The word "Glanza"

Hi guys and gals,

A lady friend of mine asked me the other day "what does Glanza mean?", to which I replied, I don't know, probably sausages.

It made me think is there an actual meaning to the word or is it some clever model marketing speil that some witty Jap came up with when the Glanza was on the drawing board at Toyota? Is it a translation of a Japanese word perhaps? :)

Your thoughts please. :)

Toyota Starlet Rocket V..

suppose the V is roman numerals, meaning 5?

Toyota Starlet Rocket 5.. or Toyota Starlet Little-Flyer 5 :)

But then what does the S stand for in Glanza S? ^^

Glanza Slow? :)

But then what does the S stand for in Glanza S? ^^

Glanza Slow? :)

most likely, its got an N/A engine..

lol, It cant be that bad!

Some good replies people. I read about that knickname "the flyer" somewhere. Was just wondering if Glanza literally meant Flyer.

• 5 years later...

I was looking for the meaning of "Glanza" on the net and stumbled onto this – and also this:

http://www.toyota-global.com/faq/vehicles/origin/0099/

Starlet Glanza

Glanza is created from the Italian word granz, meaning "to shine."

I guess it makes sense when you consider that the 2 other models in the 9 series were named "Carat" and "Reflet"

Edited by mindless

The S and V model names don't seem to mean anything from what I can tell, other than being an easy way of separating N/A and turbo variants. They were used on a lot of other Jap-spec Toyotas from the early to late 90s in the same way. The Chaser Tourer S (N/A) and Tourer V (turbo) are another example.

Toyota just seemed to like using letters to separate the trim levels. IIRC, the JDM Vitz came in F (base), U (European-spec) and then the RS, but I don't know that for sure.

• 2 months later...

I was looking for the meaning of "Glanza" on the net and stumbled onto this – and also this:

http://www.toyota-global.com/faq/vehicles/origin/0099/

Starlet Glanza

Glanza is created from the Italian word granz, meaning "to shine."

I guess it makes sense when you consider that the 2 other models in the 9 series were named "Carat" and "Reflet"

From my limited knowledge of Italian, ''to shine'' in that language is ''splendere'' . The same word found itself into English as ''splendor'' which of course has similar connotation.

The word is more closer to ''lanza'', which of course means ''lance''