sure that the glanza has more potential in being faster than a Civic both in speed and handling.

To get a civic produce more than 200bhp requires more than just bolt ons which will be costly.

As for a glanza its rather easy and cheap(er) to get these results and also it has less weight.

went from a civic to a glanza to a civic. all depends on personal preference, i found the seating position in the glanza to be a little high and standard for standard civics dick all over EPs...IMO

went from a civic to a glanza to a civic. all depends on personal preference, i found the seating position in the glanza to be a little high and standard for standard civics dick all over EPs...IMO

Civics will handling wise. There are obvious advantages to having individual suspension. And the seats as standard in an EP91 are shockingly shit.

BUT I drive my car knowing the flaws and it makes it more fun. Slides more, goes quicker and isn't as tedious as VTEC. VTECs just ÜBER lag with little reward lol

Correct handling setup and wheel choice will easily make the glanza a good handling choice over civics like mickyboy said you just have to know you limits and grow some.

Things like harnesses and proper seats help to give you confidence in the lil buggers

No lol you got the wrong end of the stick there mate, it was just meant in general, you always see people on forums saying I kept up with {insert car here} in my .... but it doesn't really mean anything without knowing the full spec of each car as well as both driver's ability. I was just stating that the Civic chassis is "better" than the Starlet but that's not to say Starlets are incapable of going round corners, mine certainly wasn't!

Alright man, no hard feelings. Yeah Civics have a better suspension type but that doesn't mean to say Starlets can't handle, something the OP may have been told a lot by people who don't have much, if any experience with EPs

It's a shame we don't see anywhere near as many EPs taking it hardcore on track, but hoping that we'll see more of that at JF2!

I'll try my best in my GT, that's for sure!

If you havent owned a civic you cannot comment lol but that said i think a civic would handle better than a starlet but ive owned a few civics one being the best civic ever made an ef9 SiR and that car was the best handling car ive owned. Not as quick as my v was only running 160bhp but was very light just like a starlet. But you cant really beat a starlet for there power they are awesome where the civic lacks that and as someone above mentioned loads of people own them now and think there the best things in the world with there GAY ASS STANCE please just stop it!!!!

I was never bored of my civic but i always wanted a glanza running 200+ before i wanted a civic but i chose a civic first as they were cheaper at the time. Its a very hard one to compare imo

Not to mention it takes an absolute age to hit v-tec!!.. In my personal opinion.. Boosted Vtec is a massive huge mofoing win!

Not it doesn't... sorry but that one really gets on my nerves, first gear is always short so the redline comes up quite quick anyway, and then once you're on VTEC you don't come off it. If you're rolling in a higher gear, just go down a couple of gears and you're on VTEC immediately.

It's the same as turbos, okay there will be a slight delay with them but it's not huge, first gear is short so you don't have to wait long, then once you're on boost just keep it planted through the gears, it's not like you have to wait for it to spool every time you change gear as long as you keep the revs up.

It's like that pointless test they did on top gear with the Evo in 5th gear vs some shitty car and the shit car pulled away. It proves nothing because anyone with half a brain would change down a few gears, and you don't buy an Evo to cruise around everywhere in 5th gear.

^

Lol spoon_tuned you got that right with the stance thing, gay as fuck!

Edited by ste91

Not it doesn't... sorry but that one really gets on my nerves, first gear is always short so the redline comes up quite quick anyway, and then once you're on VTEC you don't come off it. If you're rolling in a higher gear, just go down a couple of gears and you're on VTEC immediately.

It's the same as turbos, okay there will be a slight delay with them but it's not huge, first gear is short so you don't have to wait long, then once you're on boost just keep it planted through the gears, it's not like you have to wait for it to spool every time you change gear as long as you keep the revs up.

It's like that pointless test they did on top gear with the Evo in 5th gear vs some shitty car and the shit car pulled away. It proves nothing because anyone with half a brain would change down a few gears, and you don't buy an Evo to cruise around everywhere in 5th gear.

^

Lol spoon_tuned you got that right with the stance thing, gay as fuck!

Bang on mate doesnt take ages to get to vtec because when you hit it your constantly in it when planted.

Yeh stance is ruing the civic scene and anyone with a stanced civic people go mad on the forum for them a guy had a standard lsi on civiclife but lowered it with deep dish wheels and he had like 3,000 comments or something stupid and my ef9 hadnt even got 500 and its rare as shit and was well looked after by me lol

Its a joke

Bang on mate doesnt take ages to get to vtec because when you hit it your constantly in it when planted.

Yeh stance is ruing the civic scene and anyone with a stanced civic people go mad on the forum for them a guy had a standard lsi on civiclife but lowered it with deep dish wheels and he had like 3,000 comments or something stupid and my ef9 hadnt even got 500 and its rare as shit and was well looked after by me lol

Its a joke

White civic eg lsi, with XXR wheels and number plate saying LIOOOW ??

If so; my mate bought it, and we raised it straight the way with non stretched tyres/wheels. (It Had a b16 fitted)