Taggys EP70 Boxy, Forged TD04, 5E-FTE

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

funny you should say that i just posted up for info on it, its next my agenda of purchases for Christmas :)

Can't wait to see these pics :p still think u should get a emu this car needs launch control!!!

You can overspin the turbo doing this and yes the impeller will get faster and faster

Its the same if the wastegate is open i guess, even if your doing 8000rpm the turbo is still blowing as much as it can, just its dumping it down the exhuast. It doesnt spool up faster and faster to self destruct :) I think the natural wind resistence on turning the impeller will limit that.

The wind and rain stopped me getting good shots as i didnt want to stay outside more than 2 mins! Managed to get these ones, ill get some better ones on the weekend.

IMAG0124.jpg

You can see it routes down and to the right, we had to cut out some metal to get it in to make it fit inbetween the radiator on the right.

IMAG0126.jpg

It then goes into the intercooler on the right, note how i have removed the bar from the centre of the bonnet, the intercooler fitted nicely under the bonnet catch, but as the bar was removed the catch wouldnt support its self so you could no longer close the bonnet as the catch would bend. If you look carefully you can see two additional bars ontop of the intercooler on the left and right, these hold the intercooler in place but also take over the job of the middle bar that we removed. I also had to move the horn :), the rad has also been repositioned to the left by about 2 inches.

IMAG0127.jpg

The intercooler piping then pops out the top on the left and we have done a 180 back down to the turbo and 180 back into the turbo.

IMAG0128.jpg

A better view of the intercooler behind the front grille, its sitting too low at the moment and the bumper is obscuring the intake. It gets a feed from the bottom but i want to increase this, as only about 25% of the rad is in the open air. I plan to make some plastic vents which force the air to flow down to the IC from the front grille.

IMAG0129.jpg

I just need to go and get some clips for some of the fittings now as a couple of places are missing them. Those with a keen eye will notice that the power steering pump isnt there so its makes lots of space by the oil filter which is handy.

Well chuffed so far though, i am hoping for some nice weather now to take it out :p I promise to get a video update of the car running on the weekend with any luck, preferably me burning off some bigger cars ha ha.

Finally finished, i just need to wire my FCD in and stick a boost gague in and I am good to go ;) I'll have that sorted in the morning then its out for some bonkers driving ;) I took it out earlier but as expected it was hitting fuel cut, but it certainly gave an idea on how its gonna go. It feels so light and that it wants to go mad in a straight line!

EP70 (boxy starlet) 4EFTE Turbo conversion part 16:IC plumbed in!!

http://youtu.be/hiL0TThaCio

need some drive by vids ;) should try get it weighted be intresting to see what it is now.

spoted u were going for the emb rather than a emu id prob go with the emu tbh gives u alot more movement if u decided to go for bigger power.

I actually went to get it weighed the other week but they were on strike!! I'll see if i can get it done tomorrow when i am out in it. Get some fly by vids too then ;)

need some drive by vids ;) should try get it weighted be intresting to see what it is now.

spoted u were going for the emb rather than a emu id prob go with the emu tbh gives u alot more movement if u decided to go for bigger power.

Finally finished, i just need to wire my FCD in and stick a boost gague in and I am good to go ;) I'll have that sorted in the morning then its out for some bonkers driving ;) I took it out earlier but as expected it was hitting fuel cut, but it certainly gave an idea on how its gonna go. It feels so light and that it wants to go mad in a straight line!

EP70 (boxy starlet) 4EFTE Turbo conversion part 16:IC plumbed in!!

http://youtu.be/hiL0TThaCio

video is private tag

bloody phone keeps doing that! Sorted it now ;)

I just had it weighed too today and its coming in at 778kg with a full tank, a bit heavier than the 750kg stock quoted figure, but i think the engine and gearbox were heavier and so were the coil overs.

Happy days!

video is private tag

Turns out my HKS actuator has packed in which was a close call as it was making my car overboost as the wastegate couldn't open. Just ordered one of these Forge Actuator bad boys from James, so looking forward to getting it.

FMPAC900.jpg

bloody phone keeps doing that! Sorted it now ;)

I just had it weighed too today and its coming in at 778kg with a full tank, a bit heavier than the 750kg stock quoted figure, but i think the engine and gearbox were heavier and so were the coil overs.

Happy days!

This car has never had it so good, its off to Avia Autos in Bridgend to get a full dollop of race handling :) if thats even possible in this little box lol!

Gonna get it:

Corner Weighted

Full Geometry setup for aggressive track use

Coilovers setup and the ride height sorted out (currently its rubbing over the bumps as its so bloody low!)

I have been to Avia a few times now and its a first class service, guy has been racing for years and knows his stuff!!

Their address is

Avia Speed shop

4-8 Queens Court

Bridgend

CF31 3TQ

Good times!

Whats the deal with the mahoosive length in intercooler pipe from the turbo? Could you have not rotated the compressor and made it miles shorter?

Does these wee things have the same setup on the rear? (suspension wise?) If it is, all you can really get is the tracking done, and camber on the front and obviously the height set. Damper settings are all down to personal preference as to how you like the car to handle :)

I guess i could have rotated the turbo in hindsight, I had just given the car to the pipework dude at the time and said make it fit!! Its no longer than what it was on my ep82 so didnt bother me to much.

Yes your right with the suspension, the rears are a fixed axle so you cant adjust the camber on them.

It desperately needs doing though as its handling kinda weird at the moment since i swapped them over, the front geometry is all out of whack so looking forward to getting it sorted.

Only problem i have now though is my coilovers are seized to hell with that lockring, i dont even know if hes gonna be able to adjust the height on them, gonna whack a load of pentrating oil on them tonight for him, i hope that will help!

Whats the deal with the mahoosive length in intercooler pipe from the turbo? Could you have not rotated the compressor and made it miles shorter?

Does these wee things have the same setup on the rear? (suspension wise?) If it is, all you can really get is the tracking done, and camber on the front and obviously the height set. Damper settings are all down to personal preference as to how you like the car to handle :)

If the coilovers are abit of a pain and seized up then try and use an oil filter chain orr evern better get 2 of them also see if someone can give you a hand makes life much eaiser! thanks to luke ep for that idear i managed to unseize mine by this method :)

A hot air gun on the rings will help by expanding them off the strut a bit. Aluminium expands more for a given rise in temperature than Iron (and therefore steel...I think...) so if it all gets hot it'll still help.

Get some tinfoil and exhaust wrap on the strut body thinking about it, that'll keep it cooler than the rings!

(soooooo need to see this thing in action!)

Coilovers I want to smash the fuckers!!!!

Went to the garage today, i knew that the coilovers on my car hadnt been adjusted in over 3 years so i knew they were going to be a right cahooont to work on, I didnt even bother working on them my self as i didnt have the tools i needed, but it still turned into a nightmare, managed to get the drivers side suspension free to adjust the height, but the passenger side is jammed, have got the rings off on the top and the bottom but it will not rotate for love nor money had a torch on it it the lot.

He said i could soak the whole suspension in paraffin over night and that should sort it he reckons, we tried for about 2 and half hours with no luck, pissed me off because it cost me over £100 in labour!!! I was expecting him to say don't worry just bring it back and charge me less but the fucker charged me full whack!!

Not sure what to do now, try again to see if i can free it up, send it off to be serviced by D2 or just buy a new one. Seems a shame though as otherwise it works fine.

Arggghhh!!!

Nice car dude

Buy the rings again from D2 (they must do spare parts?), then CAREFULLY hacksaw into the stuck ones to create a neat slot, but stop short of the strut's threads. Then use a chisel in the slot (again take your take and DON'T cut into the strut) and you should be able to stretch them, or even split them into "C" shapes.

Them take them off and fit new ones. In the meantime get some Coca-cola (or other acidic liquid!) on it, it'll disolve the aluminum oxide/rust.

Look up "freeing stuck seat post" on mountain bike forums via google!!! :)